Has anyone done “In the Wake of the Vikings” transatlantic crossing?

aungrl

DH and I are booked on the September 4, 2018 departure on Viking Sea. My mother and I sailed on the Sky this past January (Turquoise Caribbean) to celebrate her birthday - our first Viking Ocean voyage - and we loved everything about it. Booked the Sept. 4 sailing while on the ship.

Any and all details about the ports, the weather, excursions, etc., will be much appreciated!

My husband and I and a couple of friends did this cruise last September. I believe there were two cruises offered then and we were on the earlier one. We did the Oslo extension as well, with a tour of Oslo and a spectacular train ride to Bergen before boarding the ship.

The weather was bad in Shetland, so we didn't land, but other than that we had quite reasonable weather at each port. Even though the seas were a bit rough off Greenland, we're not prone to seasickness and didn't miss a meal :D We even saw the Northern Lights one night!

This was our second Viking Oceans voyage. Both times we've found the crew to be superb, the lecturers fascinating, the ship gorgeous, and the shore excursions well-organized and enjoyable.

Do you have any specific questions I can answer?

Thanks so much! We’re also on the first of the two sailings this year, departing on Sept. 4. Do you have specific tours or things that you particularly enjoyed that you’d recommend? Fingers crossed that our weather will be cooperative, too. Sorry you had to miss the Shetland stop! :(

Assuming your itinerary is the same as ours:

We boarded the ship in Bergen but didn't leave until the next day. Since we like history and music we went on an excursion to a (rebuilt) medieval stave church and then to composer Edvard Grieg's house. The latter included a concert of his music, in a lovely small concert hall.

We'd been to Iceland before so didn't do the "Golden Circle" tour this time around, but it's very much worth doing if you haven't already done it. The included tour in Newfoundland was to the L'Anse aux Meadows Viking site, where we'd have gone in any event. There's a great museum and the site itself is very interesting.

The wind kept us from getting into one of the ports in Greenland so we spent the day sailing up and down the coast. You can't beat sitting there with a drink and snack watching an amazing coastline glide by. We were able to get into Qaqortaq the next day and walk around.

You can do the old city of Quebec on your own, no problem.

Thank you. We'd been in Shetland before, too, but were looking forward to going out to the archaeological ruins this time. However, we're doing the Viking British Isles Explorer cruise next year and hope to catch up with Shetland.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! This is really helpful. We have the Grieg recital at the top of the list for Bergen, so I’m glad to know you thought it was worth it. We haven’t been to Iceland, so I expect we’ll try to get onto the Golden Circle excursion. I believe the itinerary is supposed to be the same as yours - pending weather issues, of course.

That makes me think of one more question....we’ll be prepared for colder weather and rain. Any special tips about what you packed and what you ended up needing in that regard?

From our Iceland extension: Dress in layers and take rain gear. Some people dressed for the bus tour based on the weather in Reykjavik, but found the weather changed dramatically throughout the tour.

Kept a pack on the bus, gloves, hat, scarf available.

We toured the end of April. Colder than normal, snow on the ground as we headed to the airport.

From our Iceland extension: Dress in layers and take rain gear. Some people dressed for the bus tour based on the weather in Reykjavik, but found the weather changed dramatically throughout the tour.

Kept a pack on the bus, gloves, hat, scarf available.

We toured the end of April. Colder than normal, snow on the ground as we headed to the airport.

We were in Iceland in September, and the weather was mostly abysmal. We’d been forewarned so wore waterproof jackets with hoods. (Forget umbrellas. It’s too windy most of the time. We didn’t see anyone using one.) If you’re planning to do much walking outside, you might even consider bringing rain pants. We were given that advice, which we thought excessive — until we stepped out of the airport in rain sheeting sideways and were soaked through from head to toe within seconds.

And yes, the weather changes rapidly!

We still loved it and want to return. The beauty of that place is surreal.

Oh, and if you like to take pictures, consider a waterproof camera, or keep your regular camera in a waterproof case. I did both.

We had very nice weather overall. It rained in Bergen and in Newfoundland, but not in torrents. We had a few sprinkles in the Faroes. Iceland was gorgeous, sunny but cool enough we were able to walk back to the ship from downtown Reykjavik (about 2 miles) without getting overheated. It was the same in Greenland, bright and chilly. Sagenuay and Quebec were so sunny and warm we walked around in shirtsleeves.

I took along some cotton turtlenecks, a cotton sweater and a wool sweater, a pair of gloves, and a raincoat with a hood. I also had a scarf for my neck and head when it was damp, and a cotton hat for the sun. I never had any trouble with my umbrella blowing away. Maybe we were just lucky!

