Currency/money in other countries.

tran93le

Next month I will be going on my very first cruise. I’ll be going to Montego Bay, Cozumel, & Grand Cayman. This is my very first time going out of the country since I was 8. Would I need to do currency exchange to use cash? & is my credit/debit card allowed to be used? With using my card, would there by any foreign exchange fees? I expect to pay about what the price says at each place I’m going (using the exchange rate of course). I don’t want get charged an additional “x” amount per transaction. I know what I’m saying is a little confusing, but hopefully one of you guys can help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where you are going, the Caribbean, you can get by with US $’s only. For larger purchases use your CC. VISA or MC would be best. As to whether you would have foriegn exchange fees that depends on what CC you have. I have multiple ones but only use ones without fees when I travel. For cash in the islands bring some smaller bills, ones and fives, so you can make purchases without needing change.

As previously mentioned, bring small bills in US cash. Make sure they are clean and in good condition. (If you have any that are basically good but well wrinkled, iron them ... I do it all the time :)

Call your credit card company to put a travel notice on it. Ask about foreign transaction fees. Hopefully, your card does not charge any. If it does, you may want to bring more cash.

It seems that some credit cards are moving away from out of country vacation alerts. Two of our credit cards no longer request it. Don't know if this is a trend or not.

Varies with the company but never hurts to go online and let them know if they have a spot to do it.

If you are traveling and want clean crisp bills, you can go to any bank and they will exchange for newer.

If you give them a week notice, they will get you fresh new bills from the mint.

As previously mentioned, bring small bills in US cash. Make sure they are clean and in good condition. (If you have any that are basically good but well wrinkled, iron them ... I do it all the time :)

Whats wrong with wrinkled bills?

Next month I will be going on my very first cruise. I’ll be going to Montego Bay, Cozumel, & Grand Cayman. This is my very first time going out of the country since I was 8. Would I need to do currency exchange to use cash? & is my credit/debit card allowed to be used? With using my card, would there by any foreign exchange fees? I expect to pay about what the price says at each place I’m going (using the exchange rate of course). I don’t want get charged an additional “x” amount per transaction. I know what I’m saying is a little confusing, but hopefully one of you guys can help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just as English is the universal language the American dollar is accepted everywhere in the Caribbean.

If you do not reside in the US then you would likely want to do a foreign exchange.

Whats wrong with wrinkled bills?

Some places will not take old, dirty, or wrinkled bills.

One time, I was given a bill as change, but then the same person would not accept it back for another purchase.

Absolutely nothing...the only place we've been that wanted our money to "look good" was Russia.

There are many other places that will not accept old, dirty, or wrinkled bills.

I've had people in various places in the Caribbean and South America inspect money and a couple of times ask for 'nicer' looking bills. They prefer new-looking currency; not sure if it is because of possible counterfeit bills and/or that they have trouble exchanging them for local currency.

We have not needed local currency for the Caribbean.

There are many other places that will not accept old, dirty, or wrinkled bills.

...and banks in China won't accept older style Ben Franklins.

MIL tried to deposit our new style $100 bills with some unwrinkled older ones and they rejected the older ones.

If you are traveling and want clean crisp bills, you can go to any bank and they will exchange for newer.

If you give them a week notice, they will get you fresh new bills from the mint.

This is a myth - in virtually all countries where US currency is accepted (everywhere on OP's itinerary) those US bills circulate there - and wind up being more worn than what you see circulating in the US - where banks are directed to withdraw significantly worn bills from circulation.

This is a myth - in virtually all countries where US currency is accepted (everywhere on OP's itinerary) those US bills circulate there - and wind up being more worn than what you see circulating in the US - where banks are directed to withdraw significantly worn bills from circulation.

Really??

How many countries have you been to?

I have traveled to a number of countries where old, dirty, wrinkled bills are NOT accepted. As I mentioned, I have been given a bill in change that the same vendor would not accept back for an additional purchase. And travel guidance for those places clearly tells you this.

And notice the other posts which supports this. NOT A MYTH.

Yes, THEY use old, worn, dirty US bills, but they will NOT accept them from non-locals.

If you want to avoid any issues, get fresher or even new US bills.

Chile charges a reciprocity fee upon entry, had about $360.00 in cash and could not come up with the $120.00 they needed in unwrinkled bills. Used a crisp and unbent charge card.

However, there are those countries that do not accept credit cards. :D

Really??

How many countries have you been to?

I have traveled to a number of countries where old, dirty, wrinkled bills are NOT accepted. As I mentioned, I have been given a bill in change that the same vendor would not accept back for an additional purchase. And travel guidance for those places clearly tells you this.

And notice the other posts which supports this. NOT A MYTH.

Yes, THEY use old, worn, dirty US bills, but they will NOT accept them from non-locals.

If you want to avoid any issues, get fresher or even new US bills.

Certainly all the countries OP was talking about, as well as a number of others. I have never had a problem having reasonably used or wrinkled US bills accepted - so the notion of ironing them is silly. Of course if you are talking about torn or really filthy bills, I can see anyone, anywhere - even in the US being reluctant to accept them; but seriously - how many of you carry torn or really filthy bills in your wallet?