Stolen passport in Barcelona = missed our cruise!

Hi all - just 1 hour after we arrived in Barcelona my travelling companion had her handbag stolen which of course included her Passport!

This occurred last Friday night 11 May so of course no-one working over the weekend so the ship sailed without us this past Monday afternoon!

The new Emergency Passport arrived here in Barcelona today so we are now flying to Athens which is the next stop for our cruise!

For this to happen on DAY 1 of our “trip of a lifetime” was devastating to say the least but we must admit that we thoroughly enjoyed our extended stay here in Barcelona!

My TC is a frail quite deaf 75-year old who suffers from terrible anxiety so there was no way I was going to commence the cruise & leave her to her own devices!

The Travel Insurance people see it differently of course - happy to reimburse her all the additional expenses but ZILTCH for me! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all - just 1 hour after we arrived in Barcelona my travelling companion had her handbag stolen which of course included her Passport!

This occurred last Friday night 11 May so of course no-one working over the weekend so the ship sailed without us this past Monday afternoon!

The new Emergency Passport arrived here in Barcelona today so we are now flying to Athens which is the next stop for our cruise!

For this to happen on DAY 1 of our “trip of a lifetime” was devastating to say the least but we must admit that we thoroughly enjoyed our extended stay here in Barcelona!

My TC is a frail quite deaf 75-year old who suffers from terrible anxiety so there was no way I was going to commence the cruise & leave her to her own devices!

The Travel Insurance people see it differently of course - happy to reimburse her all the additional expenses but ZILTCH for me! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So sorry to hear this Gae. I don’t blame you at all for not leaving your friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't really blame the insurance people for not paying for your extra expenses. They are in the gambling business after all, and would be bankrupt soon if they'd have to pay twice on a single bet.

But you got to see more of Barcelona and you still got on the ship. :)

I think if you had a single insurance policy covering you both then both of your costs would have been covered. If you each have separate policies then yes, you'd be out of luck.

I’m currently in the UK with my daughter. Thankfully we are on a single policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh Gae, what a shame for this to happen on your trip of a lifetime. It seems you have made the most of a bad situation and enjoyed your days in Barcelona. Good luck for the remainder of your trip.

Leigh

So sorry to hear that, Gae. You did the right thing staying with your TC, shame the insurance company won't cover your costs.

I had my handbag stolen in the UK some years ago. Luckily we were touring by car, and it was in week two of a seven week trip, so I had plenty of time to organise a replacement. Still, it shook me up for a few days.

While you are on the ship now I believe so you have a couple of choices. First one spend your time trying to correct this, insurance etc. Or forget about this until the cruise is over and then see if credit cards (Many have Insurance) the Cruise Insurance or even the cruise line will do anything for you.

I include the cruise line here while they have zero legal responsibility because happen before you started the cruise. Many times they will for customer good will offer you something a future credit for the day, etc. Again I'm not saying they are required to pay you anything, just that for good business they may help you.

Again you have time after the cruiser to correct so for now I would just enjoy the rest of the trip.

Sorry to hear about your friend getting robbed. How traumatic. You did the right thing in staying with her. Enjoy the remained of your journey.

Sorry this has happened to you Gae. Puts a dampener on your holiday and shakes your faith in human nature.

Edited by Blue Elephant
Correct typo.

Sorry this has happened to you Gae. Puts a dampener on your holiday and shakes your faith in human nature.

Unfortunately Barcelona is one of a number of cities where it's not unheard of. I think that was even mentioned earlier.

Enjoy the holidays but you also have to be cautious about those around you, as travellers are easier targets.

What a horrible thing to happen :( Of course you would stay with your friend - I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who didn't.

I hope you are able to relax and enjoy the rest of your cruise now.