RC vs. Holland America -- New England w/kids

Looking for opinions for a summer (July) cruise to Canada/New England.

Options:

- 9-day on RC Grandeur from Baltimore (Grand Suite)

- 7-day on Holland to/from Boston/Montreal (we are agnostic on the direction on the ship). (Neptune Suite)

2 adults, 2 children (almost 3 and 6 years old). We have done one cruise before (1-week to Alaska on Celebrity. Loved Celebrity but their only availability for New England/Canada this year is July in their rather expensive high-end suites) so we think we can do it again.

Anything we should consider beyond the obvious of itinerary, etc. when comparing these two?

Thanks.

Not sure how important the RC Adventure Ocean program for children is to you, but the almost 3-year-old would not be eligible. Kids have to be 3 on the day of sailing and completely potty trained. No pull-ups allowed. Also, have to be potty trained to swim - no swim diapers. No sure of rules on Holland America.

Overall, I would say RC is considered a more family oriented cruiseline. Holland America usually has an older clientele.

HAL is for dead people!:cool:
My wife and I have cruised on HAL twice and have another planned. The demographics are never a consideration. The itinerary is always our primary goal.

You are missing out on a lot of very wonderful and often unique itineraries if you allow passenger age to determine which cruise you book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

My husband and I cruised HAL to NE/Canada when we were 33 and 34 respectively (and I was 14 weeks pregnant!), we are still very much alive! We choose cruises for itinerary first, ship second. But now with kids, ship can make or break a vacation i think. I would choose the RC ship as long as it is stopping at PEI, Quebec, and Montreal.

Grandeur goes to Halifax and Saint John.

Maasdam / Veendam goes to Sydney, Charlottetown, Quebec and Montreal.

Itinerary alone I will choose HAL.

RCI ship onboard will WOW you.

HAL ship onboard will unWOW you.

A cruise in July that is less than 10 days will have more families regardless of lines

Itineraries are quite different. I think I prefer the Holland one:

RC: Baltimore->Boston->Portland->Bar Harbor->St. John --> Halifax-> Baltimore

Holland: Boston->Bar Harbor-> Halifax-> Sydney->Charlottetown->Quebec City->Montreal (or vice versa in the opposite order)

We chose the Maasdam to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. It had the Alaska itinerary we wanted. Although we had already been to Alaska twice before, both were 7 day itineraries. The 14 day Alaska cruise on the Maasdam was fantastic! Yes the ship was older and didn't have the WOW factor of the Radiance of the Seas, or the beauty of the Star Princess, but has a understated elegance of its own.

We have plans to take one of the longer HAL New England/Canada cruises in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app