LGA to New York Princess Cruise Terminal

MTNestr

I’m trying to plan the least stressful New York Princess Cruise. Leaving Oct 20, 2018 for a New England cruise.

What is the easiest way to get from LGA to the Princess Cruise Terminal? I would like to arrive at the terminal around 10:30 AM. Oct 20 is a Saturday. How long will the trip to the terminal take?

Plans are to fly into LGA on the night before and spend the night at a LGA hotel.

Just to avoid confusion, there are two NY ship terminals in Manhattan and Brooklyn (Plus a terminal for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity in NJ). In prior years, I believe Princess would often dock in Manhattan, leaving Brooklyn for their largest ships.

Looking at the NY port schedule for 2018, it appears that the only two Princess ships (Regal and Royal) are both using Red Hook this year. (https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/) However, to avoid confusion, it's best to refer to the terminal as "Red Hook" or "Brooklyn" to avoid confusion with the Manhattan terminal.

...and I wholeheartedly agree with George C's advice, for what it's worth.

- Mark

Your visit will be short, so you'll want to budget your time besides your $$. You might want to check out some of the hotels in the Long Island City area near Queens Plaza (I'm assuming it's fine at night - any NY'ers able to comment?)

It's between LGA and the port and there are convenient, fast subway connections into Midtown.

As for safety, NY and Manhattan, in particular, is one of the lowest crime areas in the country. Very safe. (Watch your wallet in crowds, though)

- Mark

You might want to check out some of the hotels in the Long Island City area near Queens Plaza (I'm assuming it's fine at night - any NY'ers able to comment?)

LIC, Long Island City, is pretty safe and hotels are growing like weeds here. DW and I both work here in LIC and live in Brooklyn. There are some areas and times to be aware of like any big city. Like when Corrections drops off released inmates from Riker's Island (Main Jail) with their Metrocard (early morning) or where to board the bus to Riker Island for those that are visiting current guests, I jest.

On other hand JetBlue and Met Life both have large offices here right next to the subway, elevated and underground. Great views from Gantry Park and two NYC Ferry stops that have service to 34th St and Wall St, one that will stop at Brooklyn Bridge before ending at Wall Street.

Thanks everyone for the Great Ideas!

I spent some time in NY a few years ago and did some sightseeing. My objective this time is the best way to make connections between LGA and the Cruise Ship Terminal. It seems to me that it would be cheapest to stay near LGA and do one transfer to the port early the next day. Or is there a better place to stay close to the port?

How long will it take to get from LGA to the Port on a Saturday morning?

Warning, LGA is under construction. They are trying to upgrade the airport from a third world look to a first world. Traffic around there can be horrendous. How bad can it get? There are times when crew members and passengers jump out of cabs and cars to walk on the Grand Central Parkway in traffic to get to their gate.

Downtown Brooklyn, a lot of Brooklyn is being gentrified and built up. There are hotels closer to the Red Hook ports so do some research.

How built up is Brooklyn becoming? People who moved from Manhattan to escape high rents are moving back because Brooklyn's rents are higher.

Ramona

Would it be better to fly into JFK?

Do you want to stay in Manhattan or Brooklyn? Where you want to stay determines which airport. Since I live in Brooklyn, my preference is JFK as by car (but I don't drive) it's no more than 25 minutes, by public transportation (B15 Bus) it's 50 minutes.

I use to fly out of LGA (takes me longer to get there) because I flew to Atlanta a lot and Delta has planes to ATL on the hour every hour but ...since construction started, I go kicking and screaming:D.

Here is the link to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (There is also a TAB for Manhattan): https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/

Ramona

Which Airport is better and easiest to navigate?

Doing some creative googling here are directions to a hotel, any hotel, near Brooklyn Cruise Port from LGA : https://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/new-york/laguardia-airport-lga-1459751/to/us/ny/brooklyn/11231-1820/17-seabring-st-40.680154,-74.005797

The same for JFK: https://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/new-york/john-f-kennedy-international-airport-jfk-371814002/to/us/ny/brooklyn/11231-1820/17-seabring-st-40.680154,-74.005797

Both sites show multiple routes. The hotel address I used was just one closest to the Terminal. However, the hotels in Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn Promenade or no more than two miles away

Ramona.

Did you consider flying into Newark? Yes it's in NJ, but IMO you should at least price it out.

1). Newark has the largest pool of acceptable hotels of the 3 New York airports. We never recommend staying at a JFK hotel. Embassy Suites, which is one of the most popular hotels for cruisers from Cape Liberty, is showing a AAA or Hilton Honors rate of $160 plus tax. This hotel is next to the Jersey Gardens Mall with restaurant options like Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, IHOP, Johnny Rockets, Chilis, and the Mall food court,

2). Get a quote from Dial7 and Carmellimo for car service transportation to Red Hook. On top of their base quote figure tolls of $15-17 plus an 18-20% tip on the base rate. Your route to Brooklyn will likely take you across Staten Island and the Verrazano Bridge to approach Red .Hook from the South.

