Gluten Intolerant

lakejameslover

My husband and I are cruising on Star Legend in Alaska this summer. I am wondering how Windstar deals with guests onboard their ships who have dietary issues. I have let Corporate know to make a note that I am gluten free on our profile. I must admit I am feeling a bit sorry for myself as one of the best parts of cruising is the food!

My husband and I will be on our 8th Windstar cruise this July in Alaska. We are vegan, and they do a wonderful job of preparing delicious meals that meet our dietary restrictions. With gluten-intolerance, I suppose it depends on how sensitive to gluten you are since they obviously do not have a separate kitchen for gluten-free cooking and there might be some minor cross-contamination. We embark on the Legend on July 12th. Will you be onboard?

This winter I was on the Wind Surf with my brother who is celiac. There was never a problem with keeping free from gluten. In the Veranda buffet all dishes were labeled if they were gluten free, he always had ample selections. At night in Amphora we tended to sit in the same waiters section each evening. He would always rush right up with gluten free bread. He also always could tell him what was gluten free on the menu and what could be altered to make it gluten free. My brother who works in the food business also had several discussions with the executive chef throughout the cruise. He seemed very happy with the food available for him.

Several years ago we took a cruise on the Windsurf with a family group that included my step daughter who was on a strict diet to aid in battling her cancer. It included no gluten, soy or sugar, among other things, and very low carb. She was so worried about the availability of appropriate for herself that she brought along protein powders and supplements. She had no worries once on board and was overwhelmed by the care used by the kitchen staff and 'Daddy' who was in charge of the dining room. Each morning she would receive the dinner menu to review and let them know her choices for main dishes that night and they would let her know if they would have any problems with modifying it.

She lost her battle with cancer 2 years ago, but we always remember that cruise with such fondness. She was able to fully relax and feel well taken care of on board the ship.

How wonderful to hear of all these positive posts concerning a strict food diet and how Wind Star can handle the issue. I was afraid because their ships have relatively few passengers onboard they would not have the manpower or resources to be creative with severe food limitations.

We have not had to ask for any serious accommodations, but on one cruise my onion averse daughter was able to get all of her meals prepared without them.

Also, we have sailed with Daddy. He is a wonderful man. :)

Just off the Legend and we witnessed the menu at breakfast thing. The table next to us in Veranda was settled down for breakfast and the staff brought out copies of the dinner menu. They went over it with the staff and discussed choices. Very discrete.

Just off the Legend and we witnessed the menu at breakfast thing. The table next to us in Veranda was settled down for breakfast and the staff brought out copies of the dinner menu. They went over it with the staff and discussed choices. Very discrete.

I have been on two Windstar cruises, I am gluten intolerant and someone would bring the dinner menu at breakfast to decide what I would like for dinner, if there was something I would like they would ask if it could be made gluten free. I will say the gluten free bread is better on Uniworld. We are doing a Baltic cruise with Windstar this summer. Any questions pleas ask.

Second seating