What makes it worth and extra $4400.00?

debnjoe1438

I know this is subjective and probably discussed before. At any rate, I'm looking at a 10 cruise on the Epic in January. The price difference from a balcony to a suite/haven is $4400.00

What does a suite offer to make it worth so much more than a balcony?

Someday, I'm going to get a suite just because... I work hard, and I figure I deserve it. However when I look at the price, I just can't justify spending so much on a few days. $6998.00 before DSC, tips and parking at the port, is a lot for 10 days.

Thanks

I know this is subjective and probably discussed before. At any rate, I'm looking at a 10 cruise on the Epic in January. The price difference from a balcony to a suite/haven is $4400.00

Someday, I'm going to get a suite just because... I work hard, and I figure I deserve it. However when I look at the price, I just can't justify spending so much on a few days. $6998.00 before DSC, tips and parking at the port, is a lot for 10 days.

Thanks

Plenty of threads on this very topic, and everyone has different and specific things about The Haven that they find valuable.

That "someday" that you choose to enjoy The Haven will be your opportunity to decide if it's worth it.

The same question can be asked with interior vs balcony (different dollar amounts, obviously).

A cruise is 100% about want. There is no "need" for a cruise contrary to what many CC members believe.:D

If you want it bad enough and can afford it, the only way to know if it is worth it is to try it.

The Butler, who will bring you snacks that you probably won't eat. And who will unpack for you and pack for you.

A concierge who will make arrangements for all your ship sponsored excursions and set up dinner times for you and show times. Assuming you did not already do this yourself online 100 days before boarding.

A private area with a small pool.

Loungers with cushions.

Private sunning area.

A Haven restaurant and bar on board Epic.

A MUCH nicer in suite breakfast.

Stick with the balcony, pick a nice one, and get the spa pass. Epic is a great ship, we really enjoyed her, and the spa was fantastic with plenty of co-ed space.

For myself? I don't think it's worth it. I keep imagining how I could spend that $ on another vacation, see some other corner of the world, have even more travel experiences. So for another $7000 where could my hubby and I go? Could we spend a week in Hawaii when the winters are hell here in Canada? Could we drive to California down the coast and stay on the beach? Could we cruise to Alaska? For me, I don't mind taking cheaper accommodations (we usually book insides) when it means I can spend more time planning new trips!

Haven is definitely not worth it. I can afford anything I want, and I would never book the Haven again - just a total waste of money. Royal offers a better "haven" with the solarium and you don't need to pay a dime to upgrade for it, FYI.

I can think of a lot of better ways to spend your money than booking the Haven. For example, you can count how many ants are on a given piece of square meter in your backyard and save $6998.00+.

There is a reason that the haven/ suite rooms make up approximately 5% of all the staterooms on board which is why it’s so desirable.. and in itself feels exclusive.. you are treated like royalty while amongst the walls of the haven area... it’s pure escape for some people...i would rather sail once every 3 years in a haven instead of every year in a balcony... but that’s just me... we landed our 1 st 2 bedroom family garden suite on breakaway as a lucky upgrade after booking a mini suite... you could always go that route and take a chance instead of paying the havens retail prices

There is a reason that the haven/ suite rooms make up approximately 5% of all the staterooms on board which is why it’s so desirable.. and in itself feels exclusive.. you are treated like royalty while amongst the walls of the haven area... it’s pure escape for some people...i would rather sail once every 3 years in a haven instead of every year in a balcony... but that’s just me... we landed our 1 st 2 bedroom family garden suite on breakaway as a lucky upgrade after booking a mini suite... you could always go that route and take a chance instead of paying the havens retail prices

The only people who think you are "treated like royalty" in the Haven are those who can't really afford it. The "exclusive" factor is menial to those who can. But I'm glad they can offer a product that some crave so much that they are willing to save for 3 years to experience it.

I can't blame NCL for going this route, though. Facebook made billions by being "exclusive" for a long time. People crave feeling special.

Recently my husband has been so busy at work, we have travelled less. Therefore when we do travel, I prefer to stay in nice accommodations and make the most of it.

I do not consider myself royalty, but nor is it menial to me. I can afford it and I do appreciate it. I can also afford a Chanel purse, and I do appreciate it.

Not sure what that attitude is here. Jealousy? If so, get over it.

My girlfriend and I are of the “it’s not worth it” mindset. We cruised on breakaway last year. It was our first real vacation together and the previous year had been rough so I wanted this vacation to be perfect. We updgraded from an inside to balcony during the tax free promotion and then upgraded again to the mini suite via the bidding system. It was nice don’t get me wrong but we spent very little time in our room. For a 7 day we cruise we spent a grand total of 2 hours (and I’m rounding up here) on our balcony. Not worth the extra couple hundred bucks in our minds. We’re going this October but this time sticking with the inside. If we have to opportunity to bid on a better room I might throw the minimum bid at a balcony but we’ll see. I’m a bit more inclined to spend the money on a dining package or on the vibe beach club.

As far as the haven goes, I could MAYBE justify the expense if it were going to be a 12-14 day cruise. I also would consider it if you could get larger party (6-8 people) in the larger haven suites. Last I check the max was 4 people, but that information may be outdated.

Edited by OneGun16
spelling

Hmmmm....for two, the most I paid for the Haven (spa cabin with a jacuzzi in the cabin) was $5,400. Haven cabins come with 4of NCL’s most popular promotions...for two on a 7 day itinerary.....

-UBP $1,500

-UDP $150

-$50 credit per excursion $150

-$125 internet credit

-OBC between $100-$300, TA gives me another $225, AMEX

Platinum gives me another $300

That doesn’t include the excellent Haven restaurant, private bar, lounge. And, the concierge takes care of ALL billing issues, reservations with best seats in the house for entertainment, dining reservations. Butler takes care of serving you most anything in your room. No crowds....no hastle.

