Celebrity has gone sooo down hill

cccruisin

Avoid celebrity. Not what it once was.

Besides many issues like entertainment one worse than the other.

Tender in Shetland islands 2 hours to get off ship. Get very little time in port because not enough tenders.

Using 2 80 passenger tenders to get almost 3000 off the ship.

Stupid dump awful.

Have tenderd many ports pri

Princess, Cunard and others never such a stupid ridiculous experience.

Any line is better than Celebrity!!!!!

We have sailed on both the lines you mention among others and enjoyed them all, Celebrity was the best for us and we are booked again for next year. Not sure what the “stupid dump “ line is all about but you can go on every board and find people stating the cruise line is crap.

I'm curious about the tenders used... must have been local (limited availability) and not the ship's lifeboats. Were there other ships in port that needed tenders? Did you complain onboard and what did they say about the delay? Some things are just unavoidable and knowing the reason makes a disappointment easier to deal with.

Tender in Shetland islands 2 hours to get off ship. Get very little time in port because not enough tenders.

Stupid dump awful.

I hope you come back and elaborate on why Celebrity is awful based on more than just the tendering process. How was the food and why was it so terrible? The service staff were great, good or terrible? I tend not to put too much on posts such as these when such blanket statements are made on very little information. I've been on three Celebrity cruises and enjoyed them all as the service, food, fellow passengers are all fantastic!!

That comment made me chuckle. I can think of a few cruise lines that are far worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stupid dump awful.

love people like you, makes more room for the rest of us who still enjoy Celebrity.

Hey, at least you made it to Lerwick. Many times that port is cancelled due to rough seas.

And FWIW, there were no tender issues for us when we were there in August 2016 aboard the Silhouette. I do recollect that the tenders were port-supplied. Loved being greeted by all the "Vikings" especially the young ones who really were in the spirit of being scary invaders. Our day there was lovely, so sorry yours wasn't.

I was on the TA. I can't speak specifically about the Iceland cruise that followed , but the entertainment was excellent on ours. We tendered once and the process was smooth and easy.

The ship is beautiful and in great shape. Food is subjective - we had some hits and a few misses. As I don't cruise for food, it was all acceptable for me.

I cruise on several lines and I'm not "loyal" to any of them. If X offers me the itinerary and price I'm looking for then I will book with them again.

Just for the record, I cruised on Zenith when she was brand new and honestly was totally underwhelmed, so much so that I didn't take another X cruise until 10 years later. Mass cruising is mass cruising and I think all lines have made changes and have their good and bad points.

Edited by mek

We had the same tendering issues in the Shetlands on RCCL a number of years ago. Tenders are always a challenge -- more so if the weather is bad or the sea-state above 1. Doesn't matter what line, it's a challenge with these huge ships to get a lot of people off quickly. Tenders hold ~150 people and it takes time to board. Figure 2500 people want to get off. That's roughly 15 tenders. Tenders take 10-15 minutes to load and 5-15 minutes to transit each way, depending on the port. Do the math.

Experienced cruisers know this and prepare for it.

How? Take a morning ship's tour (you'll be off first). Wait until the mad rush/crush ends around noon and manage your expectations regarding time in port. Or, just stay on the ship and enjoy having the pool, etc. all to yourself (we've done this many times).

The fact is that Celebrity is no better or worse than other lines re tenders. That's why some folks avoid cruises with tender ports or do what I mentioned above.

We were on the Eclipse TA this year. It was one of the best, if not the best cruise we've ever had. Entertainment as "mek" said was great, especially with Jayne Curry.

Our stateroom attendant was excellent, food was great.

We tendered once and it was very easy and quick.

Sorry you had such a bad time but we've been on several different lines, Princess, Royal, HAL, Carnival and Celebrity beats them all in pretty much any category except price, unfortunately. But then, at least for us, the additional $$ are worth it if the itinerary works.

We have been doing 2 cruises a year for the past several years and I cannot agree that I have encountered a significant loss in quality. We have noticed changes which depend on perspective for an improvement or decline. Much depends on the ship. The silhouette is our favorite followed by the constellation based on the quality of the crew.

