Dress code at Rotation Dining

cruisin1982

You can wear pretty much anything in all of the rotational dining restaurants even on formal/dress up nights and you will be served. Yes you can even wear shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops on formal nights and trust me several people will! Swim suits and tank tops are the only things you aren't supposed to wear.

Only the up-charge restaurants have a dress code that is actually enforced.

There is no enforced dress code except at the adult only restaurants. The only thing they even pretend to enforce is that you must wear shoes and you can't wear wet swimsuits or something that looks like a swimsuit. Something that was sold on a swimsuit rack but looks like clothing, they won't reject! Tank tops are listed as not allowed, but this isn't enforced at all.

Yes, I'm being serious.

Shorts are fine. Anything that looks halfway decent is fine. DCL is FAR more casual than most lines.

I think the MDR dress is more about what *you* are comfortable with rather than what the rules do or do not enforce. People wear anything and everything, and Disney allows it. The people at the table next to you might be wearing a jacket and tie or a faded Captain America t-shirt with shorts. If you and others in the party are OK with that, then you'll have a great time in the MDR. It was a great idea to have "your" servers move with you from one restaurant to another.

Our first time on a ship, I had read about the MDR and wore shorts. I felt out of place the whole meal even though plenty (lots and lots) of people also had shorts. The MDR is a nice restaurant, and the servers are certainly dressed consistent with the decor. Since then, I always wear a pair of khakis. I'm not really dressed up, but that's just how I feel more comfortable.

From our experience in the rotational dining on several sailings if you wear khakis and a polo shirt with a collar or maybe a button down shirt (no tie or jacket) then you will be dressed as well as 75% and better than many. We like the casual atmosphere, feels more relaxing. There are some that will dress up more and on formal night there will be some suits and ties but no one gives any grief to those that go more casual.

as noted, the main dining rooms on disney ships are about comfort not how you dress..

my husband and son wore polo shirts and khaki pants every night (including formal) and were perfectly fine.

i wore capri pants and a nice top every night.

my daughter wore fancy jeans (yeah...you know...the ones that look like they've come from goodwill with a million holes that you pay extra to get) and a fancy tank top....also fit right in...

I hope people do dress up some. I didn’t pay a premium fare for a Disney Cruise and eat with people who dress like they came from Walmart. After reading all the reviews Disney does so many things right but are very relax on some.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll give you the flip side of that argument. With the hassles of packing and lugging/checking bags, plus the limited space in each cabin, the less stuff you have to haul, all the better. Fancier dress for dinner is just one more hassle that people just don't need to deal with.

I'll give you the flip side of that argument. With the hassles of packing and lugging/checking bags, plus the limited space in each cabin, the less stuff you have to haul, all the better. Fancier dress for dinner is just one more hassle that people just don't need to deal with.

Been on 2 cruises with no problems packing some nice clothes. I just don’t want to eat with slobs. I’m sorry I’m here to enjoy my cruise

There's a difference between "fancy" and "decent" clothing. You don't need fancy clothes on DCL. Unfortunately, DCL attracts far more people who don't choose to dress reasonably than most other lines. We were on another cruise line last week and didn't see any clothing in the dining room that I considered crude or objectionable. I don't have a problem with jeans and a t-shirt at dinner. We choose to wear something more along the lines of dockers/skirts and a suitable top, but that's our choice. But I don't like to see "scuzzy" clothing at dinner, particularly when it is accompanied by scuzzy behavior. Maybe people spent so much on their DCL cruise that they couldn't afford decent clothing to bring along.

On one cruise, not so long ago, the other table being handled by our server had 16 people. Most of the men were wearing what I consider to be an undershirt--no sleeves, rib knit and shorts that would have benefitted by a run thru the laundry. Some of the women had very skimpy tops. But less important than their clothing was their actions. They were doing things like changing seats after they had ordered their meal, sending food back repeatedly, etc. Again, if you get something you don't like, send it back. But three times in one meal??? They were also very loud and ordered what I considered to be a lot of alcohol. The only reason we didn't ask to be moved is that we wanted to keep our server.

Edited by moki'smommy

well a lot of folks take Disney in Port Canaveral after finishing Walt Disney World. I think they pack for comfort.

DCL is for families and while their prices are high, many folks might be in the business world and have to dress in suits.

Not having to dress up is why DCL and NCL are popular. Hey wealthy and successful people want to be comfortable too.

Glad to know expensive cruises can still mean comfort. Having said that I still like CLEAN and neat casual. And of course all those Disney shirts one bought at the parks.

There's a difference between "fancy" and "decent" clothing. You don't need fancy clothes on DCL. Unfortunately' date=' DCL attracts far more people who don't choose to dress reasonably than most other lines. We were on another cruise line last week and didn't see any clothing in the dining room that I considered crude or objectionable. I don't have a problem with jeans and a t-shirt at dinner. We choose to wear something more along the lines of dockers/skirts and a suitable top, but that's our choice. But I don't like to see "scuzzy" clothing at dinner, particularly when it is accompanied by scuzzy behavior. Maybe people spent so much on their DCL cruise that they couldn't afford decent clothing to bring along.

On one cruise, not so long ago, the other table being handled by our server had 16 people. Most of the men were wearing what I consider to be an undershirt--no sleeves, rib knit and shorts that would have benefitted by a run thru the laundry. Some of the women had very skimpy tops. But less important than their clothing was their actions. They were doing things like changing seats after they had ordered their meal, sending food back repeatedly, etc. Again, if you get something you don't like, send it back. But three times in one meal??? They were also very loud and ordered what I considered to be a lot of alcohol. The only reason we didn't ask to be moved is that we wanted to keep our server.[/quote']

I may not like what someone is wearing, but I don't have to look at it, so no big deal. Actually I have to see it less at dinner than in other situations. Their behavior is a totally different matter. I have seen impeccably dressed people act like total jerks. I don't see that one really correlates with the other.

Interestingly enough, I heard that Royal Caribbean just upgraded their dress code to be more stringent. While I don't let what others choose to wear in the MDRs bother me, I do pine for the days where people dressed up nicely for an evening out.

• 3 weeks later...
The Disney restaurants are so nice that I don't see why anyone would want to dress as if they were eating at McDonalds. Why wouldn't you want to be a little more festive? Disney Cruise Line is not Carnival Cruise Line.

I been on carnival and they even have a dress code. I agree for what you pay for a Disney Cruise they should have some kind of dress code no T-shirt or shorts for men. As I said before I don’t want to eat with table mates that came from Walmart

I been on carnival and they even have a dress code. I agree for what you pay for a Disney Cruise they should have some kind of dress code no T-shirt or shorts for men. As I said before I don’t want to eat with table mates that came from Walmart

They used to have a much more strict code as to those few items that were prohibited. However, over the last nearly 20 years, cruising in general has become much more casual and guests complained. DCL has a history of not being able to please everyone in several departments, and has accepted rather the lowest common denominator in each of them--essentially a "do whatever you want/wear whatever you want" with very few limitations. Bottom line, the lack of dress guidelines is in response to customer complaints.

You can always request a table for "just us," whatever number is in your party.

You don't really need to pack separate outfits for dinner though. We just pack our khakis and nicer tops and wear them all day. In warm weather, they're far more comfortable than jeans and tees anyway. (That's actually the main reason.)

Hello cruisin1982!

Is your spelling of Fantasy in your signature a typo or intentional? Either way, it is high humor, and I'll no longer think of Disney's newest ship in the same way.

it was a typo I'm surprise nobody also saw it. Thanks for pointing it out