Mini bar contents

marylovestotravel

I noticed that people have commented that there are snacks in the mini bar. What are they and can you make a request for something different before boarding? Like for Kit Kat or Cadbury's chocolate bars instead of Twix? Tonic Water or ginger beer?

Thanks,

Mia

Hi Mia!

I am not sure if you can request things before you board, but I know that people have asked for special requests after they have met their cabin steward and the "candy man" (for lack of a better term, the one who restocks your mini bar - not the same person as cabin steward).

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in, I'm also curious on what the various options are. I'm sure they don't have an unlimited selection!

On our Barcelona , the Baltic & Beyond. There was not ginger beer on board......no Dark &n Stormies or Moscow Mules. If it is available on the ship they will make every effort to meet your request. If it is really a "need" better bring it with you.

Here is what was in our DV minibar: 2 bottles of Schweppes Tonic, six cans of soda and two candy bars (one Twix and one Mars bar). There is also one bag of chips that is not stored in the fridge but is put by the coffee maker. You can request whatever varieties of soda are available on the ship but the variety of candy bars never changed.

enhance

I noticed that people have commented that there are snacks in the mini bar. What are they and can you make a request for something different before boarding? Like for Kit Kat or Cadbury's chocolate bars instead of Twix? Tonic Water or ginger beer?

Thanks,

Mia

Unfortunately they don't have ginger beer, only ginger ale

Thanks,

Mia

There is so much food on board including all kind of desserts that it never occurred to us to ask. Our fridge (PV) had tonic water, coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Carlsberg beer. Two chocolate bars, tiny bag of potato chips and welcome bottle of Champagne. It's all still there. To be fair, we have silver package included so there was no need/time to open that bottle.

You could munch all day and all night long if you wish. There is always a place that has some sandwiches and some dessert. And there is always great room service :)

Edited by vnb2003
Missed words

Here is what was in our DV minibar: 2 bottles of Schweppes Tonic, six cans of soda and two candy bars (one Twix and one Mars bar). There is also one bag of chips that is not stored in the fridge but is put by the coffee maker. You can request whatever varieties of soda are available on the ship but the variety of candy bars never changed.

enhance

Thanks for sharing the picture. Looks like 2 of the sodas are regular Coke. Do you recall the other 4?

Thanks for sharing the picture. Looks like 2 of the sodas are regular Coke. Do you recall the other 4?

Sprite was another, just judging from the blue of the can and another might be diet Coke -- but I am guessing because I never looked (I'm not a soda drinker).

You can ask the mini-bar steward to stock it with whatever the have available. We had them switch to all Diet Coke.

And for those with alcohol in the minibar, you can also ask for the nips of your choice.

What is the recommended way to communicate the preferences to the mini-bar steward? Leave a note by the mini-bar? Call someone?

• Like 1

What is the recommended way to communicate the preferences to the mini-bar steward? Leave a note by the mini-bar? Call someone?

I'm interested in this too. Left notes in my mini-bar that were ignored :)

What's the protocol?

• Like 1

Not really mini-bar, but still drink related. I have seen one of the Daily papers which mentioned that the Silver Spirit drinks package does not include bottles of wine (which I knew) but also that drinks in Torshavn were not included.

Can anyone confirm or otherwise please

Not really mini-bar, but still drink related. I have seen one of the Daily papers which mentioned that the Silver Spirit drinks package does not include bottles of wine (which I knew) but also that drinks in Torshavn were not included.

Viking is constantly tweaking things so that information on old Dailies may be out of date now.

The most recent iteration of the drinks package does not specifically mention Torshavn; it also has some other changes including a new maximum price for drinks that are covered under the package and new pricing. The current package can be found here on MyVikingJourney or you can download an order form with the current info from the FAQ (under Life On Board).

There are some drinks in Torshavn that covered by Silver package. I was there 5 days ago and was introduced to Armagnac I didn't try before. We asked our barman Kir (spelling?) what can we have/try that was covered by the package and he said there are quite a few drinks he can offer. I loved the drink and have it every night :) we had a nice talk and he explained the drink in details. He also let me try it in two different ways. One of them keeping sniffer with Armagnac over the cup with hot water. :)

• Like 1

On our Barcelona , the Baltic & Beyond. There was not ginger beer on board......no Dark &n Stormies or Moscow Mules. If it is available on the ship they will make every effort to meet your request. If it is really a "need" better bring it with you.

Last time I cruised the bartender didn't know what ginger beer was, only ginger ale. :o

• 8 months later...

DV and lower cabins--soda only and tonic water. You may not request water or juice.

Got one bag of Lays chips (regular, vinegar or paprika) and 3 mini Toblerones daily.

We had SSBP and requested Pellegrino (included in package) via a note in the minibar. Result was a bottle of Pellegrino and $5 charge to our account.

You may call and order beverage package drinks for no charge via room service. But they will not stock them in your minibar.

Edit---if you are in PV or higher they will re-stock alcohol, I believe. Not sure if PV or higher can get bottled water or juice.

They have told us they are out of Evian as of day 2 or 3 of our cruise.

Yes, DV and above mini-bars are supposed to be restocked daily, including alcohol for those cabins which include alcohol. Restocking means they will replace what has been used: if 6 soda slots are empty, they will fill them; if only two are empty, they will be filled. The mini-bars start with an assortment of sodas (and nips) but you may request a different mix -- all diet, no diet, etc. DV cabins may pay for alcohol for the mini-bar. The price list will be in the cabin when you arrive. The soft drink vendor is CocaCola, so you will see those brands in your fridge.

V cabins are filled at the start of the cruise and the contents is yours to consume; however, if you wish to have the contents refilled, you will be charged according the price list.

DV with SSBP— no alcohol in minibar.

Nor can you request water or juice for minibar.

Only soda-which seems weird considering Viking’s demographic.

All boomers I know do not drink soda-diet or otherwise. Unless perhaps ginger beer for a mule.

If Viking wants to stay current I would think they would drop the soda and add some flavored sparkling water-Dasani or similar. Plus the option of juice in the minibar, especially if you have purchased upgraded beverage package.

DV with SSBP— no alcohol in minibar.

Nor can you request water or juice for minibar.

Only soda-which seems weird considering Viking’s demographic.

All boomers I know do not drink soda-diet or otherwise. Unless perhaps ginger beer for a mule.

If Viking wants to stay current I would think they would drop the soda and add some flavored sparkling water-Dasani or similar. Plus the option of juice in the minibar, especially if you have purchased upgraded beverage package.

Not sure we need bottled water in the minibars when there are environmental friendly carafes of water, sparkling and/or still, placed in the cabin twice a day and bottled water is available whenever we leave the ship, not to mention that you can get water from any of the bars for the asking.

Not sure we need bottled water in the minibars when there are environmental friendly carafes of water, sparkling and/or still, placed in the cabin twice a day and bottled water is available whenever we leave the ship, not to mention that you can get water from any of the bars for the asking.

Yes-of course I agree with using the carafe for still/sparkling water.

What seems odd, to me, is the emphasis on soda in the minibar specifically.

Perhaps in my circle we are out of the norm. I don't know anyone my age (or anyone other than teenagers) who drinks soda---sugar-free or sweetened. Folks drink plain water, 100% juice, unsweetened tea or fizzy water (LaCroix). That would be more welcome to me in a minibar. But that's just me and my taste.