Veendam Boston to Bermuda 7 Day

umpisoccer

We have never cruised Holland America. We have taken the NCL Dawn from Boston to Bermuda a couple of times. The cost for both the Veendam as well as the Dawn to Bermuda is very similar for a mid June cruise 2018. For those of you who have cruised on the Veendam, do you think we will enjoy the ship as much as we have enjoyed the NCL Dawn over the years. Thank you for your help.

I sailed Dawn to Bermuda, 2016 and Veendam to Bermuda 2017 both 7 days from Bostotn. I enjoyed bo th cruises. there were some things I liked better on each. I don't know you so have no idea what you like and how you like it. :) Sorry I cannot know what matters to you on a ship.

We did the Boston to Bermuda on the Veendam a couple of years ago and enjoyed being docked in Hamilton. The freedom to come and go in the city was wonderful. Let's just say we liked it so much that we are going to repeat the trip on Saturday!

We did the Boston to Bermuda on the Veendam a couple of years ago and enjoyed being docked in Hamilton. The freedom to come and go in the city was wonderful. Let's just say we liked it so much that we are going to repeat the trip on Saturday!
Bon voyage. Have a wonderful time. My wife and I honeymooned in Bermuda aboard the Song of Norway 30 years ago 6/11/88 we'll be back there on the Veendam 6/11/18. We were there for our daughters 21st birthday 5 years ago aboard the NCL Dawn which was docked at the naval dockyard. NCL was nice but not our cup of tea. Holland America is a more laid-back classic approach to cruising than NCL (in my opinion). So the Veendam docking on Front St in downtown Hamilton is a win win for us.

Thanks,

Michael

A few years ago we sailed the Veendam from New York to Bermuda. We loved it. The best part is that the ship docks right smack dab in the middle of downtown Hamilton. The Veendam is a smaller boat and we've sailed it once more after Bermuda. We like it well enough but really missed the aft pool.

Disembarked the Veendam a few hours ago. This was my third time sailing her to Bermuda and I will be sorry to not be doing it any more. Last year we were in an aft Vista suite which I simply adored. This year we were starboard and therefore looking out over Front Street. If I were to redo anything about this trip it would be to be on the Port side since the noise from the bars was very much in evidence and lasted until the early hours of the morning.

There are very few activities on board (which is fine with us since we don't require being entertained.) Most activities are obviously revenue producing. The Fitness Center is very good with ample machines.

We took a ferry back to Hamilton from the Dockyard one day at about 5pm and there were 700 people waiting to board. We all made it on but the time it took to load was longer than normal.

We also did Veendam last June, and loved being downtown in Hamilton. Took buses from there to St George and along the coast to dockyard with ferry back. We are so glad we did as it looks like Veendam is going to Europe next year and there will not be Bermuda cruises on HAL next year, except for one day port calls on transatlantic.

If I were to redo anything about this trip it would be to be on the Port side since the noise from the bars was very much in evidence and lasted until the early hours of the morning.

Did this cruise last May on the starboard side and we didn't notice any noise from the bars at all. I loved being in downtown Hamilton. It definitely didn't feel like a cruise though. I like my at sea time.

Just got back from Veendam Bermuda trip. Hamilton, for us, is preferable to Dock Yard. Hamilton, being in the center of the island allows you to easily get any of the buses which we used each day (also the ferries). We got a bus pass (3 days/$44.00pp) and used it on 3 bus round trips and two ferry round trips. There are also tokens that can be purchased. Being in Hamilton on Harbor Night Lights (Wed, 7-10 p.m). was fun and we were glad not to have to return to Dock Yard early as the last ferry was 9 p.m. and you had to get into line earlier if you wanted to be sure to get on.

the bar scene in Hamilton is "in season" i.e. not May or Sept. Best not to be on the street side anytime. Nice scenery and peace and Quiet on other side. Decisions about Dockyard/Downtown depends on what you expect from a cruise. Many people just stay put at Dockyard for the bars, beach and partying. Downtown with a two day bus pass (and ferry) will be great for those who want to travel around the island--St. George, Lighthouse, etc. I think cruises to downtown stay longer than those to Dockyard.

The cruise was wonderful. Only "rough" seas happened between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. when we entered the Gulf Stream. I wakened but then the "roll" quickly put me back to sleep.

Ship was generally in good shape considering it is an older one--two elevators needed repair with one aft elevator never being in use that I could tell. Staff was good to excellent (cabin stewards were excellent), library books in total disarray but the space was very inviting and most times there were no chairs available to sit, thought internet was a bit faster but it could have been that it wasn't being used very much. Helpful front desk staff. Would be helpful if there were clear indications as to where lines begin for getting food in the Lido. Usually my food is cold by the time I get it all together. Room service on time and only one mistake on order which was fixed within 10 minutes or so.

Entertainment--Production shows o.k. Classical music very nice. Had two independent entertainers but went only to one but got there half way through performance. Piano bar well attended but was too loud for me. Ocean bar had a trio led by Harvey and it was our "go to" place for dancing and drinks especially before dinner. Wide range of music and musicians very personable. Didn't do any of the EXC offerings except for Planet Earth show with live musicians which we enjoyed.

Spent a lot of time in port and on island. Wednesday evening was Harbour Night Lights--a street fair with musicians, parade of Gombey dancers, food vendors and side shows.

We've cruised NYC to Hamilton 3 times and love Bermuda so much we could go every year. However, we have no interest in anchoring at Dockside and love being street side in Hamilton. Seeing what is happening in the city from our balcony and then joining in is what we are there for. Dinner in Hamilton every evening is always delightful and so good. We take bus/ferry to the rest of the island attractions (have to have lunch in St George's at least once) and also go with a taxi driver for a half a day tour. We enjoy the ship while going from and coming back to the US, but we take this cruise for the Bermuda days.

Not only did we sail 3-4 times to Bermuda. but also had at least 3-4 resort s tays on the island. I liked being at dockyard when I sailed with friends on NCL. more than I expected .

When we sailed,some years ago Celebrity NYC to Ber muda, we docked in Hamilton as I did on Veendam last July

Edited by sail7seas

For those who just sailed on the Veendam to Bermuda how was the ship? Were the seas rough? Did you enjoy your time in Hamilton?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Smooth seas going over. Rough coming back. Bermuda is gorgeous. Hamilton very nice.

Did not care for the Veendam....JMO

Why didn't you like the Veendam?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Very long story, and I don't want to say too many disparaging things about a cruise ship on a public forum. My mother used to say that if you have nothing good to say, say nothing. I think that is good advice.

Perception is personal and others on the ship might have a totally different opinion than me.

Let's leave it at: my previous voyages on HAL were great. This one not so much. And even if my back problem was not present (which happened the day before the cruise), my DH and I both agree, this ship was less than stellar.

The destination: Great. Bermuda is lovely. Boston pre and post nights. Very nice. No complaints.

Read a bunch of opinions before you make up your mind. And then average it all out..........

Smooth seas going over. Rough coming back. Bermuda is gorgeous. Hamilton very nice.

Did not care for the Veendam....JMO

On my most recent cruises To Bermuda, on Dawn and the next yea r on Veendam, the seas going and coming home were remarkarably calm though I remember other times when the sailing was not quite as smo th