I'm suggesting NJ because you say you're trying to plan a less stressful experience. Many cruisers have flown into EWR, gotten themselves to Embassy Suites, and enjoyed their pre cruise stay.

Did you consider flying into Newark? Yes it's in NJ, but IMO you should at least price it out.

1). Newark has the largest pool of acceptable hotels of the 3 New York airports. We never recommend staying at a JFK hotel. Embassy Suites, which is one of the most popular hotels for cruisers from Cape Liberty, is showing a AAA or Hilton Honors rate of $160 plus tax. This hotel is next to the Jersey Gardens Mall with restaurant options like Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, IHOP, Johnny Rockets, Chilis, and the Mall food court,

2). Get a quote from Dial7 and Carmellimo for car service transportation to Red Hook. On top of their base quote figure tolls of $15-17 plus an 18-20% tip on the base rate. Your route to Brooklyn will likely take you across Staten Island and the Verrazano Bridge to approach Red .Hook from the South.

I'm suggesting NJ because you say you're trying to plan a less stressful experience. Many cruisers have flown into EWR, gotten themselves to Embassy Suites, and enjoyed their pre cruise stay.

But they are embarking out of Brooklyn, NY. How would Newark make it easier? The greater the distance between Hotel stay and Port, the greater the chance to be delayed by Street closures, traffic delays, parades, etc.

Ramona

But they are embarking out of Brooklyn, NY. How would Newark make it easier? The greater the distance between Hotel stay and Port, the greater the chance to be delayed by Street closures, traffic delays, parades, etc.

Ramona

My thinking is that EWR offers less hassle to get to a nice, probably less expensive, airport hotel that is very popular with cruisers. The route to Brooklyn is all Turnpike and Interstate driving with local street options in Brooklyn if traffic delays. No chaos of LaGuardia or having to deal with the infamous section of the BQE. If the total price is competitive, I think it's worth considering. IMO total distance doesn't always matter in the NY metro area if you can avoid the routes that consistently headline the traffic reports.

My thinking is that EWR offers less hassle to get to a nice, probably less expensive, airport hotel that is very popular with cruisers. The route to Brooklyn is all Turnpike and Interstate driving with local street options in Brooklyn if traffic delays. No chaos of LaGuardia or having to deal with the infamous section of the BQE. If the total price is competitive, I think it's worth considering. IMO total distance doesn't always matter in the NY metro area if you can avoid the routes that consistently headline the traffic reports.

I'm new to this form and really not familiar with all it's bells and whistles. If the op can message me about a week before her travels, Oct 11-13th, I can look to see if there are any plans for street closures, Street Fairs, Parades, etc. . The plan is to come to NYC on the 19th, a Friday. Now she may luck up as many people might be heading away from instead of coming into NYC, I don't know. I also get NYC Alerts to inform me of any water main breaks, rapid and commuter break downs, fallen trees and missing folk (that was an add-in) Plus I tell anyone and everyone, unless there are no flights in or out of LGA, don't go there.

My neighborhood, Canarsie, Brooklyn, is currently going through a massive street/underground overall from the effects of Sandy ..Sewer, Water and Gas line are being laid all over the place, OMG! So a residential neighborhood is effectively jammed with traffic and backups. My neighborhood is not the only one experiencing this right now. That is why I'm cognizant of traffic flows so my suggestion was to stay as close to Downtown Brooklyn as possible because that area is only 2miles from the pier.

We are all trying to look out for each other.

Ramona

If I did decide to spend the night in Manhattan do all of the taxi drivers know the way to Red Hook Cruise Terminal? Will they know it as the Brooklyn or the Red Hook Cruise Terminal?

If I did decide to spend the night in Manhattan do all of the taxi drivers know the way to Red Hook Cruise Terminal? Will they know it as the Brooklyn or the Red Hook Cruise Terminal?

NYC Yellow metered cabs have, or should have, GPS systems. Download Waze App so you can follow along, just don't aggravate them by being a back seat driver, :D

Ramona

You can arrange a reliable car service that has much experience going to the piers. Dial7 is one that is used frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto on the car service to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. You want a driver that has actually been there before. We make the same recommendation for folks going from Manhattan to Cape Liberty in NJ. The car service will quote a base price. There could be an $8.50 toll if you go through the Hugh Carey Tunnel. Add 18-20% tip to the base price. Much greater peace of mind than sitting in a yellow cab with the meter running.

Ditto on the car service to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. You want a driver that has actually been there before. We make the same recommendation for folks going from Manhattan to Cape Liberty in NJ. The car service will quote a base price. There could be an $8.50 toll if you go through the Hugh Carey Tunnel. Add 18-20% tip to the base price. Much greater peace of mind than sitting in a yellow cab with the meter running.

Base Fare begins @ $48 per hr., that's from 1min to 60 min., I don't think they prorate.

Base Fare begins @ $48 per hr., that's from 1min to 60 min., I don't think they prorate.

Not so. Car service point-to-point fares are based on their estimate of the actual trip. You don't get charged a flat rate that covers up to an hour...that's only done for hourly flat rate rentals .