Live from the Island Princess

aknursemom

I have never done a live report before, so please bear with me!

We have embarked in Vancouver. We arrived early at 0930. There were plenty of porters available to take our luggage. We checked in with Princess and then went through security. That all took about 30 minutes. We then cleared customs and went to the EPS waiting area. We started boarding at 1120. We were first in line at passenger services and first to sign up for the UST! We are currently enjoying an espresso while our room is being readied. I'll keep posting. Please ask any questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer them!

Keep the updates coming!! We board the Island Princess on June 6 but are going Southbound. Any cabin info you have would be great. Also, how's the food?

Thanks!

We were on the Island a few weeks ago and the food was excellent. Great variety and very well prepared.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Have a great trip! I just got off the Island Princess from Alaska yesterday, and everyone I spoke to on board raved about the cruise.

We had a similar embarkation experience. Despite there being three ships in Canada Place the day we left, we breezed through security and customs/immigration in about half an hour. The trick seems to be to arrive early. We were on the ship at 11:15 and we were the very first passengers at the pristine lunch buffet!

After sitting on our deck on Vancouver Island and watching the ships pass on their way to Alaska we thought it about time we did the trip. So last September we sailed on the Island Princess...we had a fabulous time..food, entertainment, suite were all top notch. So we’ve booked the Island Princess for the 22 day Panama cruise out of Vancouver, September 19th....so looking forward to it.:)

Just a few more words about embarkation: The staff was very pleasant and in goodhumor. They kept us well informed about what was happening. I think people aremore patient when they know what is going on, so I really appreciated it!

We had lunch in the dining room in the club class area. Itwas very good. I’m sorry I didn’t get a picture of the menu. What I rememberwas a salad of mixed greens, shrimp with avocado and limoncello aioli, salamiwith roasted eggplant and squash, and another app that escapes me right now. Ihad the shrimp and salami and salad. The shrimp thing and the salami/veg weredelicious. DFhad tenderloin with potatoes and veg and enjoyed it.

Muster drill was delayed until after 4. Our station was inthe fitness center. That is one complaint that I have about the ship. Havingthe muster station there is not a problem, but there were several older peoplewith mobility issues and no place to sit. It would have been nice for Princessto put chairs in there for them. The muster drill itself was fine. The little LoveBoat-ish song they play was at the beginning and the end and it wasentertaining. The actual instruction was a more serious tone. AND no life jackets to carry around!

Sail-away was beautiful and sunny. Actually, my nose is alittle sunburned today! We ate at the Bayou Café last night. It was complimentaryfor us, which was good because I would not have been happy to have paid extrafor it. I did not enjoy the food much. I had jumbo prawns and the flavors in itjust didn’t go together well. They had a special Alaska menu in addition to theregular menu, which had some nice fish dishes. DF had blackened chicken with succotash and he said it was very good. I'm probably being picky, because I'm from the south and used to grandma's cooking, which is to die for! The service was slow, but good. The music was wonderful!

This morning we had breakfast at Sabatini’s. They offeredmimosas and juice, but we did not partake. We did enjoy espresso drinks. The service was very good. You canorder anything you want, even if it isn’t on the menu. The food was good. I hadan omelet that was made to my specifications and it was just perfect! DF hadcorned beef hash and said it was just ok. There were only 3 tables occupied, so no wait at all!

The ship seems to be in good shape. It looks like some newer carpet has been put down and there are some rolls of carpet out on the Promenade deck waiting. The crew is wonderful –very friendly and willing to go out of their way to be helpful. Our cabin steward is Arthur. He is very sweet and attentive. Ice bucket filled and in the fridge without asking. We are in A726, the Livorno suite. At the back. I'll talk about the room in another post.

Last night was formal night and we ate in the MDR. We were in club class. No waiting - we went about 1930. The special items were escargot and chateau briande (I don't know how to spell it!). We had breakfast in Sabatini's again this morning. I tried the poached eggs over potatoes. Holy hollandaise was that good! Sabatini's breakfast is one of the best suite benefits. We have dinner there tonight.

The weather is beautiful and sunny today. We have seen orcas and dolphins so far this morning. It is fun to see how people are dressed. Some are bundled up like a blizzard is coming and some are in flip flops and shorts. I think it will be warm today when in port. We are at Icy Strait today.

OK, so about the room. It is beautiful. The balcony is amazing! I think it is probably about the size of 3 regular balconies combined. It is my first time in a suite. I have stayed in inside, balcony, and mini-suite before. There is a small amount of vibration, but I don't think it's any more than other cabins I have been in. When the thrusters are in use, there is more vibration. It woke me up, but DF was blissfully unaware. The most annoying part was the hangers rattling in the closet. I just shoved them together and that put a stop to it. There is nothing rattling off the edges of tables, etc. We have a plethora of plates and glasses and even those don't rattle. I have not had to shove papers, towels, toothpicks, etc. into anything. The hot water has been more than ample and VERY hot.

