Georgiafan's Harmony of the Seas Review - April 28th to May 4th

I know radio did a great live review this week so i'll try and not cover the same stuff he did. A quick background on me i'm 35 and this was my 23rd cruise and split close to 50 / 50 on Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I stayed with my cousin who is 41 and been on about 10 cruises and both of us are single with no kids. This cruise was differnet then any I have took before as this was the first one my brother (bravesfan19) was not able to cruise with me. I typically cruise with 6 people so with it just being 2 of us was a different feel. When I cruise eating is the highlight for me and the goal is to avoid the buffet. My last RCL cruise was Independence in 2014 and went on the allure in 2011 which I loved. I cruise for the ship more then the ports as I can't really be gone from work longer then 1 week and I've been to everywhere in the Caribbean's. The way I see it every cruise is great and nothing compares to it.

What to expect

Lots of pics of food

Lots of pics of drinks & menus

Comparing it to the Carnival Vista which in the end wins by a pretty good margin

Review of xplor park in Cozumel

More pics then a review with a lot of words

What not to expect

Perfect Grammar

Super high quality pics as I use a $140 cannon camera or a iPhone

I have several hours worth of video but most of it isn't generic enough to share

A quick glance at positives and negatives

*** Major Game Changing Negatives ***

Lack of options for starters & desserts in the MDR

Lack of quality free options at lunch

Negatives

Desserts (buffet, ice cream etc.)

No sea day brunch

Not to much going on for sea days

No major pool area

Cruise Director / Fun Staff

Major Positives

The main shows

refreshment package (non alcohol)

Kieron Cox (singer in the pub)

Positives

The ship

Perfect Itinerary that was spaced out

Chops Grill

Price of the cruise was really cheap

No problems with the Entrees in MDR

Lobster Night

I could always get 1 chair beside a pool

Room Stewards

No line for guest services

Wow bands

I know radio did a great live review this week so i'll try and not cover the same stuff he did. A quick background on me i'm 35 and this was my 23rd cruise and split close to 50 / 50 on Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I stayed with my cousin who is 41 and been on about 10 cruises and both of us are single with no kids. This cruise was differnet then any I have took before as this was the first one my brother (bravesfan19) was not able to cruise with me. I typically cruise with 6 people so with it just being 2 of us was a different feel. When I cruise eating is the highlight for me and the goal is to avoid the buffet. My last RCL cruise was Independence in 2014 and went on the allure in 2011 which I loved. I cruise for the ship more then the ports as I can't really be gone from work longer then 1 week and I've been to everywhere in the Caribbean's. The way I see it every cruise is great and nothing compares to it.

What to expect

Lots of pics of food

Lots of pics of drinks & menus

Comparing it to the Carnival Vista which in the end wins by a pretty good margin

Review of xplor park in Cozumel

More pics then a review with a lot of words

What not to expect

Perfect Grammar

Super high quality pics as I use a $140 cannon camera or a iPhone

I have several hours worth of video but most of it isn't generic enough to share

A quick glance at positives and negatives

*** Major Game Changing Negatives ***

Lack of options for starters & desserts in the MDR

Lack of quality free options at lunch

Negatives

Desserts (buffet, ice cream etc.)

No sea day brunch

Not to much going on for sea days

No major pool area

Cruise Director / Fun Staff

Major Positives

The main shows

refreshment package (non alcohol)

Kieron Cox (singer in the pub)

Positives

The ship

Perfect Itinerary that was spaced out

Chops Grill

Price of the cruise was really cheap

No problems with the Entrees in MDR

Lobster Night

I could always get 1 chair beside a pool

Room Stewards

No line for guest services

Wow bands

Did you try the Main Dining for lunch? They have both a buffet with a salad bar and dessert bar as well as ala carte options.

I thought lunch there was great. Kieron Cox was great.

edit - trying to figure out how to post pics so someone help me I have them uploaded to a 3rd party site

whatever site you are using should have something like embedded BB or bulletin board Codes (a long string of characters that like url= https://blahblah blah.that )you can copy directly over and past it in your post here

Did you try the Main Dining for lunch? They have both a buffet with a salad bar and dessert bar as well as ala carte options.

I thought lunch there was great. Kieron Cox was great.

For some reason I forgot to eat in the main dining room for lunch I really should have tried that on one of the last 2 sea days. I guess I was focused on trying all the other places around the ship for lunch.

Yea Kieron was great and probably saved the cruise for me as I stay up late. I have 2 videos of Kieron from the last night I recorded I just have to see if i'm allowed to post the alice song since it has bad words in it.

