Reservations for Specialty restaurants on Viking Sea

sweetieweetie

This is my first cruise on Viking. I have a Penthouse Junior Suite as I am in a wheelchair and those were the only handicap accessible rooms. Anyway, my MIL and guest and SIL and husband are also on the cruise but in Veranda Cabins. I can book specialty restaurants in a week but they have to wait. Is there a way to “invite” them even though they can’t make the reservations yet or would that mess my reservations up? Or is there a link I can give them once they can book? One more question, I cannot have dairy, will the specialty restaurants be able to work around that? TIA

Why don't you call Viking and ask them your reservation questions? They can answer your questions.

According to the Viking website, Viking will accommodate dietary restrictions such as food allergies. However, kosher meals are not available.

There have been some changes to the reservation system since I last used it and even then I wasn't making reservations for more than one cabin. However, you can all make your reservations separately and then once you board the ship, you can merge them into one table.

As for dietary needs, not a problem. You should contact Viking in advance of sailing so that they will be ready for you. Viking has a system on board for dealing with folks with dietary issues (allergies, gluten-free, low-salt, etc.) and there is an assistant manager tasked with keeping track of you. Each night, the AM will find you in the dining room and give the menu for the next night. You are asked to return the menu with your choices for the next night to the MDR maitre d's station by 10 am the next morning. If you aren't dining in the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants, the AM will leave the menu outside your cabin (right behind the room number placard). When you arrive at dinner, your menu choices will be handed to your waiter. When you check in for dinner, just let them know that you have a menu sitting in the stack they have on the podium.

Be sure to read the FAQ, especially the sections about handicapped accessibility and Can You Accommodate My Dietary Restrictions?. Viking spells our fairly clearly what you can expect and what the restrictions are.

Why don't you call Viking and ask them your reservation questions? They can answer your questions.

According to the Viking website, Viking will accommodate dietary restrictions such as food allergies. However, kosher meals are not available.

If you have to contact Viking, reach out to the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com. Be sure to include your reservation number in your e-mail and a phone number of you would like to speak with them.

This is my first cruise on Viking. I have a Penthouse Junior Suite as I am in a wheelchair and those were the only handicap accessible rooms. Anyway, my MIL and guest and SIL and husband are also on the cruise but in Veranda Cabins. I can book specialty restaurants in a week but they have to wait. Is there a way to “invite” them even though they can’t make the reservations yet or would that mess my reservations up? Or is there a link I can give them once they can book? One more question, I cannot have dairy, will the specialty restaurants be able to work around that? TIA

There is a new button now when you reserve the restaurants “invite guests” or something like that. You would probably need their names and booking number.

There is a new button now when you reserve the restaurants “invite guests” or something like that. You would probably need their names and booking number.

I wonder if the "guests" accept the invitation if if will count against their number of guaranteed reservation nights or if the invitation can be accepted before the period in which reservations open for that cabin category.

Unless there is some type of control on the "invites," I can see where this could be a work around on the limits on the number of guaranteed reservations and time period in which the different cabin categories can make the reservations.

I wonder if the "guests" accept the invitation if if will count against their number of guaranteed reservation nights or if the invitation can be accepted before the period in which reservations open for that cabin category.

Unless there is some type of control on the "invites," I can see where this could be a work around on the limits on the number of guaranteed reservations and time period in which the different cabin categories can make the reservations.

Please don't think of the advanced reservations that we are permitted to make as "guaranteed" reservations. Viking does not use that terminology. Even though we are entitled to so many advanced reservations, there is nothing that says we are guaranteed to get them.

Unfortunately I can’t answer this one. I vaguely remember that you have to know booking number of your guests to invite them. This button is new. You might do a search on this one because someone had a success to invite guests recently(within last month?). I don’t remember the thread. Sorry..

Please don't think of the advanced reservations that we are permitted to make as "guaranteed" reservations. Viking does not use that terminology. Even though we are entitled to so many advanced reservations, there is nothing that says we are guaranteed to get them.

I beg to differ - from the Viking Website for a DV stateroom

"1 guaranteed priority reservation at each alternative restaurant: 60 days prior to departure"

• 2 weeks later...

Will be sailing Into the Midnight Sun in a couple of weeks. We already have our specialty restaurant reservations, what is the chance of securing reservations once we get under way? First VO trip, we usually go on Oceania and have been able to visit the specialty restaurants multiple times, first come first serve.

