Embarkation on Star Breeze

Wineart

This will be our first cruise on Windstar. We're leaving out of Lisbon, and embarkation time is showing as 1pm with a departure at 5pm. What time should we arrive? On other cruiselines, we normally arrive early to get oriented to the ship, have lunch, etc., but don't know what the norms are for Windstar. Since the ship is so small, I'm guessing embarkation will be very quick!

This will be our first cruise on Windstar. We're leaving out of Lisbon, and embarkation time is showing as 1pm with a departure at 5pm. What time should we arrive? On other cruiselines, we normally arrive early to get oriented to the ship, have lunch, etc., but don't know what the norms are for Windstar. Since the ship is so small, I'm guessing embarkation will be very quick!
Embarkation starts at 1, usually takes 30-60 minutes to get checked in, lunch available until 3ish, depart at 5pm, lifeboat drill at 5:30, welcome aboard meeting at 6pm, dinner at 7pm. Have a good trip

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

When we embarked in Lisbon, we arrived a bit after boarding started at 1 PM. Check-in was simple and pleasant. On the way into the port, baggage handlers collected our suitcases putting on bag tags with our suite number.

We walked through the terminal to the ship. I bought a bottle of port to take on board at the liquor store in the terminal and we proceeded on to the ship. We were directed to the lounge for check-in where we were given flutes of something sparkling to drink. Then we could go up when we were ready to one of the check-in people to have our picture taken and get our shipboard card. There was also a table we could ask questions about the drink package and sign up for it if we wanted (we are light drinkers so we didn't) and another where we made our reservation for Candles. We only wanted a light lunch so we headed up to the Yacht Club and had the small sandwiches there.

There were no lines and it was all very comfortable.

Sailing out of Rome on the Star Pride in 2016, we arrived at about 1:15pm and were done with check-in (passport, credit card, wifi add-on and a Candles reservation) in a little over 45 minutes. We almost always arrive as early as possible because enough time gives us a chance to relax and meet a lot of new friends.

We made a brief visit to our cabin making sure everything was in order. (Near flawless, by the way.) We spent the next 2 hours between the Veranda and the Yacht Club. I honestly feel having that time is the best way to meet new people who may become our best friends for 7 days or a lifetime. All the early arrivals seem to be of the same mindset. If one turns that into a last minute rush, I feel we would miss out on this wonderful opportunity. People are generally in "meet my fellow travelers" mode, which makes starting just about any conversation really OK.

I kid you not: Before "Sail-Away" we had met (having never known them before) a couple who live only 10 miles away from us; a couple who live 200 miles away from us with one of them being a math teach (just like my wife); the brightest most, charming 8-year old I have ever met; and a couple we will endeavor to keep as friends for life.

On Windstar, you can just about meet everyone before your first nightcap on the first night at sea. It is time well spent and we will keep returning to Windstar often. I love the small ships, and I love the people, crew and fellow travelers. Windstar has started using a phrase in their marketing that I do feel reflects the true sense of why it is the first choice for many of us: "For travelers, not tourists!"

We are not retired yet and I am sorry to say that Windstar is not always in our annual budget (more like every 3 years right now). But just today, my wife (while sending me for this week's lottery ticket), mentioned trying to figure out how to live her new dream of living with a whole year of B2Bs on Windstar. She wasn't kidding.

Del Rio-That was very heartwarming to read! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like there is a sense of community especially given the smaller passenger count and like minded travelers. On a larger ship, there are many times where you literally never see someone again for the rest of the cruise.

Wineart,

Given several people do show up for check in at 1PM when boarding begins, the wait may be a little longer at that time. We have checked in at various times and should you come in after 2PM, check in will likely only take 15 minutes vs 30 to 45 minutes at 1PM. I believe they now keep the Veranda open for a longer time (until 4PM) to accommodate late boarders. And like posters above, we also have met wonderful people onboard including one time, people that lived in the same building as we did. Talk about a small world. You will love Windstar and once you have tasted it, you will understand why the cruise line has such a loyal following.

Enjoy