Entertainment on transatlantic crossing

ClevelandKid

We are considering the Miami (or San Juan) to Barcelona transatlantic crossing, but have a question - there is a stretch of 6 days with no shore excursions. Does Viking have a better set of entertainment for a cruise like that? We have done one cruise, and while we loved the cruise, we were not blown away by the entertainment. Before we sign up for something like that, we would love to hear from people who have done it about how Viking fills that time.

Well-we just did a Transatlantic on Viking. San Juan to Barcelona with a total of 8 sea days.

It depends upon your expectations. We were pleased with the choices. Guitarist, pianist and classic trio at various venues and at various times. Port lectures and naturalist talks. There were movies during the day but we preferred to be outdoors as the weather was lovely. Some cooking demonstrations. I saw dance lessons on the Viking daily but did not partake. There were a couple movies under the stars.

I know there were plenty of folks who played bridge or did needlework, knitting.

From what I heard--there was a pretty lively group in Torshavn in the evenings.

There was the Beatles Tribute and Abba show.

I don't think you will find different entertainment on the transatlantic than you would on any other Viking Ocean cruise. Perhaps a few more daytime offerings on sea days.

There were things you could choose to do. But we chose transatlantic because we choose to amuse ourselves. S

We just took that transatlantic on Viking. We’ve done basically the same route on Celebrity. Frankly, we went to more evening entertainment than on Celebrity. The quality was excellent and the venue intimate—down to tables to hold your drinks as well. We enjoyed various venues with trio, etc. We weren’t interested in any of the speakers and after watching one on the tv (they are recorded and broadcast), our thought were confirmed. Wish there had been a passenger choir formed. But yes, Sea days are wonderful for reading, walking and for finding various nooks and striking up conversation. We met more people on this cruise than any before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We were on Sky’s March 2018 TA and were luckily enough to have the Virginia Gentlemen aboard. This acapela (Sp) group of 16 fine young men from the University of Virginia were great. They were on their Spring Break and in addition to their daily 20 minute set in the Living Room pre dinner, they also did a full show one night in the theatre. They were the highlight for us entertainment wise.

Having folks under the age of 25 aboard also added to the entire cruise and made us old folks have faith in the future generations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the same TA as PRH. It was my first TA.

A lively roll call for months ahead of this cruise set the tone of friendliness and great conversations among the passengers. HI PRH!!!!

Tthe sea days were full of various events and activities as others have listed.

I never did get to the bocce ball activity on the sport deck, or the wine tasting events. It always seemed to conflict with one of the history talks or roundtable discussions. I loved the resident historian program.

We had both a 7:30 and 9:30 pm shows in the theater . I went to three of them. Loved the tenor guy.

Six sea days in a row was a gift of relaxation from everyday land life, I now treasure this cruise even more.

I would do another TA in a blink of a eye.

I also loved the ports of call at the beginning and once we saw land in Europe.

We were on the Viking Sea transatlantic in March/April. I was concerned about how to fill the sea days, but it was probably the best cruise ever. There were so many things to do: trivia, talks, movies, music, reading, dance lessons. I met a group of fellow knitter/crocheters. The evening entertainment was very good, and Viking now does two shows a night so everyone who wants can fit the show into their schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Forums