Single Supplement

A thread in the P&O Oz board has got me thinking. It was about what happens when the second passenger in a twin cabin can't go. The first passenger can inform the cruise line and will then be reimbursed for the cost of taxes and fees for the second passenger. In other words, the cost of the cabin for the now single cruiser will = (2x fare) + (1x taxes and fees).

A cruiser who travels alone upfront normally pays a single supplement of 100%. That is, the fare will be twice that of each passenger in a twin cabin. So that the cost = (2x fare) + (2x taxes and fees).

If I'm right, this seems a bit unfair on the single cruiser.

A thread in the P&O Oz board has got me thinking. It was about what happens when the second passenger in a twin cabin can't go. The first passenger can inform the cruise line and will then be reimbursed for the cost of taxes and fees for the second passenger. In other words, the cost of the cabin for the now single cruiser will = (2x fare) + (1x taxes and fees).

A cruiser who travels alone upfront normally pays a single supplement of 100%. That is, the fare will be twice that of each passenger in a twin cabin. So that the cost = (2x fare) + (2x taxes and fees).

its unfair on the solo cruiser but the cruise line charges for the cabin so the solo person has to pay double unless they can crack a bargain but hotels charge double too so no different

Yep, sadly we get hit for double - cabin taxes etc., but what choice do we have, it's pointless getting upset over it as I can't see the shipping companies changing their policies anytime soon.

As Bob said, Hotels are the same, it is the curse of travelling solo.

Always looks for the positives, we don't have to share the wardrobe or the bathroom.

Judy

As Bob said, Hotels are the same, it is the curse of travelling solo

I was pleasantly surprised when travelling around Europe and Central America to see many places giving cheaper rates to single guests. Obviously it isn't 50% off and comparing the rate for 2 guest occupancy they were cheaper per person but still it was nice not to be paying for two people but something like one and two thirds of a person;p

Yep, sadly we get hit for double - cabin taxes etc., but what choice do we have, it's pointless getting upset over it as I can't see the shipping companies changing their policies anytime soon.

Always looks for the positives, we don't have to share the wardrobe or the bathroom.

Judy

When a passenger in a twin cabin does not turn up, the other passenger can travel solo but gets the fees and taxes on the missing passenger's fare returned. This would indicate that fees and taxes are charged per passenger, not per cabin.

Yet when a solo passenger pays a 100% single supplement, he/she is charged two lots of fees and taxes. In other words the fees and taxes are charged per cabin.

This would seem to be an unfair inconsistency.

As to whether anything can or should be done about it, surely the first step is to be aware that it is happening.

I do recall seeing some facts about a port, can't remember which one now, and the port fees were quoted on a per passenger basis. So the cruise lines are double dipping when they charge double the port fees for a single passenger. Not sure about taxes though.

Judy

Judith are you cruising solo now too,i lost Kay going on 4 years now

with the Ovation you can get a studio balcony cabin at a very good price but you have to be quick as they go quick

i lost your email but this is mine bobm888@bigpond.com

Edited by rkmw

Only consolation to booking for one on P&O (not sure of others) is that you get all the OBC whereas if booking for two then you lose half if one person is a no show.

Not sure how much is port fees but taxes would I thnk be based on fare price so if it is double the price then the taxes would be double.

It is lovely to have a cabin to oneself but you certainly pay through the nose for it. :( :mad:

Just had a look at my booking for January on Princess. I am still paying exactly double what a couple would pay for my total cruise cost but my taxes and port charges are only half.

ie my charges are $250.01 and for a double $500.02. They obviously put up the cost of the cabin by an additional $250 to get around having to give any money back - sneaky hey. Hope that makes sense!!

Oh well, it is what it is and I will have a lovely cruise in January.

Judy

We booked for two people on P&O Aus (Dawn), but my missus could not go, but I did the cruz by myself, we did not receive anything back as a refund.

I suspect the cruise lines will try to get away with whatever they can. If you don't ask for it, they will just keep it.

If the cruise was reasonably recent, I would get back to them and ask nicely for a refund of the taxes and fees.

I suspect the cruise lines will try to get away with whatever they can. If you don't ask for it, they will just keep it.

If the cruise was reasonably recent, I would get back to them and ask nicely for a refund of the taxes and fees.

Nice thought thanks, but it was June last year so I guess its no hope.

How much approx would port fees be for Tasmanian ports? I recently got a refund from Carnival straight after my cruise. Not expected and no explanation. After reading this post I am wondering if it was for port fees as I cruised solo.

How much approx would port fees be for Tasmanian ports? I recently got a refund from Carnival straight after my cruise. Not expected and no explanation. After reading this post I am wondering if it was for port fees as I cruised solo.

For the Tassie cruise we're doing in November on Majestic Princess, with port stops at Port Arthur and Hobart (which is an overnight stop), the port fees and taxes are $105pp.

A few years ago I had a cruise booked on Carnival Legend. Between me paying for the cruise and sailing I went through separation wife my then wife and as a result went on the cruise alone. I informed Carnival at the time that the second person wasn't showing up, no refund of taxes was offered or collected.

A solo cruise (like myself) typically pays 2x the fare plus 1 taxes & port fees. Solo cruisers do not pay 2x taxes & fees, they do not pay 2x gratuities, etc.

A solo cruise (like myself) typically pays 2x the fare plus 1 taxes & port fees. Solo cruisers do not pay 2x taxes & fees, they do not pay 2x gratuities, etc.

If that were the case then the single supplement would be less than 100%, but it isn't.

When the single supplement is 100%, then no matter what your invoice says you are paying the equivalent of 2 x fees and taxes.

If that were the case then the single supplement would be less than 100%, but it isn't.

When the single supplement is 100%, then no matter what your invoice says you are paying the equivalent of 2 x fees and taxes.

Port fees, taxes and gratuities/daily service charges (whatever CL wants to call them) are EACH individual line items on the invoice.

I have not and this October 2018, will NOT be paying 2x fees, taxes and grats.

FYI ... there are 'some' MSC cruises that are NOT 200% cruise fare for a solo cruiser. I was going to book one, but flights over Thanksgiving were CRAZY.

Port fees, taxes and gratuities/daily service charges (whatever CL wants to call them) are EACH individual line items on the invoice.

I have not and this October 2018, will NOT be paying 2x fees, taxes and grats.

FYI ... there are 'some' MSC cruises that are NOT 200% cruise fare for a solo cruiser. I was going to book one, but flights over Thanksgiving were CRAZY.

It's arithmetic. If the single supplement is 100% then you are paying (base fare + fees) plus an amount equal to (base fare + fees). 100% + 100% = 200%.

Didn't mention grats.

It's arithmetic. If the single supplement is 100% then you are paying (base fare + fees) plus an amount equal to (base fare + fees). 100% + 100% = 200%.

Didn't mention grats.

The solo supplement is FARE ONLY. It is NOT 2x fees & taxes &/or Grats.

Didn't mention grats.

ahhh ... you're out of the country. I think your cruise fare is calculated differently than the US. I think your fare is one dollar amount including ALL fees & taxes. SO, NOT the same for the U.S.

Therein lies the differences in our posts.

ahhh ... you're out of the country. I think your cruise fare is calculated differently than the US. I think your fare is one dollar amount including ALL fees & taxes. SO, NOT the same for the U.S.

Therein lies the differences in our posts.

You did notice the name of this board?

I'm not "out of the country". I'm in the country(ies).

The US is not the world.