Favorite places to snorkel?

Banks822

Which ports are your favorite ones to snorkel at? We have a cruise coming up in April and want to go snorkeling at least once at 1 of the 4 ports. We're going to Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Aruba, and Curacao. We figure it will be either Curacao or Aruba, but would love your opinions and advice. Also interested in your favorite snorkel spots in general for us to keep in mind for future cruises.

Curacao has several unspoiled reefs, usually best accessed from a catamaran than the shore. Aruba has a wreck off Fisherman's Shack Beach that attracts some large schools of fish. Tours can take you to some great coral spots on Grand Turk, as well as the Wall, where the sea floor drops off 7,000 feet.

But my favorite snorkel spots are Roatan - Tabayana, LFK, Maya Key - and Belize.

My favorite spot, so far, is Jalousie/Sugar Beach (beach between the Pitons) in St. Lucia. Have mainly only snorkeled in "St. Somewhere" (islands in the eastern/southern Caribbean). I've heard great things about Belize, Roatan, and the ABC's...hoping to get an opportunity soon. On our last Western Caribbean cruise, "Mother Nature" didn't exactly cooperate.

Belize and Honduras are 2 of our favorites also, but we snorkeled in Cayman Islands once and it was actually a Carnival excursion we booked last minute. They took us to 2 places. 1 was a sunken ship and the other was called Cheeseburger Reef. That was great snorkeling as well!

Which ports are your favorite ones to snorkel at? We have a cruise coming up in April and want to go snorkeling at least once at 1 of the 4 ports. We're going to Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Aruba, and Curacao. We figure it will be either Curacao or Aruba, but would love your opinions and advice. Also interested in your favorite snorkel spots in general for us to keep in mind for future cruises.

If you haven't snorkeled at The Wall/dropoff in Grand Turk, I highly recommend it. The ocean floor goes from 40 feet to 7,000 feet. It's really quite humbling and breathtaking.

Of the places you are going, I would do The Wall at Grand Turk. Very cool experience, and (in my view) Grand Turk ain't much on land,whereas Curacao is so beautiful and has so much to see not sure I would want to spend my time there in the water.

Since you were not specific, I'm a little off your cruise map-my favorite place to snorkel, El Cid hotel in Cozumel. the waters in the Bahamas are blue, but in mexico, they are a beautiful green-clear- but a totally different experience.

Have a great cruise.

Favorite place is Bonaire. But since you are going to Aruba i recommend getting the public bus to Catalina Beach. The trip will cost you about 5 bucks round trip and it is good snorkeling from the beach. You will need your own equipment. One of our favorite cheap snorkels. Enjoy!

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Actually the snorkeling excursion at Princess Cays (it's for experienced snorkelers only) is pretty darn good. Lots of fish and coral and the snorkel boat is never crowded.

My top 10:

1. Bonaire

2. Roatan

3. Belize

4. Princess Cays

5. Grand Turk

6. Grand Cayman

7. Cozumel, also the cenotes on the mainland

8. St. Maarten

9. St. Thomas

10. Aruba

I've also snorkeled at Labadee in Haiti, done the shipwreck in Aruba, the tugboat in Curacao, and the champagne reef in Dominica. Wouldn't choose to do any of those again.

Which ports are your favorite ones to snorkel at? We have a cruise coming up in April and want to go snorkeling at least once at 1 of the 4 ports. We're going to Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Aruba, and Curacao. We figure it will be either Curacao or Aruba, but would love your opinions and advice. Also interested in your favorite snorkel spots in general for us to keep in mind for future cruises.[/quote]

For future cruises .... Bonaire

My husband and I are in our 60’s and not strong swimmers but would love a snorkeling excursion. Thoughts ? Would we be safe since not strong swimmers and no experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which ports will you be visiting? That will help folks in giving suggestions.

Princess Cays snorkeling can be done off the beach. Excellent for beginners.

Grand Turk is famous for its wall. Great offshore snorkeling. Probably the best on the itinerary.

Aruba has excellent snorkeling, mostly far enough offshore that an excursion is required.

My husband and I are in our 60’s and not strong swimmers but would love a snorkeling excursion. Thoughts ? Would we be safe since not strong swimmers and no experience?

Lydgate State Park near Kapa'a on Kauai. A man made semi-circular jetty creates a fairly calm pool with a terrific assortment of fish. You can wade part way out and just duck your head.

Poipu Beach on the south shore provides more open, yet generally calm, snorkeling waters.

And then there's some of the most varied underwater terrain/sea life you'll ever see at the Tunnels up north on Kauai.

Honestly it depends on where you go. There are many places you would be fine. The best being Jalousie beach on st Lucia, it is right off the shore! Why not get a snorkeling vest? I am in my 40s and have MS and while I haven't ever had an issue, I get around pretty good with just bad balance, but I bought one just for peace of mind!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite so far is on the Big Island in Hawaii, the snorkelling at Two Step south of Kona is fantastic! Lots to see (fish, turtles, sometimes Monk seals and dolphins).

Plus it is right beside Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, which has some amazing historical sites and lots of parking.

• 3 weeks later...