Nonexistent price drops?

garnet115

I have an alert on the fish site and it keeps sending me price drops for Feb 2018 NCL crusies, but then when I go to check the drops aren't there. I know NCL can change prices frequently, but this is happening multiple times a day. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm getting frustrated.

I have an alert on the fish site and it keeps sending me price drops for Feb 2018 NCL crusies, but then when I go to check the drops aren't there. I know NCL can change prices frequently, but this is happening multiple times a day. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm getting frustrated.

Maybe the problem is with the "fish site", not NCL?

It's a problem with that site. Some have suggested that the cruise lines are deliberately sending bad data to mess up the site (which does not seem inconceivable to me), but if you read the forums over there, the site owner also seems to have become unresponsive to these issues. So for the moment at least, I would not rely on this resource for monitoring your fares.

This has been happening for several months. First there are price hikes followed by price drops back to the original price. Someone posted that it is NCL doing something to cause these spikes and the fish site is working on a way to catch the changes and not send out a notification.

Set your alerts for all price changes, not just drops. That way if you get a price hike alert then get a price drop alert, just ignore it.

lol I really wish I could figure out the clues to this so called fish site

I'm usually good at this but I haven't a clue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do a Google search for "Cruise Fish Site". Now you have a clue. ;)

The first solution would be to check your settings for when they alert you. I never click to alert whenever the "price drops", I always set it to alert if the price drops below a certain price (and put in the price I paid). I am currently monitoring a cruise and have not had any false price alerts. If they are just raising the price and dropping it quickly that could help with that.

Titus, the webmaster, has posted in the past several months that his day job keeps him so busy he has little to no time to keep the fish up to date.

Maybe it's going the way of the "Shark", remember that one ?

I had that problem last year for our June cruise but no issues this year with our May cruise or the one I have schedule for 2018. When it was happening, the emails generally came in very late at night or early morning. Basically times that most people on the east coast are sound asleep. When I'd get up in the morning, the price increase & price drop emails would be sitting in my mailbox.

Even if the cruise line is playing around to confuse things, I'll continue to use the fish. It's saved me a few $$ on several cruises.

• 1 year later...
I had that problem last year for our June cruise but no issues this year with our May cruise or the one I have schedule for 2018. When it was happening, the emails generally came in very late at night or early morning. Basically times that most people on the east coast are sound asleep. When I'd get up in the morning, the price increase & price drop emails would be sitting in my mailbox.

Even if the cruise line is playing around to confuse things, I'll continue to use the fish. It's saved me a few $$ on several cruises.

In my humble opinion, the "fish" site is way dead.

I have been a loyal member of the "fish" almost sense Titus started it many years ago.

The Cruise Industry has out smarted him and the site is virtually dead, he will still take your money and it may occasionally work (but it is rare), but the cruise lines that haven't caught on soon will.

We have 7 cruises booked and I used up all my left over credits on them (just to get rid of them) and not one or any previous cruises for the past year or so have produced anything but up and down confusion, nothing that was ever for real.

The "fish" blogs on its own site are no longer responded to when someone has a complaint or question.

I just posted last week on the "CxxxxxFish is dead" and although I had a good relationship with Titus (the owner) he pulled my postings. It said post had been suspended, please contact "contact at cxxxxxfish dot net", mail came back as "un-deliverable"...

He really needs to close that site down and stop taking peoples money.

the few of you that claim you have gotten recent "price drops", good for you, they are rare if exist at all...

Buyer beware and like I told Titus, I cannot believe I am unsold on his site, sad but true!

I just saved $100 for a cruise in 2020 thanks to the fish. I even shared it with my FB group so my PCC was making adjustments for a couple of days.

Well your one of the lucky ones, a few cruise lines are still working. Just a matter of time, most are not...

Congrats!

I didn't use the fish site but did notice on our Sky cruise last week that the prices were changing numerous times a day, sometimes twice an hour in the weeks leading up to it. Maybe the site was correct but you didn't check quick enough?

