Just off First Royal Caribbean Cruise

PGCRUISERS

Just off the Explorer of the Seas. First RC Cruise after six Carnival Cruises. Royal was very nice, but I missed Carnival. The food choices were not there or close by like Carnival. I desperately missed Guys Burgers. Always seems like a party when we get on Carnival with the burgers going and the drink servers everywhere. We grabbed some lunch in the Windjammer Buffet, crowded, picked over and nothing special.

You could get Pizza and sandwiches on the Promenade but always a line and nothing special. Second day paid the flat fee for Johnny Rockets around $10.00. Underwhelmed

Carnival has so much better food choices like Sandwiches, Blue Iguana, Guys, Pizza etc. that are really good and seems there is always something close by.

Room service was a bit of a joke on RC too.

Don’t get me wrong the ship was nice, service top notch, dining room food was good, but I missed my food choices on Carnival.

Looking to book my next cruise on Carnival

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree with you! We went on one on Royal Caribbean in February....it was nice, we have cruised on several different lines but they have not been as fun as Carnival!! I missed the food by the pool and Iove the activity in the pool areas! I also missed the candy shop!!! For the money you can not beat Carnival. (Actually the Royal Caribbean was less expensive than our next Carnival) AND.... I actually sat on the deck on the royal Royal Caribbean ship and booked a cruise on Carnival with my PVP via text...for 16 people!!! The beauty of cruising is that there is literally a ship for everyone... you just have to find what fits : -)!!!

Just off the Explorer of the Seas. First RC Cruise after six Carnival Cruises. Royal was very nice, but I missed Carnival. The food choices were not there or close by like Carnival. I desperately missed Guys Burgers. Always seems like a party when we get on Carnival with the burgers going and the drink servers everywhere. We grabbed some lunch in the Windjammer Buffet, crowded, picked over and nothing special.

You could get Pizza and sandwiches on the Promenade but always a line and nothing special. Second day paid the flat fee for Johnny Rockets around $10.00. Underwhelmed

Carnival has so much better food choices like Sandwiches, Blue Iguana, Guys, Pizza etc. that are really good and seems there is always something close by.

Don’t get me wrong the ship was nice, service top notch, dining room food was good, but I missed my food choices on Carnival.

We were on a Carnival cruise in 1994 and said Never Again .Then we tried Royal and are now loyal to Royal.

I been on 77 cruises so far and RC is better than Carnival. The OP did go on an older ship but that ship blows out all of Carnivals ships. We are also loyal now to RC although I had a $600 credit with Carnival and had to book something out so we will use that cruise in February as a diet cruise after the holidays. Guys Burgers oh not for us we don't eat fast food.

By the way, the Oasis class ships have a candy shop its called Candy Beach.

Sparks1093- You will have a wonderful cruise, I haven't been on that class of ship but you be sure I will down the road.

I think it all depends on where you are in your cruising life and what your food choices are. I really don’t think one cruise line is better than another. Right now I have 2 Royal booked, 2 Carnival, 1 Celebrity and 1 NCL. I also like cruises that are longer than 10 days, whether it’s one cruise or I add several together. I cruise now for itineraries, and will book any ship that takes me where I want to go.

Food is subjective, as others say on Cruise Critic everytime somebody mentions food. I don’t eat hamburgers, so I don’t miss Guy’s. Others could eat them 3 meals a day. I’m also not a foodie, so I’m perfectly happy with whatever food is offered.

I will say that Royal’s entertainment is much better, especially on Oasis and Quantum class. But again, it depends on what people like. I love Broadway type shows, and I don’t do the comedy clubs.

As OP said, they like the party pool atmosphere with the hamburgers cooking. I like to sit at a bar with my Dirty Gin Martini and chat with people. Different strokes. One size does not fit all.

Cruising for almost 40 years now, and I have never met a cruise or line I didn’t like.

I like both, the pizza in the promenade on RCL is fresh out of the oven and better to me than Carnivals and RCL has better cookies.

I get priority boarding on both, so i am first to the buffet that day and i never had a problem finding food.