In the original posters comments I see it as one bad event spoiled the entire trip. I see this as a common theme among negative trip reviews. It is unfortunate to feel you lost out on something you were looking forward to. life happens and making the whole trip about one day, event or excursion is a recipe for a bad vacation. When planning a vacation around a single event it will most likely result in an unsatisfactory vacation.

Odd to recommend avoiding an entire cruise line based on one issue in one port of call, but whatever. I have not been to the Shetland Islands so cannot comment on how tender operations work there. Does Celebrity have to use lifeboats for tendering or are they provided by the local port authority? If its the latter I would assume the issue would exist regardless of cruise line so therefore not much of a condemnation of Celebrity. I am not X loyalist and will call them out in a second but this just seems a really strange reason to suggest no one sail with them.

I hope you come back and elaborate on why Celebrity is awful based on more than just the tendering process. How was the food and why was it so terrible? The service staff were great, good or terrible? I tend not to put too much on posts such as these when such blanket statements are made on very little information. I've been on three Celebrity cruises and enjoyed them all as the service, food, fellow passengers are all fantastic!!

c - please do not encourage these types of posters to come back. Let it be one post here and done, for the most part.

I do prefer posters who have beefs with X and/or its' services to do a complete review of the sailing and not hit on one or two factors unless there was bodily harm or something similar that took place.

bon voyage

I was on the TA. I can't speak specifically about the Iceland cruise that followed , but the entertainment was excellent on ours. We tendered once and the process was smooth and easy.

The ship is beautiful and in great shape. Food is subjective - we had some hits and a few misses. As I don't cruise for food, it was all acceptable for me.

I cruise on several lines and I'm not "loyal" to any of them. If X offers me the itinerary and price I'm looking for then I will book with them again.

Just for the record, I cruised on Zenith when she was brand new and honestly was totally underwhelmed, so much so that I didn't take another X cruise until 10 years later. Mass cruising is mass cruising and I think all lines have made changes and have their good and bad points.

I hope you typed that slowly so the OP could keep up. Your thoughts are valid!

Well, I just stepped on board the beautiful Constellation for three weeks. I’m closing in on 300 days at sea, most of them on Celebrity. So far I have encountered an immaculately clean ship, a smiling and happy crew, including a former wonderful maitre d’, Laurence, and a CD who is new to me and took time to chat with me. So it doesn’t seem to me that things are going downhill.

Stupid dump awful.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience. We would never book or not book a cruise based on CC reviews or opinions. We've got two future cruises booked with Celebrity and looking forward to those cruises as we have with all our past Celebrity cruises.

We were on the Eclipse TA this year. It was one of the best, if not the best cruise we've ever had. Entertainment as "mek" said was great, especially with Jayne Curry.

Our stateroom attendant was excellent, food was great.

We tendered once and it was very easy and quick.

Sorry you had such a bad time but we've been on several different lines, Princess, Royal, HAL, Carnival and Celebrity beats them all in pretty much any category except price, unfortunately. But then, at least for us, the additional $$ are worth it if the itinerary works.

On the same TA a completely agree with your comments about entertainment. It was the best I've seen in quite a few years. Jayne Curry was at the top of her game! Was also on the Ireland/Iceland cruise and the tendering was no better or worse than other cruises that were required to use the ship's tenders. I did notice that portion size on dinners was reduced, but one could always ask for more.

This live link clearly shows at least four tenders being used. At 80 passengers each they are moving 320 people at all times. So, each tender, if full, would take ten trips during the day to move 3200 people to and from town, right? Since the passenger capacity of Eclipse is 2850 and probably 20% don't use the tender then 2280 passengers need to be moved. I think you had a bad day and I sure hope tomorrow and your next cruise on Carnival is a wonderful experience. Better yet, stay on land and your feet won't get wet!

https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/town-hall-east/

Stupid dump awful.

Enjoy another cruise line. Bye Bye.

I find this thread interesting; you could put the name of any cruise line in the title based on what I see on other cruise line threads. They is no such thing as a perfect cruise; at least during my past 47 years of cruising on almost every cruise line. Only cruise I never took was cruising around my local Dairy Queen :D. Listen, I paid $600 for an Oceanview cabin on a 7 day Caribbean cruise in 1974. Same price today. Something got to give.