Food Allergies

Just wondering others experiences, is Holland America good with dealing with food allergies. Cruised on Celebrity a number of years back and it was fine. Going on the Veendam on June the 2nd from Montreal for the New England cruise, curious if anyone else has done this cruise as well. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My spouse has fairly severe food allergies, and we have never encountered a problem on any of our more than a dozen HAL cruises since her food allergies first became active. When she was initially diagnosed, we filed Special Requirements Information Form with HAL and received HAL's guidance as to how HAL would accommodate her allergies and what would be required of us to insure proper accommodation. Attached is a copy of the SRI Form, which lists HAL's Access & Compliance Department telephone number to call with questions.

SRI_Form.pdf

My DW has a number of food allergies. The last time we were out she had no problems either: a) finding acceptable meals in the Lido or b) having the ability to select her meal for the next night with annotations on a sheet. We had filled in the SRI form on previous cruises but I don't believe it was required on our last cruise.

We have completed about 20+ cruises with HAL including 4 world cruises and they have been wonderful in handling my wife's severe food allergies (we have to carry epipen, so it is serious). They provide menu the night before the next dinner so she can indicate what she wants to have. The food is prepared at a special station which we have seen in Kitchen tour. Our area manager and our waiters are tuned in, so everyone does a great job in making her feel relaxed at dinner.

When the menu appears to have too much that is possibly a challenge to overcome, she either eats the salmon or stead they have everyday or we go to Pinnacle or Canaletto or Lido.

Just let everyone know of the specifics once onboard. While we always comply with the requests to provide information in advance, it is prudent to visit the various venues for dining and speak with the person in charge.

Also, when going on all day excursions with HAL, make sure to contact Shore Excursions on the ship a couple of days before the excursion. They will inform the shore-side folks and that should help a lot.

harry

We have completed about 20+ cruises with HAL including 4 world cruises and they have been wonderful in handling my wife's severe food allergies (we have to carry epipen, so it is serious). They provide menu the night before the next dinner so she can indicate what she wants to have. The food is prepared at a special station which we have seen in Kitchen tour. Our area manager and our waiters are tuned in, so everyone does a great job in making her feel relaxed at dinner.

When the menu appears to have too much that is possibly a challenge to overcome, she either eats the salmon or stead they have everyday or we go to Pinnacle or Canaletto or Lido.

Just let everyone know of the specifics once onboard. While we always comply with the requests to provide information in advance, it is prudent to visit the various venues for dining and speak with the person in charge.

Also, when going on all day excursions with HAL, make sure to contact Shore Excursions on the ship a couple of days before the excursion. They will inform the shore-side folks and that should help a lot.

harry

Great post, harry!!! (y)(y)(y) Thanks for the helpful tips as well.

I cruised HAL many, many times between 2004 and 2011 with only one special diet requirement--no sugar. And HAL was altogether great on that score.

This year is our first year back to HAL (and cruising) and now I have multiple markers to tend in addition to sugar. HAL has been wonderful through the planning phases. Communication up front, I think, is important. Giving HAL plenty of time to decide what they can and can't provide, etc.

Reading the various reports by others, I am confident that I'll enjoy my dining experiences and return home as healthy--if not more so:p--than when we left.

I was on Zuiderdam in April. I have a shellfish allergy. First night in MDR waiter asked about allergies. I was only one at our table, and I was given the menu for the next night every night. Sometimes my dinner arrived at same time as table mates, and sometimes it was slightly delayed.

In Lido, since there were some shellfish options at pasta station, I asked chef to use a clean pan for cooking my mushrooms (my choice with pasta) and he was most gracious. And one day a lady in front of me requested gluten free pasta, and again chef was most gracious in dealing with her food issue.

As far as I am concerned, HAL is outstanding in the way they handle food allergies.

I cruised HAL many, many times between 2004 and 2011 with only one special diet requirement--no sugar. And HAL was altogether great on that score.

This year is our first year back to HAL (and cruising) and now I have multiple markers to tend in addition to sugar. HAL has been wonderful through the planning phases. Communication up front, I think, is important. Giving HAL plenty of time to decide what they can and can't provide, etc...

Spot on, QoA!!! (y)(y)(y)

I was on Zuiderdam in April. I have a shellfish allergy. First night in MDR waiter asked about allergies. I was only one at our table, and I was given the menu for the next night every night. Sometimes my dinner arrived at same time as table mates, and sometimes it was slightly delayed.

In Lido, since there were some shellfish options at pasta station, I asked chef to use a clean pan for cooking my mushrooms (my choice with pasta) and he was most gracious. And one day a lady in front of me requested gluten free pasta, and again chef was most gracious in dealing with her food issue.

As far as I am concerned, HAL is outstanding in the way they handle food allergies.

cruzn single, your experience mirrors ours to a "T". Thanks for acknowledging HAL's outstanding service in this regard. (y)(y)(y)

I was impressed with the way they handled my allergies. They even prepared some of the dishes without the particular item. Like a dessert with Hutson top. Something they should be able todo if it was prepared in a separate kitchen like they advertise. Other cruise lines often bans lot of dishes instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One other thing I forgot earlier. On last gala night “Surf and Turf”was one of the entree options. I asked waiter if I could mark just “no lobster” and he said of course. I was surprised when my plate arrived—2 filet mignons!!! As an aside, one of the men at the table who didn’t like lobster was extremely jealous.