Edited by georgiafan

whatever site you are using should have something like embedded BB or bulletin board Codes (a long string of characters that like url= https://blahblah blah.that )you can copy directly over and past it in your post here

I am using imgurl and have tried every option and still cant get the pics to post. The options it has are image link, direct link, markdown link, HTML, BB code, linked BB code. I also tried google image and couldn't get it to work so I guess i'll try and find a new site next. thanks for the help I must be doing something wrong on my end.

Amazing Cruise Price

I was desperate to go on a cruise as I didn't want to wait 18 months till the 6 of us could go all together it just didn't look like it was going to happen. My cousin got a $700 bonus at work and said to find us a cruise for about that price. I ended up getting the best deal ive ever got a cruise It was $620 (including taxes, per person) for a interior virtual balcony room on deck 8. I didn't care anything about the virtual balcony room it was the cheapest one and got me to a deck within walking distance to most places. The price before the taxes I believe was $510. I got this a day after the wow sale ended about 6 weeks before April 28th.

Hyatt Place in Dania Beach 5*

I typically don't put a lot of priority on where I am staying the night before since I never get to the hotel till about midnight. Just give me a place that's clean with free shuttle so I can try and get a few hours sleep. When I was looking at hotels I didn't want to spend $300 on a hotel since I had got the cruise so cheap. I ended up staying at Hyatt Place in Dania Beach for $139.01 (total for 2 people) and it was fantastic. The Free shuttle from the airport to the hotel was quick, rooms was huge, clean, 1 big bed and a bed that made a couch, nice showers, and the free breakfast was better then expected. It was also within walking distance to a convenient store which allowed me to get some energy drinks to take on board. Their also is a McDonalds that you could walk to as well as a big lots. Their was another Hyatt hotel with a different name right across the street and it was a little close to the road then we stayed at.

I took a uber to the cruise terminal and it cost me $14 for 2 people. I am not a uber expert so I may have had the ride sharing option turned off. Since the driver showed up in 45 seconds I was fine with it. I don't remember the exact distance to the terminal about 10 minute drive or so.

Hyatt Place FLL Airport & Cruise Port

91 SW 18th Ave.

Dania Beach - FL

41958217931_fa5c9bbfe2_k.jpg

41958218911_959899e70e_k.jpg

40151222530_2426b6051f_k.jpg

40151221130_2b8189c942_k.jpg

Hank is all excited for the cruise

28087786238_a88bf059f1_k.jpg

When he finds out he isn't getting to go will be mostly alone for 8 days

41958669841_cb7c23604c_b.jpg

The Samsonite space saving travel bags was a pain and I eventually got them to work, but I wouldn't recommend them. I had two bags break and it took some time to figure out how to do them.

41958669681_3d7455b336_k.jpg

The travel organizing bags much easier and worked great

41958670551_9cc1223027_k.jpg

electronic organizing bag for $5 at TJ Maxx worked great for my carry on

27093774697_6d56f1af4b_k.jpg

magnetic hooks also worked out good

41060942855_c95a02d1ea_k.jpg

The earliest I had ever got on a ship I walked on at 10:34 and was waiting for them to open the door.

40153315570_19a22f21a5_z.jpg

Room # 8426 which was a typical sized inside room with a good amount of storage space. I wouldn't pay extra for the virtual balcony having the 2 closets was a nice touch.

41959933611_03654dcb58_k.jpg

41959931781_3d4c97638a_k.jpg

41959930741_e5742d007c_k.jpg

41959930161_115952046e_k.jpg

41959929461_05877456b0_k.jpg

Edited by georgiafan

Café Promenade

Was out of stock for the first day or two on some coffee drinks

28085275238_08e60f6958_b.jpg

41237543424_5841a2b1fb_k.jpg

double shot espresso

28085273568_fe5be8cc95_z.jpg

latte creamice with a coffee cheesecake and while the cheesecake was very good. A complaint I have is they have the same basic cheesecake just with different toppings on it. So it got a little old after a few days

28085271488_3327c335a0_k.jpg

I think this was the mocha creamice I am not a coffee drink but thought it tasted good

40149312510_f3fa132db5_k.jpg

I told them to make me something similar to the icy bourbon mint mocha just without the alcohol and that would be covered in the refreshment package. They said not a problem and then later on tried to charge me for it this happened about 5 times during the week. The guest services removed it without a fight.

40149310880_6b6599e1cc_k.jpg

Vitality Café

This is how the conversation went when I ordered a smoothie and pretty much how any conversation with a bartender went anytime I tried to order anything other then a virgin pina colada.

