Viking response to OBC and gratuities

jabrown40

Received this email from Viking in response to my question re the use of OBC from my TA, towards gratuities:

Thank you for reaching out with your question.

I am happy to confirm that Shipboard Credit can now be applied toward gratuities aboard our ocean vessels.

Please feel free to reach out should you have any questions before departure. We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard Viking Sea in February!

Sincerely,

Edited by CC Help Jenn

Have our first trip with Viking next month......and it’s a back to back!

Not that it really matters, because it is what it is but how much are gratuities per day, per person?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have our first trip with Viking next month......and it’s a back to back!

Not that it really matters, because it is what it is but how much are gratuities per day, per person?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you get your cruise docs, it will be covered in the booklet that is part of the package. Look in the section entitled "Before you go." Currently, it is $15 per person per day but that doesn't mean it won't change in the near future. The section also explains that tips are automatically added to your account but that you may have them removed or add/subtract from the amount. (NOTE: This not apply to non-US/CAN pax; their tips are pre-paid.)

Thanks for that info, I wasn’t sure either. This was good news for me too, I can cover both my silver spirits package and gratuities with my onboard credit with a little left over!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

This is the email I received today:

While shipboard credits cannot be used for gratuities they can be used for optional excursions, drinks, gifts and other onboard purchases.

I sure hope this person is wrong; I have a very large OBC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We recently returned from our Italian Sojourn cruise and had an awesome time! This was our first Viking Ocean (or any Viking) experience & it exceeded our expectations!

While onboard we booked another cruise & know we have 60 days to transfer it to a TA.

>This is where some confusion has set in as we have received incentive offers from a few TA's but with a wide $$ difference. I thought I had read somewhere Viking restricted what a TA can offer - is this accurate?

Lastly, any suggestions for excellent TA's for cruises are most welcome! Thanks in advance!!

We recently returned from our Italian Sojourn cruise and had an awesome time! This was our first Viking Ocean (or any Viking) experience & it exceeded our expectations!

While onboard we booked another cruise & know we have 60 days to transfer it to a TA.

>This is where some confusion has set in as we have received incentive offers from a few TA's but with a wide $$ difference. I thought I had read somewhere Viking restricted what a TA can offer - is this accurate?

Lastly, any suggestions for excellent TA's for cruises are most welcome! Thanks in advance!!

https://www.vikingcruises.com/terms-conditions/advertising-and-commissions-policy.html?ep_mid=11372360&ep_rid=1526716329

A Travel Agent may combine a Published Price with non‐cash marketing incentives, provided the following conditions are all met:

• The non‐cash marketing incentives are part of a sales & marketing plan promoting Viking products to be redeemed and used onboard the booked Viking cruise.
  • The actual or perceived total retail value (in USD) of the non‐cash marketing incentives cannot in the aggregate exceed the following: (i) for one (1) to seven (7) nights on Viking vessel, $150 per guest; (ii) for eight (8) to fourteen (14) nights on a Viking vessel, $300 per guest and (iii) for fifteen plus (15+) nights on a Viking vessel, $500 per guest.
  • For any non‐cash marketing incentives that are not redeemable from Viking during the Viking cruise, then the retail value of the non‐cash marketing incentive offered or provided by Travel Agent cannot exceed $100 per booking for agency branded items.

Sorry but we are not permitted to share our travel agents on this site, but travel agents are permitted to give you OBC per the above.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/terms-conditions/advertising-and-commissions-policy.html?ep_mid=11372360&ep_rid=1526716329

A Travel Agent may combine a Published Price with non‐cash marketing incentives, provided the following conditions are all met:

• The non‐cash marketing incentives are part of a sales & marketing plan promoting Viking products to be redeemed and used onboard the booked Viking cruise.
  • The actual or perceived total retail value (in USD) of the non‐cash marketing incentives cannot in the aggregate exceed the following: (i) for one (1) to seven (7) nights on Viking vessel, $150 per guest; (ii) for eight (8) to fourteen (14) nights on a Viking vessel, $300 per guest and (iii) for fifteen plus (15+) nights on a Viking vessel, $500 per guest.
  • For any non‐cash marketing incentives that are not redeemable from Viking during the Viking cruise, then the retail value of the non‐cash marketing incentive offered or provided by Travel Agent cannot exceed $100 per booking for agency branded items.

Sorry but we are not permitted to share our travel agents on this site, but travel agents are permitted to give you OBC per the above.

----

Thanks Carol, I meant to remove the question about TA's as I forgot it was against CC rules.

So my confusion or perhaps concern is how a 'brick & mortar' TA is offering twice the allowable amount as permitted as per Viking rules ($1,200 vs. $600 for 11 days, 10-night cruise). It brings to mind "if it sounds too good to be true...."!