Doesn’t sound bad at all!

BTW....in an aft Penthouse Suite this weekend on the GEM. No Haven restaurant and mid size ship. But, I get everything else. Cost $3,300 plus all the goodies I mentioned, plus $1025 OBC from NCL, AMEX and my TA.

Helluva deal!

Hmmmm....for two, the most I paid for the Haven (spa cabin with a jacuzzi in the cabin) was $5,400. Haven cabins come with 4of NCL’s most popular promotions...for two on a 7 day itinerary.....

-UBP $1,500

-UDP $150

-$50 credit per excursion $150

-$125 internet credit

-OBC between $100-$300, TA gives me another $225, AMEX

Platinum gives me another $300

That doesn’t include the excellent Haven restaurant, private bar, lounge. And, the concierge takes care of ALL billing issues, reservations with best seats in the house for entertainment, dining reservations. Butler takes care of serving you most anything in your room. No crowds....no hastle.

Doesn’t sound bad at all!

That is one heck of a fluff piece. Lol.

Not sure what’s fluff about my experiences. I’ve done Haven/Suites 3X...... with my 4th oming up this weekend. Just sharing my experiences.

Here’s my last amenity list plus OBC.....

amenities_eng.gif

DESCRIPTIONPROMO CODEQUANTITY3 Meal Specialty Dining PackageDINPK31Adult Ultimate Beverage PackageBEVPK11Choice Shore Excursion CreditCHSULM1Dining, French Restaurant for 2 GuestsDINFRN1Free $100 On-Board Credit Certificate Non -RefundableDM1001Free $100 On-Board Credit Certificate Non -RefundableOB100.1Free $300 On-Board Credit Certificate Non -RefundableOB3001Free $300 On-Board Credit Certificate Non -RefundableOB300.1Internet Package (250 Minutes or 1000 MB) per stateroomCHI2501

If you have the cash, and have no other use for it (like putting it into an IRA,) go for it. You'll get pampered, you'll get treated royally, and you'll come out the other side with a very different cruise expectation than the rest of us.

That's, frankly, what keeps me away from the Haven. I don't want to be treated to a higher level of service that makes me regret shipping out with everyone else. I love NCL, I don't want to start regretting it, there are lots of places (like my IRA) that deserve my money, so much more.

I'm not a big traveler. Would much much rather stay home then stay somewhere not as nice as my home. Indeed I like to say I've never been on a vacation no matter how nice that I wasnt happier the second I walked in my door. My husband wanted to do an Alaska cruise. After a lot of research on these boards and with friends I decided the only way I would was in the Haven. We had friends who have done crystal and silversea. They liked Haven Experience best because the like the vibe and crowd and the entertainment better while having reduced hassles. . They said it was " best of both worlds". We have never cruised so my husband wanted to try a big ship, we will see how we feel. We can easily afford it so that's not an issue.

I'm not a big traveler. Would much much rather stay home then stay somewhere not as nice as my home. Indeed I like to say I've never been on a vacation no matter how nice that I wasnt happier the second I walked in my door. My husband wanted to do an Alaska cruise. After a lot of research on these boards and with friends I decided the only way I would was in the Haven. We had friends who have done crystal and silversea. They liked Haven Experience best because the like the vibe and crowd and the entertainment better while having reduced hassles. . They said it was " best of both worlds". We have never cruised so my husband wanted to try a big ship, we will see how we feel. We can easily afford it so that's not an issue.

Good to hear cause I long wanted to upgrade from Princess to either silversea or crystal, but felt hindered now that we had a child. I hope we will have the best of both worlds experience.

Typically, when we go to a hotel, I’m willing to oay $500-$1000 a night for the room. Since this includes food, it’s on par.

Also, we stayed in an ncle suite once before with a window over the bathtub. Just like the one we will have on the bliss. Heaven. Or....wait for it....bliss. Lol.

I work hard and in my job I cater to other people's needs. In the Haven others cater to my needs. I find value in that. I budget for that.

I am older, I have paid my dues, bought and paid off my house. Pay my bills. Buy a new car about every 10-12 years. Divorced, no kids of my own but dote on my sister's kids.

I am frugal in some ways that allow me to justify my decision to splurge on one or two vacations a year.

And lastly, I am blessed with a wonderful employer for 27 years who rewards me with a generous Christmas bonus which I allocate to travel.

That is my story. We all have our own. Ultimately, for me, it is all about value relative to cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only people who think you are "treated like royalty" in the Haven are those who can't really afford it. The "exclusive" factor is menial to those who can. But I'm glad they can offer a product that some crave so much that they are willing to save for 3 years to experience it.

I can't blame NCL for going this route, though. Facebook made billions by being "exclusive" for a long time. People crave feeling special.

So what? If someone wants to budget for a Haven cruise every 3 years or 3 weeks whose business is it to question or insult them?

It reads like you are intentionally mocking a specific poster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

I work hard and in my job I cater to other people's needs. In the Haven others cater to my needs. I find value in that. I budget for that.

I am older, I have paid my dues, bought and paid off my house. Pay my bills. Buy a new car about every 10-12 years. Divorced, no kids of my own but dote on my sister's kids.

I am frugal in some ways that allow me to justify my decision to splurge on one or two vacations a year.

And lastly, I am blessed with a wonderful employer for 27 years who rewards me with a generous Christmas bonus which I allocate to travel.

That is my story. We all have our own. Ultimately, for me, it is all about value relative to cost.

Very well said.

I still don't think it is worth it vs a true luxury line for less money. But very well said.

There is no "garden suite" on any NCL ships.