Gombey Dancers

nina_930

I was watching some youtube videos and it seems like they stop at some point. Does anyone know where they stop. Also, is there a set time they come or is it periodically throughout the night? TIA!

I was watching some youtube videos and it seems like they stop at some point. Does anyone know where they stop. Also, is there a set time they come or is it periodically throughout the night? TIA!

When I have been they usually start at 7:30. They go down the length of Front Street stopping at various intervals. When they reach the end of Front Street near the ferry terminal their performance is over.

• 1 month later...

HI, Not a reply, sorry, but I do have a question. We will be there Wednesday, Sept. 5th, 2018. I know the Goombey dances finish up the week before, sorry we miss it, although we have seem them before. Do they still do "Harbour Nights" and what is there do to beside watching the lovely parade? It's been a few years? Thanks in advance.

Edited by UandMe4Ever
more info

HI, Not a reply, sorry, but I do have a question. We will be there Wednesday, Sept. 5th, 2018. I know the Goombey dances finish up the week before, sorry we miss it, although we have seem them before. Do they still do "Harbour Nights" and what is there do to beside watching the lovely parade? It's been a few years? Thanks in advance.

Harbour Nights is a street festival with local vendors having tables selling mostly art items and some foods like Portuguese donuts. The dancers perform and sometimes the Bermuda Regiment “beats the drums” and parades. The last Harbour Nights of 2018 will be Wednesday August 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harbour Nights is a street festival with local vendors having tables selling mostly art items and some foods like Portuguese donuts. The dancers perform and sometimes the Bermuda Regiment “beats the drums” and parades. The last Harbour Nights of 2018 will be Wednesday August 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.

I am, I believe, on your sailing that week, UandMe4Ever, if you are on the Escape. It is unfortunate that the Harbour Nights will have finished up the week before as Charles reports, but some years they have extended it. They really should, big tourist ships will continue to come in through October and it brings tourist dollars to Hamilton. I am keeping my fingers crossed, I would love to see the Gombey Dancers!

I am, I believe, on your sailing that week, UandMe4Ever, if you are on the Escape. It is unfortunate that the Harbour Nights will have finished up the week before as Charles reports, but some years they have extended it. They really should, big tourist ships will continue to come in through October and it brings tourist dollars to Hamilton. I am keeping my fingers crossed, I would love to see the Gombey Dancers!

Highly unlikely it will be extended without there having been an announcement of such at this late date.

Also you may be giving too much weight to the cruise ship dollars it brings to Hamilton. Since few ships dock in Hamilton the attendance of cruise ship passengers has declined at Harbour Nights from the days when two cruise ships docked at the then two cruise ship berths on Front Street. Only a minority of cruise ship passengers ferry over to Hamilton from the Dockyard to attend Harbour Nights. It can be somewhat of a hassle from the Dockyard. Along with that the number of local vendors has noticeably declined in recent years.That is possibly another reason the festival dates are limited. The local community may not be able to or want to sustain a longer schedule.

Edited by Charles4515

• 1 month later...

Guess we miss the Gombey Dancers this trip! We are not on Escape, but Summit. Well perhaps another time. Thanks! Enjoy your cruise:)