Pigeon Island Question

melindda

Hi, we have been on numerous Windstar cruises and tend to stay away from cruises that visit Pigeon Island as comparted to Prickly Pear. However this time due to other factors this itineary fits best. Here are a couple of issues and wondering if any changes have been made: no shade unless you get there first and get a spot by the trees, then when others arrive you are jammed in sooo tight it is not comfortable. Second is the lack of eating area for your lunch, juggling everything on your beach chair (that's where the jammed in situation gets to me) ;p

So wondering if there have been any upgrades?

I'm not sure how long you have visited, but we have done Pigeon island twice and liked it both times (most recently, Feb last year). There were tables for lunch and you have a choice of walking to see the view or staying by the beach - or using the Windstar marina, since they usually try to deploy it there. We will be going back!

Hi, we have been on numerous Windstar cruises and tend to stay away from cruises that visit Pigeon Island as comparted to Prickly Pear. However this time due to other factors this itineary fits best. Here are a couple of issues and wondering if any changes have been made: no shade unless you get there first and get a spot by the trees, then when others arrive you are jammed in sooo tight it is not comfortable. Second is the lack of eating area for your lunch, juggling everything on your beach chair (that's where the jammed in situation gets to me) ;p

So wondering if there have been any upgrades?

We did Pigeon Island this year due to Caribbean change of itineraries. Loved it and thought far superior to Prickly Pear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We were there in February this year. Windstar had plenty of shaded loungers available, although they were pretty closely spaced. There were ample lunch tables under a tent.

We have never been to Prickly Pear, so I can’t compare, but we enjoyed the Pigeon Island event. This in spite of the fact that it was overcast, and our port stay was radically shortened due to weather. I would do it again if the rest of the itinerary was right.

Personally, I did not think that Pigeon was a particularly nice beach. There are so many other beautiful beaches in the Caribbean to have a beach day on. When we were on the WS a few years ago we had a beach day in Mayreau, which was lovely. We thought Pigeon was poor in comparison to our stops in Mayreau (or Grenada, Tobago Cays etc). St Lucia, is not really known for its beaches.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay, we decided and will be moving forward with the cruise that visits Pigeon Island - remembering that on our last cruise on the day scheduled for Prickly Pear it was cancelled due to bad seas. I agree Pigeon Island is not a great beach - just looking for a nice shaded spot - good food and tables to eat at, which is what I think Prickly Pear covers. To be honest - give us some good weather - put us on the deck where we can find some shade and we are happy!

Okay, we decided and will be moving forward with the cruise that visits Pigeon Island - remembering that on our last cruise on the day scheduled for Prickly Pear it was cancelled due to bad seas. I agree Pigeon Island is not a great beach - just looking for a nice shaded spot - good food and tables to eat at, which is what I think Prickly Pear covers. To be honest - give us some good weather - put us on the deck where we can find some shade and we are happy!

You may be pleasantly surprised when you visit Pigeon Island. It's a beautiful park with lots to do and explore. The beach is fine and the park itself is lovely. Lonely Planet has some pretty good descriptions of what to do and see. Not overcrowded and no guide needed to have a great day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We have been to all 3 beaches where they hold the beach BBQ. Prickley Pear and Mayreau are the nicest although Prickley Pear probably got beaten up pretty bad by Irma. The problem with Pigeon Island is that the beach is small and the loungers (which have small tents for shade) are close together. As for the BBQ, they have a tent set up not far from beach and there is plenty of room for everyone to sit. Also there is another beach right next to the Windstar one which is used by for snuba dives which can also be crowded if there are other ships docked in Castries which is not far from Pigeon Island. Not a bad beach but there are nicer ones in the area I am sure.