Singles on Viking

Twitchly

I have a dear friend who loves what she has heard about Viking Ocean cruises but wonders if she would fit in as a single woman. She would probably be traveling alone. What is the situation for single folks on Viking? Are there any? Or would she just be surrounded by couples?

I don't see why your friend would feel awkward as Viking passengers are a friendly bunch but of course you can give her your own opinion in less than a month when you're on board the Sky. See what you think then and report back to her.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just returned from the Mediterranean Odyssey on board the Star. I noticed on the second day the Assistance Cruise Director held a solo travellers meet & greet get together at 7.00pm in the Explorer's Lounge. This was advertised in the Viking Daily which is delivered to your stateroom the evening before or you can pick one up from the guest services desk. Viking also organise Meet & Mingle for guests who sign up to attend these here on Cruise Critic. I've been to two, one on the Homelands on board the Sea and the second on the Star. Both were good fun, meeting other guests who use CC and also some of the staff. There are drinks and canapes on offer. The invitation to attend the Meet & Mingle is placed in your stateroom upon arrival, giving the time and place. Do sign up for the M&M and enjoy.

• 1 month later...
The only issue is "2-for-1" fare, that means double price for a solo cruiser.
I just got off the boat as a solo traveler. It was fantastic. I met lots of wonderful people. A few other solo travelers and very nice couples. I was totally worth it. It stinks that its a double occupancy thing, but they treat you so well on board.

Sent from my VS995 using Forums mobile app

I just got off the boat as a solo traveler. It was fantastic. I met lots of wonderful people. A few other solo travelers and very nice couples. I was totally worth it. It stinks that its a double occupancy thing, but they treat you so well on board.

Sent from my VS995 using Forums mobile app

So glad you had such a nice time!

• 4 months later...
There's a single woman on the World Cruise right now and she's having a ball...I've been following her blog. It's her first cruise, too!!

Gee.... that sounds like me! And I'm going on the next one, too! Susan, aka Passepartout. My blog: https//:http://www.wordwrite.wixsite.com/passepartoutparttwo

• Like 1

Gee.... that sounds like me! And I'm going on the next one, too! Susan, aka Passepartout. My blog: https//:www.wordwrite.wixsite.com/passepartoutparttwo

DivaFeather (Susan aka Passepartout),

Will you be bringing your ukulele along with you again?:D

We became fans of yours shortly after you started posting on your last world cruise. It is incredible that for your first cruise you chose a solo world cruise. Your blog was fascinating and certainly conveyed your joy and enthusiasm with your decision to sail on Viking's initial world cruise experience.

We look forward to "Passepartout's" continuing posts about your adventures. You do have a way with words and are a great story teller.

We will be taking a cruise on the Viking Sun (British Isles Explorer) next May. It will be the first cruise for that ship after the upcoming world cruise. We are hoping that she isn't too worn out from her second circumnavigation in 18 months. 😉

Best wishes for another great cruise.

Senior Gators (Richard and Margie)

DivaFeather (Susan aka Passepartout),

Will you be bringing your ukulele along with you again?:D

We became fans of yours shortly after you started posting on your last world cruise. It is incredible that for your first cruise you chose a solo world cruise. Your blog was fascinating and certainly conveyed your joy and enthusiasm with your decision to sail on Viking's initial world cruise experience.

We look forward to "Passepartout's" continuing posts about your adventures. You do have a way with words and are a great story teller.

We will be taking a cruise on the Viking Sun (British Isles Explorer) next May. It will be the first cruise for that ship after the upcoming world cruise. We are hoping that she isn't too worn out from her second circumnavigation in 18 months. 😉

Best wishes for another great cruise.

Senior Gators (Richard and Margie)

Thanks, Richard and Margie, for the ‘fan mail’ ! Sorry you won’t be on the next WC. Re: Will the ship be ship shape for you?: The afternoon before we disembarked in London, I asked a steward ‘How long does it take to turn the ship around for the next trip?’ He replied, ‘They'll start coming on board at 2 tomorrow afternoon!’ Everyone on our cruise had to be off the ship by 8 a.m., but most of us had left HOURS earlier, like at 3, 4, or 5 a.m., in order to 1) shift 850 passengers off and 2) get us all to our homeward bound flights on time. So the housekeeping staff could start work as soon as a stateroom was vacated.... but they had only 8 or 9 hours to clean the ENTIRE ship! I'd love to see a time-lapse film of that!

