NCL Dawn - Boston

pmoniz

Wondering what others experience was driving to the port in Boston? We live about 50 minutes south of Boston and I know traffic can be crazy at certain times of the morning. What are your suggestions for a good time to drive into port? Our check-in time is 10-1030?

Rte 3??? That's a parking lot every morning, then so is Rte 24 and 95. Road repairs, accidents, special events in Boston all contribute to the traffic mess. Whatever is your "normal" drive time to Boston, add an hour and be aware of alternate routes just in case. You may want to keep an eye on "smart routes" for a few weeks and look at traffic volume on the same day as your cruise so you'll be aware of the general speed and road conditions.

Darcy

Rte 3??? That's a parking lot every morning, then so is Rte 24 and 95. Road repairs, accidents, special events in Boston all contribute to the traffic mess. Whatever is your "normal" drive time to Boston, add an hour and be aware of alternate routes just in case. You may want to keep an eye on "smart routes" for a few weeks and look at traffic volume on the same day as your cruise so you'll be aware of the general speed and road conditions.

Darcy

Thank you for responding Darcy. We'd go 24 to 93. It's about a 50 minute ride from our pick up spot to the terminal. Good suggestions with adding an additional hour and checking traffic volume on same day as cruise! I will do that this Friday. We leave on the 25th. Maybe I can think of some fun games/prize giveaways for our group while we wait in traffic! :confused::confused:clear.png?emoji-confused-1977Thanks again!

I'd leave at 8:30, and get there around 10-10:30. If you leave after about 6:30 it's a mess. Even with "tons of traffic", two hours will be plenty of time. And as stated above, if you arrive later you can still get on and it's pretty easy.

I would still plan a later arrival. I live out west, when I sailed the Dawn a couple of years ago I left my house around 11:00 and got to the port around noon. Dropped my wife and luggage off, parked, and was eating lunch around 1:00.

But then again, I'm at the point where I don't need to be the first person on board.

Thanks for the tips! Wasn't sure how NCL worked with arrival times so good to know you can be late! We've gave our driver a pick up time so we should be good to go! I'll plan some travel games for the group if we do hit traffic! Not the end of the world.

Hi Pmoniz,

I have driven I-93 from the South Shore almost daily for 8 years (yes...it's awful!) and I would predict that on Friday, 5/25 traffic will be a little lighter than normal. It's the Friday of a long weekend and I have found that ALOT of people either work from home on those Fridays or take the day off. Personally, regardless of the requested check-in time from the cruise line, I'm never in a huge hurry to get to the port and then have to just sit around or to get on-board before lunchtime or when my cabin is available. To minimize sitting on the Southeast Expressway, I'd leave no earlier than 8:30 or 9.

Enjoy the cruise and Bermuda!

Lynne

Hi Pmoniz,

I have driven I-93 from the South Shore almost daily for 8 years (yes...it's awful!) and I would predict that on Friday, 5/25 traffic will be a little lighter than normal. It's the Friday of a long weekend and I have found that ALOT of people either work from home on those Fridays or take the day off. Personally, regardless of the requested check-in time from the cruise line, I'm never in a huge hurry to get to the port and then have to just sit around or to get on-board before lunchtime or when my cabin is available. To minimize sitting on the Southeast Expressway, I'd leave no earlier than 8:30 or 9.

Enjoy the cruise and Bermuda!

Lynne

Lynne, Thank you so much!! Just what I was looking for!!! Very helpful and that's the plan! Leaving around 9ish!! Thank you again!