Loyalty levels. I wonder what would happen if...

pathi

I have seen a lot of posts about loyalty perks lately.(Mostly Princess) With all the gripes I wonder what would happen if a line ran out of all card colors except blue?? Everyone still gets their perks for their loyalty level. But everyone on the ship has a blue card!!

Would the cruise line have to turn the ship around due to riots??? lol

Am laughing at the OP's post, but perhaps its a valid point. Consider that a few years ago HAL decided to get rid of their "Medallions" which were simply tinny oversized medallions given to those who had X number of days (100.300. 500 etc). The Medallions had no real purpose (other than to stroke one's ego) and did not impact the regular loyalty program which offered various perks. But many of the older HAL cruisers went nutz when they thought their medallions were going away and they complained en masse. HAL relented and still gives out the silly medals (DW tossed ours in a storage drawer with all the other silly pins and garbage).

On a few cruises we have arrived at embarkation only to discover that the special queues for those with high loyalty levels (often us) were often longer then the regular lines. When that happens, DW and I simply choose the shortest line. One time when we moved to a regular line we overheard a woman exclain, "I earned the right to be in this line (referring to a line for high loyalty members) and I am not moving to a regular line." We were checked-in and on the ship while we suspect that lady was still in her "priority line."

Hank

I don't care what color my card is.

Our cards usually indicate very high loyalty levels (on many cruise lines). But they stay hidden in my pocket (DW keeps hers inside her Kindle case). We would no more wear a card around our neck then put our house keys on a neck chain. We do believe that most who wear their cruise cards do it for convenience...but there are certainly some that want to "impress" folks with their card color. What they don't realize is that a large majority of folks have no clue as to card colors. I should add that HAL gives most the same color card and the loyalty level is discretely displayed by the number small stars on the card. Celebrity has so many different colors that most have no clue as to what they all mean. In fact, we have over 250 days on Celebrity and have no clue about some of the colors (and could care less).

We are soon taking our first MSC Cruise and are already in their highest loyalty level (Black) before we have ever set foot on one of their ships. They have a Loyalty Match program and our status on a few other lines got us immediate Black status. The only reason we sought out the benefit was that it saved us 5% off a fare in excess of $10,000. That is real money.

Hank

Hank: I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but...... This coming Jan will be our 3rd cruise on MSC. As we are "Elite"on Princess, they matched with thier highest level which is "Black". Early boarding was REALLY early boarding, Procecco and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to your cabin on formal night. A comp surcharge dining for 2, thier "meet & greet" and repeaters party puts every other line to shame, and an additional OBC for repeaters, and if you work/worked for state/fed/municipal gov't, you get a 10% discount rather than the 5% on some cruises, after you've sailed once. And thier "Drinks on Us" package pretty much comes out to a $15 a day add'tl charge. I think Princess now is $59 a day, plus an added 15% gratuity and friends of ours who are heavy drinkers just returned and said on top of those prices, they were allowed 15 drinks a day, however you can PAY for more, if you want. Haven't been on the "Seaside", but the "Divina"is a beautiful ship. Nice spacious public rooms, very nice pool area(s) and one is under a sliding glass dome. The BEST pizza on any cruise ship, too! We really really enjoyed it and that's why we're going on it again this coming winter. (Plus I speak Italian, so it was great kibitzing with a lot of the officers and staff). But back on topic...I couldn't care less what color my card was, as long as I got the perks commensurate with whatever level I was.

Am laughing at the OP's post.

Hank

This is mostly tongue in cheek. :) However I know there would be very long lines at passenger service desk if this actually happend.

This is mostly tongue in cheek. :) However I know there would be very long lines at passenger service desk if this actually happend.

You just reminded me of something that happened a few weeks ago. We were on the Golden Princess (in Asia) and there were apparently some issues on the ship that upset more then a few. The lines at Guest Relations were awful and this seemed to be around the clock. But alas, Princess has a special Guest Relations line for Suites and Elites :). On that particular cruise that might have been the best Elite benefit.

Hank

Would anyone believe once upon a time....there were NO loyalty perks....we sailed one line 10+ times, and the first time or tenth, you had the same "paper" boarding card

Sounds like a myth to me... Right up there with Unicorns, and a time when everyone dressed for dinner...;)

I don't even want to know. All I know is, I would not want to be surrounded by a bunch of people who care what color their stupid card is.

Princess has multi-color Cruise Cards:eek:?????

Never realized that; when did that start:confused:?????

Princess has multi-color Cruise Cards:eek:?????

Never realized that; when did that start:confused:?????

Many years ago. For example, Elites get a Black Card. I think those in the large suites have their own color. But for those of us who keep our cards tucked discretely in a pocket or purse the color is meaningless. The crew will sometimes react to the color by saying something like "welcome back" which is really not a biggie. Princess also color codes the name tags put next to the cabin doors so you can walk down the corridor and see how many are in what loyalty class...if that is how you want to spend your day :).

Hank

I could care less about the color of my card, I'm just flippin happy to be on the cruise.

My opinion too.

We have just returned from MSC where we were status matched to black, we signed up to the drinks package on embarking, the staff member said she would get our cards activated, when she returned we had blue cards, she explained that there were no black cards available to her at that time but the card stated "Black card" in small type and worked exactly the same. She said we could get our Black cards from our cabin and have them updated if we wished, we didn't, but we later met a few people who did, especially those that wore them around their necks on lanyards. I guess it is more important to some people than others.

I have seen a lot of posts about loyalty perks lately.(Mostly Princess) With all the gripes I wonder what would happen if a line ran out of all card colors except blue?? Everyone still gets their perks for their loyalty level. But everyone on the ship has a blue card!!

Would the cruise line have to turn the ship around due to riots??? lol

Sales of lanyards would drop dramatically. ;p

some lines have different coloured card for the cabin type nothing to do with your loyalty level

I use a lanyard for convenience some manufactures feel women do not need pockets in their clothing & I do not carry my handbag around the ship

YMMV

I’ve never sailed on a cruise line that had different colored cards. Seems silly.

I haven't a clue if I have or haven't... I didn't know such things existed. :rolleyes: