How much pain will you live with for a dress shoe?

Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:22 AM.
Canada
16 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by Langley Cruisers
Hi Laura, back again to ask if you would consider a wedge sandal or another kind of sandal with a thicker heel? I see you are in Canada as am I; here are a few to just start thinking about
Those are cute, thanks for putting in the link. I think I'd be in the same boat as the slingbacks though :-( My best bet is a loafer that comes up high on my foot, but would't that look sweet with a LBD

Maybe I need to stick with pants where you can't see my foot.
226 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I wear uncomfortable shoes when I know I'm going to be sitting. Usually church or restaurant. I'm 62 and I will put up with a lot to look nice
New Mexico
5,481 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by lasparrot
Yes! We have been booked for several months. It started off just us, then another couple decided to join us, then the friends we've cruised with before, then her cousin, and now her cousin's friend, so it should be fun!

Thanks for the shoe suggestions. I have such a time with finding shoes that I only order online when it is possible to do a store return. Someday I might get adventurous and risk Amazon.
Panama will be very casual for me so no shoe issues on that one.
If you have Amazon prime it's easy to do returns. We have really limited shoe stores here so Amazon is my go to place. I tend to wear Tevas or go barefooted in the house.
New Mexico
5,481 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by lasparrot
Those are cute, thanks for putting in the link. I think I'd be in the same boat as the slingbacks though :-( My best bet is a loafer that comes up high on my foot, but would't that look sweet with a LBD

Maybe I need to stick with pants where you can't see my foot.
I often wear a long black dress from Chicos Travellers line with black flat sandals.
Houston,TX
141 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I might wear them long enough for the pictures, but thats it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Freedom - March 2018
Carnival Triumph - January 2015
Allure of the Seas - September 2014
Carnival Triumph - May 2014
Carnival Triumph - December 2011
Norweigan Sky - May 2011
Carnival Ecstasy - May 2010
Maryland's Eastern Shore
6,369 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I have a very wide foot and have trouble buying any shoes that fit well. I do have 2 pairs of black, strappy sandals that are perfect for formal nights. They are too thin on the sole and the balls of my feet hurt and usually my pinky toe. So not wearing either pair anymore. If my shoes hurt I will wear for pics and through dinner then back to the cabin to change shoes and or complete outfit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I learn something new every day!
Jane

Past Cruises
April 8 2016 RC Serenade of the Seas Caribbean
Sept 11 2014 RC Explorer of the Seas NE/Canada
Dec 3 2012 RC Explorer of the Seas Eastern Carribbean
June 20 2010 Carnival Pride Bahamas
Sept 2 2009 RC Jewel of the Seas TA
Jan 2009 RC Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean
Sept 11 2008 RC Explorer of the Seas Canada
Jan 2008 RC Brilliance of the Seas Panama Canal
June 2 2007 RC Radiance of the Seas Alaska

ONTARIO, CALIFORNIA
512 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by LH25
None, zippo, nada.

Granted I'm in my 50's now. In my 20s, I would have put up with the discomfort to look good.
I agree (altho I'm I'm my early 60's).....I wore uncomfortable shoes (altho they looked great!) up into my 40-50's.

Headed on a cruise in a week, ditched the most uncomfortable ones in favor of some older (but less uncomfortable) ones.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PRIOR CRUISES:

RCCL MONARCH OF THE SEAS, 1993, 7 NIGHT SOUTHERN CARRIBBEAN

RCCL MAJESTY OF THE SEAS, 1995, 7 NIGHT WESTERN CARRIBBEAN

RCCL LEGEND OF THE SEAS, 1998, 10 NIGHT TRANSCANAL

RCCL VISION OF THE SEAS, 2003, 7 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM, 2005, 7 NIGHT WESTERN CARRIBEAN

RCCL MONARCH OF THE SEAS, 2006, 4 NIGHT BAJA MEXICO

CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM, 2008 14 NIGHT ULTIMATE ALASKA

RCCL RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, 2009, 5 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

RCCL MARINER OF THE SEAS, 2010, 7 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

CELEBRITY EQUINOX, 2013, 11 NIGHT ULTIMATE CARRIBEAN

CELEBRITY CENTURY, 2014, 7 NIGHT PACIFIC COASTAL

CELEBRITY SUMMIT, 2015, 14 NIGHT NEW ENGLAND/CANADA

RUBY PRINCESS, 2017, 7 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVERIA
North Carolina
4,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I understand the dilemma. And wanting to look good, or cute, or whatever word you prefer, but I question how good anyone looks when their feet are uncomfortable. Our bodies respond to the pain and will compensate and do things without our knowledge to try to move or stand or do whatever it takes to lessen the pain...and in the end...when our bodies do that...or our faces have a slight pinch to them because of being uncomfortable, well...we don't really end up looking cute or good, or whatever positive word we want to use, at all.

I'm still in the dilemma a bit because I ruptured my ACL a few years ago now. With conservative treatment, I have had no surgery and live without an ACL, so footwear is something that I take very seriously. Especially on a cruise...which is full of shiny, easy to clean slippery surfaces...and stairs...and slick decks...and just lots of steps in general...all of which occur on a moving vehicle which can experience "turbulence" and so I opt for comfort and safety above all.