I would recommend more than one pair of walking shoes, ones with non-slip soles. Sometimes the paths are wet even if the sky isn't, and it's always good to let your shoes dry out between wearings.

http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2016/09/20/viking-star-transatlantic-days-1-and-2/

Sorry for the long link. This is the travel blog that caused us to book this trip -- last September - the later sailing. You might find it interesting. We did get to the Shetlands -- met Patty and her ponies! We took the included excursions in every port except L'Anse aux meadows. I couldn't get a satisfactory answer as to why that included excursion was listed as "difficult" so we did the trip inland where an early hospital had been started for the Newfoundlanders. It was very interesting especially because our guide gave us a good look at how these folks live. These included excursions were good overviews -- bus ride, photo stops -- although weather was an issue in the Faroes. Reykjavik was not as good an excursion, mainly due to the guide we had. But it's a fascinating place. Yes, take rain gear! Yes, layers!

As the blogger says, this is almost more of an "expedition" -- certainly very different from a Caribbean cruise. Try to attend the lectures on the Vikings so you will have a better appreciation of what you see when you go ashore.

Thanks, everyone! This is all really helpful. The link to the blog also has tons of great detail. I’m feeling much clearer on what to expect and how to prepare!

All other suggestions welcome. Less than 4 months to go!

• 3 weeks later...

I did this cruise last September. Weather prevented us from stopping in Nanortalik but were able to do all other stops. We did a few included tours at most stops, and the only one that was somewhat dissatisfactory was Quebec City, only because the tour was cut quite short due to some traffic issues they had and so it was rushed and not in it's entirety. Weather was decent. I dressed about the same as I did for a summer Alaska cruise...Reykjavik was quite rainy and my mother and I walked into town from where the bus dropped off. We honestly were there for Icelandic wool and didn't do a tour (regretted it later because I think I'd like to see the country).

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to see you on board, LoucksLion ...

Have you signed up for the Meet & Greet and visited the Roll Call?

Colyn R., Nassau Native

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...
We had very nice weather overall. It rained in Bergen and in Newfoundland, but not in torrents. We had a few sprinkles in the Faroes. Iceland was gorgeous, sunny but cool enough we were able to walk back to the ship from downtown Reykjavik (about 2 miles) without getting overheated. It was the same in Greenland, bright and chilly. Sagenuay and Quebec were so sunny and warm we walked around in shirtsleeves.

I took along some cotton turtlenecks, a cotton sweater and a wool sweater, a pair of gloves, and a raincoat with a hood. I also had a scarf for my neck and head when it was damp, and a cotton hat for the sun. I never had any trouble with my umbrella blowing away. Maybe we were just lucky!

I would recommend more than one pair of walking shoes, ones with non-slip soles. Sometimes the paths are wet even if the sky isn't, and it's always good to let your shoes dry out between wearings.

We are booked on In the Wake of the Vikings in Sept 2019 the only sailing that year and it is already sold out. Many people have expressed envy that we have booked as they left it too late!

Any reviews from this year would be appreciated.

Thanks

We are booked on In the Wake of the Vikings in Sept 2019 the only sailing that year and it is already sold out. Many people have expressed envy that we have booked as they left it too late!

Any reviews from this year would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just back from the Sept 4 - 18 sailing of this itinerary on the Viking Sea. It was an amazing trip, and we were lucky to have great weather throughout. That said, I think your best bet is to pack layers. We expected rain and cooler temperatures throughout, and ended up with no rain and much hotter temps than normal. In Quebec City, I had to buy shorts in the ship’s gift shop because it was sunny and 84 degrees, and the only shorts I packed were for the gym! I wore everything I brought at various times - hooded waterproof jacket, jeans, hooded sweatshirt, etc. But also in shirtsleeves and lightweight cotton pants with all the other layers off at times.

We brought waterproof walking shoes/boots and wore them several times, but this is because they were comfortable, not because we needed the waterproofing. We really were lucky with the weather!

On this cruise right now. Weather has been a difficult factor. We are on the Saint Lawrence river today. We have missed 4 of our stops. Many extra days at sea.

This has been a horrible cruise for us. It turned in to a repositioning cruise, since we skipped 4 ports. And we feel the Captain was too hasty in canceling ports. A repositioning cruise is not what I signed up for or paid for. And Viking ships aren't designed for a lot of sea days in a row. Nothing to do but lectures.

This has been a horrible cruise for us. It turned in to a repositioning cruise, since we skipped 4 ports. And we feel the Captain was too hasty in canceling ports. A repositioning cruise is not what I signed up for or paid for. And Viking ships aren't designed for a lot of sea days in a row. Nothing to do but lectures.