Thanks, Richard and Margie, for the ‘fan mail’ ! Sorry you won’t be on the next WC. Re: Will the ship be ship shape for you?: The afternoon before we disembarked in London, I asked a steward ‘How long does it take to turn the ship around for the next trip?’ He replied, ‘They'll start coming on board at 2 tomorrow afternoon!’ Everyone on our cruise had to be off the ship by 8 a.m., but most of us had left HOURS earlier, like at 3, 4, or 5 a.m., in order to 1) shift 850 passengers off and 2) get us all to our homeward bound flights on time. So the housekeeping staff could start work as soon as a stateroom was vacated.... but they had only 8 or 9 hours to clean the ENTIRE ship! I'd love to see a time-lapse film of that!

Susan, (Diva Feather)\,

I was being facetious about the Sun's condition after her second world cruise. We have sailed 4 times on the either the Sea or the Star and know how hard the crew and staff work to maintain the ships in tip top condition not to mention the crunch they have when its turn around day.

We are embarking on the Star in the middle of October for a 15 day Around the Caribbean Sea (NYC to Miami) cruise. It will be almost 3 years to the day since we last sailed on her. The fall of 2015 was her inaugural season and we greatly enjoyed our first Viking cruise (Istanbul to Barcelona - 22 days) on their first ship. It will be interesting how she has stood up to 3 years of constant cruising.

We would really enjoy cruising with you, but between the cost of a world cruise and trying to figure out how to be away from home for such a long period, it isn't in the cards in our future. We will be content with 1 to 2 cruises a year on a Viking ship. Someday, we hope that Viking might base a ship out of Boston's Black Falcon terminal for a fall season of New England and Canadian port cruises. After all, Viking Cruises is planning on having 16 ships by 2027 or 2028 and they have to go somewhere. Ports in Massachusetts, Maine, Nova Scotia, PEI, Quebec City and Montreal are some of our favorite places to cruise.

Oh yes, you forgot to answer my initial question about bringing your ukulele on your upcoming world cruise. :D:D:D:D

Richard and Margie (Senior Gators)

Susan, (Diva Feather)\,

I was being facetious about the Sun's condition after her second world cruise. We have sailed 4 times on the either the Sea or the Star and know how hard the crew and staff work to maintain the ships in tip top condition not to mention the crunch they have when its turn around day.

We are embarking on the Star in the middle of October for a 15 day Around the Caribbean Sea (NYC to Miami) cruise. It will be almost 3 years to the day since we last sailed on her. The fall of 2015 was her inaugural season and we greatly enjoyed our first Viking cruise (Istanbul to Barcelona - 22 days) on their first ship. It will be interesting how she has stood up to 3 years of constant cruising.

We would really enjoy cruising with you, but between the cost of a world cruise and trying to figure out how to be away from home for such a long period, it isn't in the cards in our future. We will be content with 1 to 2 cruises a year on a Viking ship. Someday, we hope that Viking might base a ship out of Boston's Black Falcon terminal for a fall season of New England and Canadian port cruises. After all, Viking Cruises is planning on having 16 ships by 2027 or 2028 and they have to go somewhere. Ports in Massachusetts, Maine, Nova Scotia, PEI, Quebec City and Montreal are some of our favorite places to cruise.

Oh yes, you forgot to answer my initial question about bringing your ukulele on your upcoming world cruise. :D:D:D:D

Richard and Margie (Senior Gators)

About your desire to cruise NE Canada and New England: BOTH are part of Viking’s 2020 world cruise, and you can purchase just that ‘leg.’ Check it out!

The ukulele is still up in the air, so to speak. I only performed once — a singalong at the end of the cruise, for about 50 people in Torshavn, the ‘black box’ bar cum theatre cum dance hall — and it’s a bit of a pain to have that as my only ‘personal item’ on the plane. We’ll see...

Best,

Passepartout