Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Hi All. We are boarding Viking Sun in LA on Friday. There are considerable World Cruisers already on board from Miami. There is no way I can document such a trip by myself so I encourage all my fellow cruisers and those creative souls that are already posting on the Viking Sun Roll Calls to pitch in here and feel free to speak their minds. Also, any and all "lurkers" or other Cruise Critic users that are interested just jump in and post comments and/or questions here. I will try my best to answer or there will be others who will give it a go. As you might guess, this trip has been long in the planning stages. In fact ours goes back to a Transatlantic Crossing on QE2 in the 1990's. We were going back to visit family in England and picked up a World Cruise brochure. This, of course, led to comments about "some day". Well, due to a combination of events and over 20 years tucking money away, "some day" is now. Some would say "now or never". You never know what the future brings health wise. We have already "met" many fun people on the Roll Call and look forward eagerly to meeting the real people. Early reports from the Viking Sun are, for the most part, extremely good. I will try to post information at least daily (internet service willing) so ask anything that comes to mind. For now, finishing up yard work, bill paying :eek: and laundry for packing. More later.

Thanks for starting this WC thread for your and other WC'ers observations, comments and humor. I have been following two WC blogs. Looks like they are having a great time and each day is full of activity, even sea days.

Yes, it goes to so many p,aces we have always wanted to go and didn't think we would get to. But going away for four months, being at sea for a week at a time, these things give me pause. But I am going to call Viking tomorrow. I must have a hundred questions!

Yes, it goes to so many p,aces we have always wanted to go and didn't think we would get to. But going away for four months, being at sea for a week at a time, these things give me pause. But I am going to call Viking tomorrow. I must have a hundred questions!

It seems there have been a million things to get done in order to be away from home 4 months. Viking helps with Visas and, of course, makes it easy to pay but even stuff like prescriptions are somewhat of a hassle. Over 90 days supply can cause many insurance plans heartburn. And I have never been on a cruise ship for 4 months. Used to work at sea and often be gone 6 months or so but that was work. Mostly not fun. Will try to give a real time feeling for what it is like. I know there are a few times we will look at the sea days after a long tour port as being very welcome.

Thanks Jim...this will be a tremendous help for all of us taking the WC. FYI, the Roll Call thread was started on Oct 9, 2016 and in the 14 months it is up to 195 pages and 3,887 posts! We've been an active group...with lots of shared, helpful information.

Hey, Jim. Just posting this so I can get your updates as a thread subscriber. We leave tomorrow to catch SD2 in STT. (Staying in Miami until day of sailing, though.)

I just can't imagine being away for four months, but with Zimmy's practice and mine, that is really out of the question for now. Hope you and Lois have a wonderful trip and a happy New Year.

Hey, Jim. Just posting this so I can get your updates as a thread subscriber. We leave tomorrow to catch SD2 in STT. (Staying in Miami until day of sailing, though.)

I just can't imagine being away for four months, but with Zimmy's practice and mine, that is really out of the question for now. Hope you and Lois have a wonderful trip and a happy New Year.

Back atcha Trapper. We know you and Zimmy will really enjoy missing some of this deep freeze in Chicago. Lois says " its why I left Chicago at 17". Glad she moved to Florida and met me!;p:cool:

On behalf of the VCC (Vicarious Cruiser Crew), many thanks for taking this on. You guys have already been a ton of fun — looking forward to more!

I also have been certified as a member of the VCC. Sooner or later you make one...:cool:

Thanks for this open invite [which you may regret ;p].

Here are some questions that occur whenever I consider a world cruise:

• do the dining room menus get repetitive [e.g. Celebrity only has 14 menus -- that could be a problem on a world cruise!]

• does the entertainment change often enough to keep it fresh?

• same question re enrichment lecturers

• does the cabin seem to get smaller as the months tick by?

• is there enough closet space to handle 4 months' worth of clothes and stuff?

• how much Internet does it take to keep up with your private life [online bill pay, family email, etc.]?

• do you get homesick?

I know you can't answer any of these now -- please file them away somewhere to reflect on as the cruise gets into its second half. Thanks!

I also have been certified as a member of the VCC. Sooner or later you make one...:cool:

Guess I should have been more specific: VWCC (Vicarious World Cruise Crew). We had a wonderful trip on the Sea, Bergen to Montreal. Spoiled me for going back on any of the big mass market lines. I’m almost as envious of your time on that beautiful sister ship as I am of what you’re going to see and experience!