I’m so sorry you’re having this experience! The Sept 4-18 cruise had such good luck, and I was hoping that yours would, too. We only missed one port, Nanortalik, due to 3-foot swells which would have made the tenders too risky. Instead of that visit, the Captain cruised through Prince Christian Sound, which was amazing. There were various issues with other ports - the Faroe Islands didn’t want us to stay at the dock because a supply ship was double-booked for the (only) berth, After much back and forth, Captain Gangdal found a different port, let off all the passengers so we could meet various tour buses, and then sailed the ship to the other port. The buses took us to that port at the end of the tours. So he really went above and beyond, in the face of a difficult and unexpected situation. At L’anse aux Meadows, again, the seas were too rough for the tenders, but he found a port elsewhere, St. Anthony, where he could safely dock the ship, and the excursion staff located school buses to take anyone who wanted to go to L’anse aux Meadows for the site visit - again, just amazing above-and-beyond-expectations service and creative problem-solving. It makes me so sad for you that you’ve had to miss four ports. I’m hoping that your weather has improved, and that you’ll be able to visit the remaining stops on the itinerary. Too many sea days in a row would be incredibly disappointing. :(

Sorry, but Captains don't cancel ports for no reason, or even make hasty decisions. Port calls are a significant source of revenue and missing them also causes extensive negative reports.

While the Captain will endeavour to provide the cruise you signed up, his/her primary consideration is your safety and the safety of all other crew members, passengers and the ship.

When dealing with wind, passengers ships are significantly more challenging to handle rather than cargo ships, box boats, tankers, etc. Cruise ships have a substantial windage, but comparatively shall drafts, so are more susceptible to high winds. Cargo ships are the opposite - deep draft and small windage area. Passenger ships must also maintain a schedule, whereas non-passenger vessels tend to wait out the weather and dock when conditions improve.

Having spent almost 30 years in command of passenger vessels, I know many old Captains, a few bold Captains, but I do not know any "Old & bold" Captains. BTW - the Captain is most likely aware of significantly more information regarding why they cancelled a port, than they may release to the passengers.

I also note on our last World Cruise, we missed Halifax, supposedly due to ice. We never saw any ice, which resulted in many passengers grumbling. However, while I also never saw any ice, I would never 2nd guess the person ultimately responsible for my safety.

While your cruise was obviously a disappointment, may I suggest these types of statements regarding the Captain are of no real value to others, unless you have experience commanding and handling large passenger vessels and can substantiate the statement with facts.

• Like 1

We were on the 4th September cruise this year - we just missed one stop in Nanortalik due to the wind and had a relocation in the Faroes which we really liked as we were able to take a lovely walk up the Fjord - it affected those wanting to visit Torshavn on their own which wasn’t possible. It is a beautiful trip - we saw amazing scenery both on land and from the boat and some amazing whale watching in the St Lawrence on the way to Saguenay. The weather was generally very good indeed - I had too many clothes with me - just wore my thinnest fleece and rain layer but we are used to it being from the U.K.!! The deck was closed one day for walkers due to the wind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, but Captains don't cancel ports for no reason, or even make hasty decisions. Port calls are a significant source of revenue and missing them also causes extensive negative reports.

While the Captain will endeavour to provide the cruise you signed up, his/her primary consideration is your safety and the safety of all other crew members, passengers and the ship.

When dealing with wind, passengers ships are significantly more challenging to handle rather than cargo ships, box boats, tankers, etc. Cruise ships have a substantial windage, but comparatively shall drafts, so are more susceptible to high winds. Cargo ships are the opposite - deep draft and small windage area. Passenger ships must also maintain a schedule, whereas non-passenger vessels tend to wait out the weather and dock when conditions improve.

Having spent almost 30 years in command of passenger vessels, I know many old Captains, a few bold Captains, but I do not know any "Old & bold" Captains. BTW - the Captain is most likely aware of significantly more information regarding why they cancelled a port, than they may release to the passengers.

I also note on our last World Cruise, we missed Halifax, supposedly due to ice. We never saw any ice, which resulted in many passengers grumbling. However, while I also never saw any ice, I would never 2nd guess the person ultimately responsible for my safety.

While your cruise was obviously a disappointment, may I suggest these types of statements regarding the Captain are of no real value to others, unless you have experience commanding and handling large passenger vessels and can substantiate the statement with facts.

G'day Heidi13/ Andy

I don't mean to be disrepectful to the many other CC members who provide worthwhile / useful comments, information and opinions in this forum, but I just wanted to let you know experienced, informed Members such as yourself, Jim Avery, Capt BJ and others with ocean going experience add real value to this forum which can't be replaced. Thank you for taking the time to provide input and comments, I just wanted to let you know you (and Jim and Capt BJ etc) are appreciated. Cheers from me.