There were robes AND slippers in the closet. Also, a gold mesh bag with spa goodies and another silky bag that has stuff in it that is supposed to help you sleep - a bath cube, linen spray, lip balm, etc.

We sent some laundry out yesterday morning and haven't gotten it back yet (first sea day). I'll keep you posted.

Last night was formal night and we ate in the MDR. We were in club class. No waiting - we went about 1930. The special items were escargot and chateau briande (I don't know how to spell it!). We had breakfast in Sabatini's again this morning. I tried the poached eggs over potatoes. Holy hollandaise was that good! Sabatini's breakfast is one of the best suite benefits. We have dinner there tonight.

The weather is beautiful and sunny today. We have seen orcas and dolphins so far this morning. It is fun to see how people are dressed. Some are bundled up like a blizzard is coming and some are in flip flops and shorts. I think it will be warm today when in port. We are at Icy Strait today.

We were on the 19day Pacific Adventure on the Island before it headed north. We were in the very last cabin on Caribe deck. The trusters did vibrate, but then again I like the motion and vibration.

OK, so about the room. It is beautiful. The balcony is amazing! I think it is probably about the size of 3 regular balconies combined. It is my first time in a suite. I have stayed in inside, balcony, and mini-suite before. There is a small amount of vibration, but I don't think it's any more than other cabins I have been in. When the thrusters are in use, there is more vibration. It woke me up, but DF was blissfully unaware. The most annoying part was the hangers rattling in the closet. I just shoved them together and that put a stop to it. There is nothing rattling off the edges of tables, etc. We have a plethora of plates and glasses and even those don't rattle. I have not had to shove papers, towels, toothpicks, etc. into anything. The hot water has been more than ample and VERY hot.

There were robes AND slippers in the closet. Also, a gold mesh bag with spa goodies and another silky bag that has stuff in it that is supposed to help you sleep - a bath cube, linen spray, lip balm, etc.

We sent some laundry out yesterday morning and haven't gotten it back yet (first sea day). I'll keep you posted.

We were on the Island for the 19 day Pacific Adventure just prior to her sailing north for the Alaska season. We were in the very last aft cabin on Caribe deck, described on CC as the noisy room. Thrusters do vibrate aft portion of the ship, but other than that it was very delightful. Theater got crowded, there were only 6 ports on a 19 day cruise, so entertainment was a big draw. If you happen by the Lido pool bar, please say Hi to Alberto, Natalia, Harvin, Jean, Serge( very large man) from Mr Tim, The Coors Light Man.

Aloha.

Hi Deb,

I won't post them if you are. Hope you are enjoying the cruise. Did you see the dolphins and orcas this morning?

Yes! Saw more orcas these last couple days than our 13 previous Alaska cruises combined.

I'm enjoying your trip report. You've done a lot more than we have so far. Keep it up!

We were on the Island for the 19 day Pacific Adventure just prior to her sailing north for the Alaska season. We were in the very last aft cabin on Caribe deck, described on CC as the noisy room. Thrusters do vibrate aft portion of the ship, but other than that it was very delightful. Theater got crowded, there were only 6 ports on a 19 day cruise, so entertainment was a big draw. If you happen by the Lido pool bar, please say Hi to Alberto, Natalia, Harvin, Jean, Serge( very large man) from Mr Tim, The Coors Light Man.

Aloha.

We know Harvin from before. He did the Martini demonstration yesterday. Always the showman!

OP~ Thanks for you posting on your cruise.

DH and I took the Panama canal cruise (19 days) 3 weeks ago on the Island. I kept an open mind after all I have read here on CC.

The crew is exceptional! The cruise director was really good!! Calli Smith. The shows were wonderfully entertaining. The entertainment was for the most part pretty good. The food IMHO was very good to just OK.

Had to use the treadmill in the gym once and it was not ideal at all. Couldn't wait to get my steps in and out. No windows and felt like there was no air moving around.

Now for the promenade deck for walking...not a big deal really. I was one of the ones who would cut through the ship to the other side and continue on. I enjoyed looking out @ the ocean with my music playing through my headphones and walking for 1 1/2 hours. I probably got a bit frustrated with those that would be strolling along slowly in the middle of the deck and totally ignoring that people were walking faster than they were but oh well! That's life. I reminded myself that I was on a cruise and just go with the flow ;)

DH and I both thought that the Island and its crew were on the top of our lists for a fantastic cruise. We would sail on her again especially if they had the same captain and crew again.

If your steward picks up your laundry before 9 am and takes it down you’ll get back before dinner next day. Not all stewards are experienced in all suite perks. I always bring a print out of perks from the website. If I need to I will show it to the steward. Usually all that is needed is a kind request.