Luggage brands

Beachfrog

Our luggage is starting to really show wear, and we are considering purchasing new. Can anyone recommend a mid-priced brand of soft-sided luggage? We are now using Kohl's brand of luggage which has held up pretty well for being very inexpensive.

Our luggage is starting to really show wear, and we are considering purchasing new. Can anyone recommend a mid-priced brand of soft-sided luggage? We are now using Kohl's brand of luggage which has held up pretty well for being very inexpensive.

We have Lucas brand from Boscov's. It seemed reasonably priced several years ago when we got it (Black Friday sales) and has held up well for us.

Also going to switch it up for our next long cruise, from 2-wheel pull-behind to 4-wheel spinner.

I reckon we're going to go with 2 x 28"-30" pullmans and 2 x 20"-21" (International size) rollaboards.

What we have now is a 29" Samsonite pullman, the 25" version of the same bag, 2 old-school 22" rollaboards (that are just ever so slightly oversized that they nearly always cause us trouble if we want to carry them on and a GA wants to be obtuse), and a 12"x12"x25" duffel. The Samsonites have gone about 11 years now, so they are just out of warranty and starting to look/feel their age.

I'm trying to omit the duffel (which usually ends up containing overflow clothing) entirely and then strap the like spinners together for easier portability. I know with certainty this can be done after I saw someone do likewise at the end of our last cruise (though he tied his together at the telescoping handles). Then we'll check everything (we are nearly always entitled to 2 checked bags each), except that I'll use a small backpack for my laptop and other small bits and pieces that MUST be in the cabin with me, while Mrs. BigWally will use a small tote.

For shorter cruises, I would imagine we'd be able to get by with one or both pullmans and the rollaboards as our carry-ons.

I travel every week for one overnight, so I carry a Travel Pro 21” roll on suitcase everywhere. For family travel we bought the expandable hard side ones from Costco. The’ve been to Europe, China, four cruises a year and look almost new.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I travel every week for one overnight, so I carry a Travel Pro 21” roll on suitcase everywhere. For family travel we bought the expandable hard side ones from Costco. The’ve been to Europe, China, four cruises a year and look almost new.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TravelPro- not cheap but, look at what most airline crew members are dragging behind them through US airports: TRAVELPRO. If you purchase certain models, they are guaranteed forever.

As regards luggage (in general) with "spinners," note the fine print on each wheel, which says "Baggage Handlers: please break me off".

As regards luggage (in general) with "spinners," note the fine print on each wheel, which says "Baggage Handlers: please break me off".

Laughed out loud at that but unfortunately so true!

IT Luggage has a luggage line (Carry Master) with removable spinner wheels. In that line is both a massive 32" pullman and a 20" carry-on that would work for me. Edit: Make that DID - looks like it's a closeout line.

Edited by bigwally

I buy whatever's in my price range that fits my needs. NO luggage will last forever, if you travel frequently...although I'm still using 2 Samsonite bags from about 30 years ago....they look a mess, but they work for me!

GO to a big box retailer like COSTCO or SAMS and buy what they have. What ever you buy is going to be beat up so why spend the money on something expensive.

GO to a big box retailer like COSTCO or SAMS and buy what they have. What ever you buy is going to be beat up so why spend the money on something expensive.

Costco is great for many things but good luggage is not among them. Their stuff is decent but not guaranteed forever.

Costco is great for many things but good luggage is not among them. Their stuff is decent but not guaranteed forever.

Neither am I, but after about a dozen cruises, trips to Europe and China as well as weekend get always they look new... And for $100 for a 26” and 22” set it’s a bargain.

I have a Costco Kirkland brand 22 roller board. Have had it for 20 years. I used it for the first ten years for constant business travel. Still looks like new.

I do not use it very much any more. It is a little heavy and does not meet the Asian or European carry on regs (we travel with carry on only).

Purchased an Eagle Creek International carry on . It withstood 7 weeks of independent travel in SE Asia this past winter. Trains, ferries, boats, plains, buses, tuk tuks, the lot. It looks like new. Light, excellent handle, wheels (2) are first rate.

DW`s Rick Steve`s roller carry on has withstood 5 years of constant independent travel, five months a year, and looks like new. Same story...great handle, great wheels.

Our travel needs dictate wheels instead of spinners, and soft vs hard side. I realize thought that there is a big difference when you do not have to check your bag. I can well understand why the air crew`s bags last so long.....they don`t have to check them,

Edited by iancal

A friend used to sell luggage at a luggage store and highly suggested Briggs and Riley.

Good stuff, but have you priced it??????

Was your friend on commission?

I travel a lot.

I am using Delsey now. With the limits on weight, I wanted something very light.

And I like a bag that opens more on one side, versus those that open in the middle.

The only issue is, the zipper runs up over the "top" (when laying down to open), and the airlines drag the bag upside down and damage the zipper. But I found that a strip of gaffers tape over the zipper solves that issue. No other issues with handles or wheels.

This one, I have one 25" and one 29" - https://www.ebags.com/product/delsey/helium-shadow-30-25-spinner-suiter-trolley/290509?productid=10353409

I also have a Samsonite I got to try out. Nice, but not as convenient, but seems very durable.

I buy from eBags online. Fast, good service. And low prices. And occasional nice sales.

Another vote for TrevelPro. As with many things in life cheap is not good and good is not cheap. The durability will be worth the money long term.

In my case I still use the 2-wheel pull behind as they better fit my use. Spinners are great on hard level surfaces but terrible on city sidewalks and carpets. The exposed wheels also make them more vulnerable to damage.