Also, did not see hours of operation for the main DR. I assume it is open seating?

Will be sailing Into the Midnight Sun in a couple of weeks. We already have our specialty restaurant reservations, what is the chance of securing reservations once we get under way? First VO trip, we usually go on Oceania and have been able to visit the specialty restaurants multiple times, first come first serve.

Also, did not see hours of operation for the main DR. I assume it is open seating?

On our first cruise, we had no advance reservations, but were able to get onboard reservations for Mandredi's once and Chef's Table twice. We did not seek additional reservations, so I am not sure how easy it would be to get multiple reservations.

The Restaurant, as they call the main dining room, is open seating. You may request a table for two, or ask about joining a group table. If times are the same as they were on the Star last spring, all dinner venues are open 6 -9 pm. Tea in the Wintergarden 4-5 pm, and lunch followed by snacks at the Pool Grill 11:30 am to 5:00 pm. Snacks are also available at Mamsen's in the Explorer's Louge off and on throughout the day. The full schedule of all locations is listed on the back of the Viking Daily.

I think Viking creates a little "tension" over advance bookings. We didn't bother with advance bookings and, in 4 months on board, never had an issue getting a venue or a time we wanted. And we were in a DV. Also managed to add other couples or put together groups the day of the dinner. I really would not worry over reservations. And yes, they will do as much as possible to handle your dietary restrictions.:cool:

Once onboard, there is a station as you enter the World Cafe portside where you can make additional reservations, check the menus, etc. they want everyone to have the opportunity to make reservations in the specialty restaurants.

There were 8 different menus in the Chef’s Table that changed every 2 days during our 14 night cruise.

In Manfredi’s, the menu didn’t change but they offered daily pasta and daily fish specials.

Also download the Viking Voyager app, you can make reservations, check menus, review your appointments, shore excursions, read the Viking daily and more.

Once onboard, there is a station as you enter the World Cafe portside where you can make additional reservations, check the menus, etc. they want everyone to have the opportunity to make reservations in the specialty restaurants.

There were 8 different menus in the Chef’s Table that changed every 2 days during our 14 night cruise.

In Manfredi’s, the menu didn’t change but they offered daily pasta and daily fish specials.

Also download the Viking Voyager app, you can make reservations, check menus, review your appointments, shore excursions, read the Viking daily and more.

So that is a new schedule for the Chef's Table. Last year on the Star it was a three day rotation. That will just make it harder to sample each of them. We also loved the Restaurant and the World Cafe. Too many good places to eat!

I eat almost anything but my DW is pretty traditional. Is it possible to eat at the Chef's Table and one person orders off the main restaurant menu? I'd really like to try this dining option but she may not enjoy it.

I eat almost anything but my DW is pretty traditional. Is it possible to eat at the Chef's Table and one person orders off the main restaurant menu? I'd really like to try this dining option but she may not enjoy it.

On the Sun, if the CT offering was not to your liking, they would readily bring something else. Easy to get a grilled chicken breast, steak, etc.

Reservations are not really a problem at Chef's Table but there is a strategy. The menu dose change every 2 days. Advance reservations, before you board are a "crap shoot" since you don't know what is being served. If that matters and you're not sure, try one of the Oriental menus. These tend to book early as they are safe bets for most as they are familiar with that 'type' of food. All menus will be available as well as a schedule of days when you board. You can both look them over and see if there is a menu you could both agree on. They do make exceptions(Should you have an allergy? Just saying...) but I don't think they will let you order from a different restaurant on board. I have always had a V cabin and the first 14 night cruise, we ate 7 night meals in a specialty restaurant. This last 12 night cruise, we ate 5 times. Never booked before we boarded and were even able to coordinate with others. "Try it, you'll like it"

It just now occurred to me that the excellence of the dining venues across the board, and in particular the surprisingly good World Cafe buffet may make it easier to get reservations in the specialty restaurants. People quickly realize that they do not need to book a specialty restaurant to have a good meal, and that spreads the crowd across all venues.

Chef's Table was a favorite of ours, but the set menu of somewhat adventurous food is not everyone's cup of tea, and that may make reservations a bit easier to secure. We made two once onboard with another couple we met on the cruise.