Me - I'll take a wildberry smoothie

bartender - We don't have wildberry

Me - Well the sign says you do

Bartender - Oh yea that's right we do

41237553674_b9088d5452_b.jpg

41955926431_9210c52b04_b.jpg

Fruit smoothies aren't my thing so I'm not a accurate judge on those. The fresh OJ was good which I got at the bar in the windjammer. I was looking for a cart to get it from and never saw it I don't know maybe I just overlooked it. It seemed to me like they was trying to hide it since most people have some kind of drink package.

27106091877_f0945ca4a4_b.jpg

I'd heard a lot of good things about Dru Pavlov as CD. Curious as to why you weren't impressed with him or the team.

Yea That's one of the things I want to talk about in depth, but in short I was spoiled by Matt Mitcham on the Vista. Anyone that was my CD after Matt was going to pale in comparison it just happened to be Dru. I don't put all the blame on Dru since this is a mega ship.

Kieron Cox - Best Live Music in my 23 Cruises

He apparently looked like a model, sang like Ed Sheeran and had a personality of Matt Mitcham.... it was disgusting lol.

When I was on the Vista they had a lot of good options for live music however none of them was good enough to make me skip a show to listen to like Kieron was. It was easily the best live music I've heard on a ship in my 23 cruises. It was acoustic so it was still quiet enough to be able to have a conversation with someone. He played at the pub on deck 5 so easy access to get a late night snack. He would typically play from about 9 to 1 with some breaks in between. He played 6 of the 7 nights and since I stay up late knowing I automatically had something to do till 1 was great. I still went to all the main shows just hung out here when that wasn't going on. In general I would say it was the hangout spot for Americans in 20's to 40's range. I got lucky and found him on day 1 which a lot of others didn't till a few days into the cruise. When he said one of his only rules was don't ask him to sing Sweet Caroline I knew it was my kind of place. He sing a lot of newer artist like Sheeran and Stapleton, but still did some 80's classics like Bryan Adams. I have one more video of him singing the song "alice" that you can find on my youtube channel. I am not going to post it here as it has bad language in it and likely will mean nothing to you unless you was on the ship. I'm sure on facebook you can find better quality videos then the one I posted. I believe I heard he was going to move to the symphony at some point. He definitely saved the entertainment for me as outside the main shows wasn't to much going in the way of smaller shows.

41959928831_4abfab4a86_b.jpg

41959928061_31771ecb49_b.jpg

sZbidGlyDYo

Johnny Rockets

I didn't eat here for lunch even as it was $11.74 and I believe that didn't include milkshake. The breakfast (free) was good the problem is the hours are limited to 8 to 10. Since I sleep in I missed it everyday except one and I didn't see the omlettes in mini bites when I looked. I didn't use to the bogo milkshake for coupon for being a past guest.

41237535354_f39867fbe0_b.jpg

41934703272_26ba44c402_b.jpg

Refreshment Package / Virgin Drinks

Royal having a beverage package in between the alcohol and coke was wonderful and that's something that is a major plus for them over Carnival as I don't drink alcohol. I got it on sale for like $148 total (including tips) and definitely got my $ out of it. The freestyle machines was also very handy and as it allowed me to drink something other then coke like poweraid. I drink a lot so I always carry something in to the MDR so I don't run the poor waiter to death. In general I didn't have to sign a paper when I got a drink so that was nice sometimes they would just look at my card and others they would run it through the system. On sea days at deck 15 bars they had the main frozen drinks pre made and in a big cooler. That was nice as it cut down on the amount of time I had to wait.

I had to wait till I got in my room at 1 to prove I had the refreshment package so they charged me and then give me the credit later on that day. I'm not sure how to phrase this but the bartenders didn't seem very knowledgeable on the drinks. I got 3 different answers when asking about a virgin mudslide. One bartender made me a drink with redbull in when I said just make me something that's covered in the refreshment package. When I tried a different bartender at the same bar (deck 8) he said it wasn't included. I was also charged for about 5 drinks that should have been free which guest services removed easily. It wasn't like any of them was rude or anything just seemed like everyone could have been on the same page more about what they can make and what's included. In the end I loved the refreshment package and hope they don't change it.

Miami Vice

28108165658_5eaa3b8be4_b.jpg

Mudslide

28108163998_9e831e774e_b.jpg

Labadozze

41260872054_1d4430a339_b.jpg

Mango, Strawberry, and Redbull

41260870584_9d459a7311_b.jpg

Pina Colada & Redbull

41260868894_bf8ec83c91_b.jpg

Pina Colada & Strawberry

41260867144_e2d1c2a5dd_b.jpg