Much better $$$ using a TA vs RC website. What gives?

I have been researching my cruise for next spring break for about a week now. I priced out the RC website with multiple configurations for Harmony (3 rooms). I finally decided to call a well known 3rd party agency. I was able to save a significant about of $$ using the TA. I was very surprised in the savings. I'm talking 1000$. I just wonder how they can do that. Anyone have experience or insight?

From our experience TAs get "blocks" of rooms at discount. The larger the agency the better the deals they can pass along. This includes, OBC, Spa treatment, 1-2 free Dinners and more.

My experience with using a TA is that typically the room is the same price regardless if I book direct or now. The TA usually adds additional perks and often they amount to a significant and additional savings.

that has always been how I have seen it. This is the first time that I have actually booked a significant saving for the actual cabin cost. (cabin+taxes+fees).

I used to book through Costco travel but deals aren’t as good anymore, last few times booked directly with RCL. I know we can’t mention specific travel agencies, but what should I look for in a TA? So many online and not any brick and mortar shops around here, any recommendations?

I found my on line TA by going to the site where you can input the cruise you are interested in and several companies respond with offers. They “compete” for your business. I chose what seemed to be the best deal and I did some on line searching for the company’s reviews. When the reviews checked out to be good, I tried out the TA and have since then given that TA all my future business. He has been good about answering all my questions whether by email or by phone. I didn’t know about TA’s on my first cruise, I went directly through the cruise line, but I probably missed out doing so.

From our experience TAs get "blocks" of rooms at discount. The larger the agency the better the deals they can pass along. This includes, OBC, Spa treatment, 1-2 free Dinners and more.

Which can be so frustrating when they block off cabins...and then bail out on what they have not sold before final payment. Takes them out of inventory until then and makes booking and planning in advance a problem. :o

Which can be so frustrating when they block off cabins...and then bail out on what they have not sold before final payment. Takes them out of inventory until then and makes booking and planning in advance a problem. :o

What about the people who book several cruises with the full intent of only taking one, when they finally make up their mind? We have a friend, who at one time had nine cruises booked and only took two. The decisions weren't based on work, health or anything but finally making up their mind. We know several other people who do the same thing.

Not counting possible perks from being a group booking, TA's do not get any discount be reserving blocks of cabins. They are sometimes less expensive later because rates are higher

What about the people who book several cruises with the full intent of only taking one, when they finally make up their mind? We have a friend, who at one time had nine cruises booked and only took two. The decisions weren't based on work, health or anything but finally making up their mind. We know several other people who do the same thing.

One of the main things the new NRD fares is supposed to fix.

Not counting possible perks from being a group booking, TA's do not get any discount be reserving blocks of cabins. They are sometimes less expensive later because rates are higher

That's 100% wrong. We did a transatlantic on the Equinox in 2014. Our travel agent had a group booking of 200 cabins. For a concierge cabin we paid $200 p.p. less than through Celebrity. At that time that was huge as transatlantics were cheap to begin with. They also had a cocktail party, slot tournament, and wine tasting. With Celebrity's blessing, they had a desk set up to answer questions, and book cruises for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. It was only for people in the group, they checked.

We've had this opportunity a couple times before this, but I can't find my paperwork to give details.

That's 100% wrong. We did a transatlantic on the Equinox in 2014. Our travel agent had a group booking of 200 cabins. For a concierge cabin we paid $200 p.p. less than through Celebrity. At that time that was huge as transatlantics were cheap to begin with. They also had a cocktail party, slot tournament, and wine tasting. With Celebrity's blessing, they had a desk set up to answer questions, and book cruises for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. It was only for people in the group, they checked.

We've had this opportunity a couple times before this, but I can't find my paperwork to give details.

Like I said. The TA booked that group at a time when prices were lower. The amenities you received were from the cruiseline and possible more from your TA. If the TA didn't give anyone a free birth, it's possible they gave that dollar worth to the group too.

Same with any group booking . Depends on how much profit the TA wants to return to their clients

Two wrongs don't make a right. They are to blame also. Eventually I think you will see RCI make ALL reservations having non refundable deposits, which will put a stop to that practice. I always book the non refundable to save the extra $$. I book fully planning on taking that cabin and that cruise.

If an emergency happens, I know I am out that deposit until final payment....but seems emergencies come up after final payment most of the time anyway. Then you are out a lot more.

The airlines make you pay up front in full. ;)

I have been researching my cruise for next spring break for about a week now. I priced out the RC website with multiple configurations for Harmony (3 rooms). I finally decided to call a well known 3rd party agency. I was able to save a significant about of $$ using the TA. I was very surprised in the savings. I'm talking 1000$. I just wonder how they can do that. Anyone have experience or insight?

Sounds like there was a price drop from the time you checked RCI online and the TA or the TA knew of a price drop in the works because normally you only get a few incentives from the TAs. Sometimes they match RCI OBC so that could get doubled or you get a few specialty dinning certificates (as was our case this cruise) but seldom do you see THAT large a difference.

I found my on line TA by going to the site where you can input the cruise you are interested in and several companies respond with offers. They “compete” for your business. I chose what seemed to be the best deal and I did some on line searching for the company’s reviews. When the reviews checked out to be good, I tried out the TA and have since then given that TA all my future business. He has been good about answering all my questions whether by email or by phone. I didn’t know about TA’s on my first cruise, I went directly through the cruise line, but I probably missed out doing so.

I did this also.

But did not pick the "best deal" but the one who offered the service I needed, and I felt, from their contact with me, that they were interested in ME as a client.

One thing I needed was price monitoring, as I travel internationally a lot, and cannot easily check pricing.

This is why RCI instituted the non-refundable deposits on GS and higher. People were booking even 10 or more, and only taking one.

Two wrongs don't make a right. They are to blame also. Eventually I think you will see RCI make ALL reservations having non refundable deposits, which will put a stop to that practice. I always book the non refundable to save the extra $$. I book fully planning on taking that cabin and that cruise.

If an emergency happens, I know I am out that deposit until final payment....but seems emergencies come up after final payment most of the time anyway. Then you are out a lot more.

The airlines make you pay up front in full. ;)

And the full amount is non-refundable on most fares. And there is a big change fee, and some fares, no changes are allowed. Fly the booked flight or lose the money.

Been like that for many years.

The TA receives a commission from the cruise line for the booking. While group bookings are sometimes the source of savings, really big savings come from those TA who choose to share a portion of their commission with their customers. Savings of up to 10% are not uncommon with TA who share.

When you find a good TA who gives savings such as these, then you have found a gem.

The TA receives a commission from the cruise line for the booking. While group bookings are sometimes the source of savings, really big savings come from those TA who choose to share a portion of their commission with their customers. Savings of up to 10% are not uncommon with TA who share.

My TA always gives us OBC and free grats. Lately, I've made 2 bookings for the same cruise. She apologized she has only one "group booking left" and the other was the "regular" rate -- 2434$ vs. 3014$ :D

I'm monitoring price drops myself, since their site is very user friendly. Yes, I have to call them in order to apply the drops. Still, the savings are worth "losing control of the reservation"....

Could you share this agent info with me? We are looking at Harmony for next June. My email is rachastain at g mail com Thanks! :)

I normally book directly with the cruise line. However, I wanted to use points from my credit card in order to be able to get a suite and booked through the credit card TA. I have not found them to be of any value in extras. In fact, when others in our party reported a sale and called the cruise line directly they received $126 off their cabin. When I called my credit card TA - nothing. I think their is a big difference in the TA that you pick.