Viking Homelands/Berlin Arrival & Departure Times

Jaddy

We are trying to arrange a private tour while we are in Berlin. We will be taking the train that Viking arranges from the Viking Sea (in August of this year) to get back and forth. Please tell me the approximate times the train arrives in, and departs from, Berlin. It would also be helpful to know the name of the station.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

We are trying to arrange a private tour while we are in Berlin. We will be taking the train that Viking arranges from the Viking Sea (in August of this year) to get back and forth. Please tell me the approximate times the train arrives in, and departs from, Berlin. It would also be helpful to know the name of the station.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

We will be on the Homelands Cruise this month. One of our roll call members emailed Viking and was given the following information about Berlin:

The train to Berlin leaves approx. 6:45am and arrives in Berlin at approx. 10:00am. There will be a 1.5 hour panoramic drive through Berlin, after which, you’ll be dropped off at Gendarmenmarkt around 11:30am for approx. 4 hours of free time. Pick-up is 3:30pm at the same location. The return trip to the ship will be approx. 2.5 hours. The arrival train station in Berlin is Ostbahnhof. The departure station is Berlin Gesundbrunnen.

I hope this helps with your planning. Enjoy your cruise!

I am on Homelands cruise this month too, and the Viking rep told me that after the train trip you get a map and no orientation tour..

Who knows what is true...

Just got back. Yes there was a bus tour with 1/2 quick photo ops. To use the limited time you have, do some Berlin research. The VK map is not the best. Only pinpoint sights.

The drop off at the Gendarmenmarkt is a central location. For the VK homelands, best source of info is Rick Steves "Northern European Ports" book.

Worth every penny if you want maximum tour enjoyment.

• 2 months later...

After numerous calls and emails with Viking regarding this exact topic, this is what a kind rep emailed back to me. Most reps didn't really know for sure, but this one set the bar a little higher and really followed up with an in depth reply.

Our sailing is Aug 11th (just a few days away) and we booked a private Berlin tour with Tours By Locals. I am going to verify this information once on board and therefore update our guide of any changes, but here is the reply I rec'd:

"Good morning Mrs. .......

I have some additional information regarding the Berlin Your Way excursion. I was mistaken, this tour does include an orientation tour around Berlin before the on your own portion. This normally lasts for about an hour to an hour and a half. You can speak with the tour leader to be able to skip this portion and have the full time in Berlin on your own. The train will drop off at the Berlin Hauptbahnhof (Europlatz) station, and the orientation tour will drop off at the Gendarmenmarkt. I believe you would meet with the group back at this location before being taken to back to the train station at the end of the day. We do not have exact times, but you will arrive in Berlin at approximately 11:30 AM and will depart from Berlin at approximately 5:00 PM. Total travel time is approximately 3.25-3.5 hours each way.

I hope this helps you with planning your day in Berlin. Please let me know if you have any other questions."