I have a fare watch set up on another site for two cruises and my January 2019 San Juan gets multiple "updates" a week with price drops and price increases... But I can immediately go to NCL.com and there will be no change what-so-ever. It's very strange.

That site is horrible, basically unusable.

Yep, hit and miss, way mostly miss.

Like I said, only a few cruise lines left that just kind of work SOMETIMES!!!

Used to work always but the cruise lines figured it out and have almost shut it down.

Try to get a reply from Titus dr oesnt happen he has closed down the email address...

Sorry CF!

Almost if not worse than the airfare racket. Price drops and you have to pay a change fee of $100 or more

to take advantage of the price drop.

Book the best deal you can and stay with it - only perhaps bidding on an upgraded cabin.

If this fishy website was as good as it started out to be it still would be in business.

Cavet emptor

And a whole lot of other wisdom - - -

I could never bash Titus and the fish. After the shark went under I signed up with the fish and Titus has saved me a few thousand dollars. Twice on NCL in suites I had hits for $800 that was only up for a few hours. I’ve also had some $400 hits on Princess and a lot of small ones along the way. Where else can you put a dollar down and possibly get $800 or more back on your investment?

I have invested at the most $50 in fish credits. If Titus made a lot of money from his service, good for him. I think that sometimes people get a little too greedy and expect good things to last forever. You know that Titus has cost the cruise lines a lot of money and the site is still working for me. Bottom line is we should all be looking for our own breaks if it is that important to us.

I am very grateful for the fish and the service it provided and miss the tool. But reality is when you buy credits, the credits should work. There is no reason for anyone to buy new credits with how that site works today, unless you are wanting to make a goodwill donation.

I am very grateful for the fish and the service it provided and miss the tool. But reality is when you buy credits, the credits should work. There is no reason for anyone to buy new credits with how that site works today, unless you are wanting to make a goodwill donation.

BINGO!

CF has saved us thousands too, I was among one of Titus first and very loyal customers. I have defended him through thick and thin.

But right and wrong are another thing, you look on his site blogs and other areas on the www and by far the cruise lines have won this battle...

If your still getting discounts on your bookings then good for you but the vast, vast majority appear to be getting ripped off because he still sells credits on his site.

He knows the very few cruise lines that are still working and he should let it be known so people are not buying credits for the ones that are not working.

If he did that I am sorry to say he'd be closing his doors which are 3/4 closed anyway.

I am sorry, and never thought I would bad mouth Titus but he can't/won't honestly communicate anymore. Read some of his blogs and see how long it's been since he has answered people's questions. It hasn't happened in a very long time.

Try to email him or customer service him and it comes back as undeliverable. That tells me the business is closed down nobody's managing the program...

Sad but true, we have lost a valuable tool because most the cruise lines have re-coded their price structure and Titus can't adjust his programs.

Dont blame the cruise industry, it's a business and they have squashed an annoying bug in their way...

You can still watch your pricing but you have to work at it. Some of the lines are starting to solve the whole pricing thing all together their testing the waters so to say.

Princess for example just started a new "Sale/promotion" that if you read the small print, your deposit is non-refundable, WHOA NELLY!!!

WEe have almost 50, 14 day cruises, rhat becomes the norm, we are done...

The cruise line business has forever been a dirty business for its customers and employees, but thats a new topic.

Read the book "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea", an older book but the practices have not changed much. Big reason out of all the cruise ships out there, only 1, an NCL ship is US registeted so it can run Hawaii exclusively without running a foreign port

Again, another story..

Buyer beware!!!

So good for the very few that are still getting discounts, your a dieing breed...

I never invested in their alerts when they used to work, now they are mostly useless as several cruise lines seem to have a way of creating random price spikes and drops in his system. I will still use the site as you can look past the garbage data spikes and get the basic pricing trends by looking at each cabin category graph or price table. The historical data is also very nice to have access to.