Wow, Jim and Lois! So thrilled for you to be doing this. I would absolutely love to be “floating” for four months around the globe. I’ll be lurking around and following you. For now I’m looking forward to another Caribbean SD in a couple weeks. (With a low maintenance roommmate this time!:eek:) Happy New Year to you both and Enjoy your wonderful trip!!

Robin

• do the dining room menus get repetitive [e.g. Celebrity only has 14 menus -- that could be a problem on a world cruise!]

• how much Internet does it take to keep up with your private life [online bill pay, family email, etc.]?

• do you get homesick?

I know you can't answer any of these now -- please file them away somewhere to reflect on as the cruise gets into its second half. Thanks!

Thanks Jazzbeau. Quite a few good questions. I can answer a few and will learn the answers to the others.

First, we just got off a 7 day Christmas Cruise on Oosterdam. We looked at each other and said we could never stay 120 days in that cabin/ship. But we lived on our 47 foot boat for 7 years so are ok adapting to and living in small spaces. Cabins on Viking Sun look very nice.

Next, "supposedly" Viking are changing menus to reflect where we are in the world. Guest chefs have been mentioned as has special localized food events from time to time. Same with entertainment. On board entertainers rotated out from time to time and supplemented with local talent wherever we are. Polynesian dance team they brought aboard on Paul Gauguin was very good, for example.

I'll let you know if the walls start creeping in. As far as closets, DW says there are never enough. My clothes stow nicely under the bed. :eek:

Internet, according to onboard reports, seems perfectly adequate for emails, etc. just not good enough to stream movies, events, large files.

More as this progresses.:cool:

Wow, Jim and Lois! So thrilled for you to be doing this. I would absolutely love to be “floating” for four months around the globe. I’ll be lurking around and following you. For now I’m looking forward to another Caribbean SD in a couple weeks. (With a low maintenance roommmate this time!:eek:) Happy New Year to you both and Enjoy your wonderful trip!!

Robin

Thanks Robin, Happy New Year to you too. Keep an eye on those drunk roommates.....;p

Hi All. We are boarding Viking Sun in LA on Friday. There are considerable World Cruisers already on board from Miami. There is no way I can document such a trip by myself so I encourage all my fellow cruisers and those creative souls that are already posting on the Viking Sun Roll Calls to pitch in here and feel free to speak their minds. Also, any and all "lurkers" or other Cruise Critic users that are interested just jump in and post comments and/or questions here. I will try my best to answer or there will be others who will give it a go. As you might guess, this trip has been long in the planning stages. In fact ours goes back to a Transatlantic Crossing on QE2 in the 1990's. We were going back to visit family in England and picked up a World Cruise brochure. This, of course, led to comments about "some day". Well, due to a combination of events and over 20 years tucking money away, "some day" is now. Some would say "now or never". You never know what the future brings health wise. We have already "met" many fun people on the Roll Call and look forward eagerly to meeting the real people. Early reports from the Viking Sun are, for the most part, extremely good. I will try to post information at least daily (internet service willing) so ask anything that comes to mind. For now, finishing up yard work, bill paying :eek: and laundry for packing. More later.

95a719c4ae9f33d78b6e15e5ca1dd8b7.jpg

We are on the Viking WC not sure if pictures will come thru . Let’s try one, a rainbow on the bow of the Sun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

95a719c4ae9f33d78b6e15e5ca1dd8b7.jpg

We are on the Viking WC not sure if pictures will come thru . Let’s try one, a rainbow on the bow of the Sun

Jim, the trip from Miami has been perfect, only 1/2 day of heavy seas and the ship acted very well. Our time in Cuba was Wonderful and Viking went out their way to make sure we had a great time . Rode in a 54 ish Ford Convertible and had a ball! So much for all the naysayers! Go to Cuba , it was Fun and very Exciting.50e484a2881a204d0f5d1e62595ed2d8.jpg

• Like 1

• do you get homesick?

From the Viking Sun WC :

So far the menu has changed in the Restaurant, and Chef’s table . I must say that we have been in the Chef table 3 times and their menus have changed and are MUCH better than prior sailings . I think you have to think how many times does your menu at home change ?

The internet has improved and if we can cut down on the bloggers on board , we could all could have better service !

Homesickness- not yet, maybe by India it will kick in but they keep us busy as you want to be .

The closest space is subjective depending on your size of cabin . DON’T FORGET to use the space under your bed and pack clothes only for two weeks Make sure you have items you can double up on .

Remember if you can only afford a small cabin , go anyway, just spend more time in the public areas . Remember Viking gives you a lot of perks so use them all !

Happy Sailing !