Place to Stop and Stay overnight enroute from Sacramento to Long Beach

Hello,

I am going aboard the Carnival Splendor in June out of Long Beach CA. We care coming from the Sacramento the afternoon day before and were planning on stopping for the night. Has anyone done this before? Where would you recommend we stop at? Thank you in advance.

Cruise nurse 1

Hello,

I am going aboard the Carnival Splendor in June out of Long Beach CA. We care coming from the Sacramento the afternoon day before and were planning on stopping for the night. Has anyone done this before? Where would you recommend we stop at? Thank you in advance.

Cruise nurse 1

I'd probably go all the way to the port and stay at a hotel there. That way you don't have to get up early in the morning of the cruise.

I'd probably go all the way to the port and stay at a hotel there. That way you don't have to get up early in the morning of the cruise.

I'm with Shmoo on this. Plus, you can probably find a hotel that will give you free parking while you cruise and a free shuttle to the pier. The San Pedro Doubletree does this, and there's probably one near the Long Beach pier that does it too.

Take a look at the route your are taking... see if there is anything along it of interest to you...from Sacramento you could go inland or along the coast, so hard to make a suggestion. I prefer the coast route myself... Santa Barbara come to mind as possible stop over, not cheap but lovely place.

Hello,

Cruise nurse 1

I don't know anyone who would not drive straight through without stopping overnight from Sac or SF to LA or even San Diego. On the other hand, unless you really need a car once in SoCal, it's far more efficacious to fly there. Definitely "pennywise and pound foolish" to drive from Sac to LB for a cruise.

Driving from Sacramento to LA you are bound to be stuck is some traffic along the way. If you still decide to drive down, I would avoid ALL So. CA freeways M-F from 7 am to 10 am and again from 3 pm to 8pm, so you're not crawling along with those who commute to work.

Some people don't understand that many of us can't handle 6-8 hours sitting in a car, even with occasional breaks, so if this is your reason for breaking the trip into 2 days, then don't let others talk you out of it. Flying is still the faster option and there are many inexpensive flights for this route. By the time you factor in gas and parking it may be cheaper.

The most direct, shortest driving time is to take 5 all the way; if you did this, there's really no attractive place to stop. Just look for somewhere about half way, pick your favorite chain hotel and be on your way. The 99 option is a little longer, a little less boring, but not much of an improvement. Taking that route, I'd probably stop in Bakersfield, which would allow you to cross the LA region at non-peak rush hour times. Neither of these routes are particularly scenic.

The nicest trip, though longer, would be to go towards the coast, then down to San Jose where you could pick up 101 south. You could also cut to the coast and take Highway 1 part of the way, but it is still closed near Big Sur, won't reopen until September. Taking 101, I'd stop in Santa Barbara, which would again allow you to cross LA at non-peak traffic hours.

I would go all the way and stay in Long Beach. Generally when we sail out of San Pedro I just drive down on the day of the cruise. We leave from the Bay Area so I jump an early AM start and can have lunch on board.

It's a 6 1/2 hour drive down I-5. Why would you stop half way?

Heck, leave at 5AM and you can have lunch on the ship.

Having done both

Fly and drive to So LA and San Diego, flying can end up cheaper than driving but otherwise you can break it up and I would stay the night in Morro bay, Monterey, or Santa Barbara very nice but little more costly. And as mentioned earlier, staying on the Queen Mary for the night a great obtion. It right next to the Carnival pier. I visited the Queen Mary few weeks ago during a Princess cruise port call and was told there offering some good pricing for cruise customers. Then you walk to the ship and they have parking garage, not sure if garage part of Carnival now or Queen Mary. Lots of upgrade work been taking place on the ship. Looking nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is only 408 miles and interstate all the way. Averaging 70 MPH, it is only going to take you less than 6 hours. Why would you want to stop?

DON

Just for the sake of accuracy, the speed at the beginning (Sacramento area) and near the end (Los Angeles) can often average more like 7 than 70. [emoji102]

The OP did state they were leaving Sacramento in the afternoon. That could be late afternoon and they don’t want to drive after dark.

If this is the case, I would agree with Kartgv and try Bakersfield, or shoot for Santa Clarita and get through Grapevine.

I have done many trips from Seattle to San Diego and will usually shoot for Sacramento my first day (12hrs), to make the second day shorter. Usually that second day is 10 hrs. because of traffic. If you can get out of Sacramento very early morning, then I would say just go all the way.

It is only 408 miles and interstate all the way. Averaging 70 MPH, it is only going to take you less than 6 hours. Why would you want to stop?

DON

Sorry, but no one averages 70 MPH for the whole trip from Sacramento to Long Beach, unless it's the Highway Patrol with lights flashing and sirens blasting.

Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant. It is located in Coalinga, CA, about halfway between Sacramento and Los Angeles. I stayed there for New Years a few years ago. There are also a few places nearby, and it's about 3 hours 10 minutes from Long Beach. And, yes, it's that Harris Ranch that also provides high quality meats.

However, I still would advise that you arrive in Long Beach the night before your cruise.

The OP did state they were leaving Sacramento in the afternoon. That could be late afternoon and they don’t want to drive after dark.

If this is the case, I would agree with Kartgv and try Bakersfield, or shoot for Santa Clarita and get through Grapevine.

I have done many trips from Seattle to San Diego and will usually shoot for Sacramento my first day (12hrs), to make the second day shorter. Usually that second day is 10 hrs. because of traffic. If you can get out of Sacramento very early morning, then I would say just go all the way.

Missed that. In that case, it really does not matter where you stop. It is just a place to sleep.

DON

I'm in SF East Bay. I drive down to So Cal frequently as I have children there. Have also driven down same day several times to both Long Beach and San Pedro for a cruise. I've left from early morning to late in the day.

The drive down I-5 is fairly easy -- set the cruise control at 75, stay to the right unless you are passing, and enjoy. Along with the normal roadside services/eateries there are rest stops every 60 miles or so. If it were me I would push all the way through so you have an easy leisurely morning before you board. If you must have a stop, I would at least get over the grapevine, or just before the grapevine. I personally strongly prefer I-5 over Hwy 99. Unless you want the drive down to be a sightseeing tour, I would not stray far from I-5.

I guess I'm not adding anything that really hasn't been said. Have a good trip.

PS: Good steaks at Harris Ranch!

We have driven down to LA or San Diego many times for cruises. I-5 is the fastest way, CA-99 is longer and slower. If you can make it all the way down, staying in the Long Beach area would be the most convenient thing. Santa Clarita would be my second choice. If you can't make it all the way down, I find Buttonwillow or Lost Hills to be good stopping points.

Something else to consider is that debarkation morning is usually a very early morning. We find that we can only get about half way back before we can't keep our eyes open! So, we now plan on stopping on the way home.

Hmmm...

Leaving Sacramento in the afternoon, I-5 will be relatively easier than Hwy 99.

However, you'll have more places to stop on Hwy 99 and the spring blossoms (plums, apricots, peaches...) and vineyards can still be enjoyed along the way.

Approximately 30 minutes south of Bakersfield, and just before you climb the Grapevine, is the "Outlets at Tejon", on the east side of I-5. We recommend this area because it is just about where I-5 and Hwy 99 merges.......most importantly, where my boss (my wife) will ALWAYS stop.........one word: shopping. :D

There are plenty of places to eat, gas stations, and a Best Western hotel. From here, you'll be approximately 2 hours to Long Beach.........well, the traffic on the 405 can make this longer. Drive safely and Happy Sailing! :)