But I do strive to find style in the midst of that. Keep looking, I'd say. And get creative in your thinking. I found a pair of sleek bronze oxfords that I wore on formal nights...with dresses...and they were fabulous. I was so happy to have happy feet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Some people celebrate their 20th anniversary...
But we know the real party is at 21 years!!!
SoCal
145 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
None
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Dawn (Southern Caribbean) - January 2020
Norwegian Bliss (Southern Caribbean) - December 2019
Norwegian Pride of America (Hawaii) - May 2019
MSC Seaside (Eastern Caribbean) - September 2018
Norwegian Bliss (Panama Canal) - May 2018
MSC Divina (Western Caribbean) - November 2017
Norwegian Escape (Western Caribbean) - May 2017
Norwegian Breakaway (Bermuda) - May 2016
Norwegian Getaway (Eastern Caribbean) - May 2015
Norwegian Sun - April 2003
21,761 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
My feet have never been happy in heels or any shoe that's uncomfortable. Luckily I'm tall, so I never really felt the need to "go high". As I've gotten older, I feel like I'm on a constant hunt for shoes that are comfortable, well-made, supportive, and also look good. It ain't easy...!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor. (Horace)
Ontario
698 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
There is a spray you can buy to stretch shoes but I think it only works for real leather that would have some stretch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MOST RECENT

•October 2016 QM2 Eastbound
•October 2016 Celebrity Eclipse TA Broadway,Boston and Beaches
•December 2016/January 2017 Crystal Serenity/Island Holidays/Yucatan 21 days
•December 2017 Crystal Serenity Carib (14d)
•January 2018 Caribbean Princess
Panama
•May-June 2018 Crystal Serenity
22 days Rome-Dover
•October 2018 Scenic Eclipse Yacht Cuba in Depth CANCELLED
Jacksonville, FL USA
49,851 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
I agree with the "if it uncomfortable I don't wear it" premise.....I can't see wearing shoes that are going to cause me pain.
Fredericksburg, va. USA
88,375 Posts
Joined May 2001
If you have "problem" feet, you should not buy online...takes too much time to receive and return. Go to a shoe store and TRY SHOES ON! Wear them for a long time...walk around....fast and slow. Dance a bit! Do the things you'd likely do in them. If they don't feel good after 15 mins...they are not the right shoe for you. Shoes don't "become more "comfortable" if they don't start out comfortable!
Western PA
1,430 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I must be comfortable, but I also choose to wear heels all evening, every evening. The solution for me is to wear only heels with a strap (mary janes). Then they don't have to be overly snug, or stiff, to stay in place. No platform style, as they don't flex with my feet. Think ballroom dance shoes, but more attractive.
Canada
16 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
This is only the second time I've ordered online - I figured, what the heck, I'm not going to get to the shoe store before they arrive anyway. I do have problem feet and am learning what type of shoe works. Anything the an edge along the upper toe line is usually out: no ballet flats for me :-(

For some reason these are only moderately uncomfortable and not particularly painful. I've decided to keep them (and thanks for everyone's input!!!), even if only to wear on a date night at home. It is a rare LBD that looks great with flats! They were only $40 so not a big loss if I barely wear them. I MIGHT bring them on my next cruise for one of the formal nights, but I'll have flats as well. I am taking a suitcase as well as my carryon so I should have room/weight.

The rest of the time my shoes will be my ultra comfortable keen sandals, and I'll be thinking of you ladies when I slip them on ;-)
Texas
1,060 Posts
Joined May 2003
I have learned over the years not to wear anything even a little uncomfortable. By the end of the event or evening I am miserable just wanting it to be over with so I can get home and change.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Radiance - 2018 Alaska
Vision - 2018 Knitting Cruise
Liberty -2017 Western Caribbean
Anthem - 2016 New England
Adventure - 2015 Eastern Caribbean
Legend - 2014 Norway
Mariner - 2013 Western Caribbean
Radiance - 2011 Alaska
Ecstasy - May 2009 Western Caribbean
Conquest - Jan 29, 2006 Western Caribbean
Rhapsody - 2005 Western Caribbean
Rhapsody - 2003 Western Caribbean
Splendour - 1999 West/South Caribbean
North Carolina
6,087 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by cb at sea
If you have "problem" feet, you should not buy online...takes too much time to receive and return.

Um, no.

I live 1-2 hours from good shoe stores. Some stores or brands I like aren't available in my state in a brick & mortar store at all. It is FAR easier for me to order a bunch (typically brands I know well, even if I'm trying on different styles that might not work as well for my feet) and try on at home than to drive hours around all over the place. You do you, but that is NOT the only way or the easiest or the best way to get shoes.

As for how much pain I will endure- none. If a shoe isn't comfortable, I keep looking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn 11 night Alaska 8/31/2018
Azamara 10 night Thailand/Vietnam Nov 2016
Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986
Nevada
159 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by SheriAZ
I wear uncomfortable shoes when I know I'm going to be sitting. Usually church or restaurant. I'm 62 and I will put up with a lot to look nice

Same here! I have "dinner shoes"! Which means; from the car - to the restaurant - seat & eat - back to the car and home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Starr
"Cruising is not only a vacation, it is our moment to step away from land and embrace the sea with open arms to give thanks and enjoy the beauty of life"

Rhapsody Of The Seas - (11-17-2018)
Vision Of The Seas - (7/22/2017)
Enchantment of the Seas - (02-03-17)
Freedom Of The Seas - (10-23-16)
Allure of the Seas - (10-18-15)
Splendour Of The Seas - (7-5-14)