What I prefer on Carnival is i can sit in the buffet and nibble. RCL closes the doors between meals.

The drink servers when I board Carnival dont seem like a party to me, merely annoying. They will ask me 5 times if i want a drink, i get tired of them pushing.

Both lines have pluses and minuses. variety is the spice of life, but then i have also done princess and celebrity. I booked disney but had to cancel, but had found a good deal.

if it goes out of galveston Id go on it.

And of course the ship you choose is older, try one of the higher end ones like Oasis of the Seas.

RCL also wins in the show dept and the cafe in the promenade on Oasis, i love getting bags of chips to snack on.

I am loyal to none, just to my wallet and where I want to go.

CCL was our first cruise, RC our second and had the same thoughts as you stated. Haven't left CCL since, 16 and counting!

We just booked Anthem of the Seas for next April so we shall see. I have read a lot of posts similar to yours. How was the entertainment?

Entertainment was great. I am sure you will have a good time it’s hard not to.

I been on 77 cruises so far and RC is better than Carnival. The OP did go on an older ship but that ship blows out all of Carnivals ships. Guys Burgers oh not for us we don't eat fast food.

First of all, Guy's burgers for free blows away Johnny Rockets for 10.00. Having sailed on the Explorer of the Seas, she is a nice ship, but she certainly does not blow away the Breeze or the new Horizon. Each line has pluses and minuses and can't meet all of the expectations of a normal cruise vacationer. Unless of course you're talking about a Loyal Royal, who can never take those blinders off. At least you have cruised on Carnival, so you can make a first hand judgement, unlike many of the blowhards over on the RC boards who badmouth Carnival and have never cruised on the line.

I was Loyal to Royal for a while and decided to try Carnival for this November. I'm excited to try something different. While I've never had a cruise that I didn't really enjoy, there are definitely reasons I'm willing to try other lines. The Windjammer buffet has always been hit or miss, which is perhaps to be expected. I have some favorites, but I hate the desserts, except for one or two in the MDR (up side: I never gain weight on a Royal cruise).

I'm also not thrilled with Royal's loyalty benefits. I like priority check-in, but I don't care about top tier parties or private lounges, and the balcony discount is virtually nothing. I enjoy priority boarding and shorter lines, which are things that make my vacation more relaxing, so Carnival's FTTF was a no-brainer for me. I've already bought it for my November cruise. I'm also excited to try this melting cake I keep hearing about. I want to try a Norwegian cruise too.

Unreal Guy's is the worst burger at sea, a grease bomb.

I was always loyal to Royal (Diamond Plus) and tried Carnival 4 years ago. I like it and will be doing my 12th Carnival in Sept. (Platinum)

I'm not saying I'd never sail RCL again but for now, Carnival has my attention!

As a solo cruiser, I've felt more comfortable on Carnival and had a lot more fun than RCL...

At any rate, all cruises are good!

My husband and I both really enjoy carnival. We went on a RC cruise last year and felt the food and shows were better on carnival. Only thing RC had that we wish carnival had was free standing fountain machines so you don't have to go to the bar everytime you want a soda.

I agree about the food choices 100%. Much more choice on CCL.

Are there any lines for pizza on Carnival?

Bill

My husband and I both really enjoy carnival. We went on a RC cruise last year and felt the food and shows were better on carnival. Only thing RC had that we wish carnival had was free standing fountain machines so you don't have to go to the bar everytime you want a soda.

You've peeked my curiosity.

What RCI ship were you on. Just curious after reading the entertainment comment.

Bill

Agreed the free standing fountain machines were nice

This is equally so interesting to me!! I have been on Carnival (first cruise 27 years ago), Norwegian, Princess, Royal, and Celebrity. I am totally loyal to Royal, being a Diamond member. My experience with Royal is it's like staying at a Marriott hotel. It is consistently good and no matter what ship you go on, it's a great experience.

Wellllll, on Monday, I am going on the Carnival Paradise for a friend's 40th. It's so funny but I always hear how cheap Carnival is, and was looking forward to a "cheap" vacation. Holy cow!! This will be my most expensive cruise. To compare, I am staying in a Junior Suite and it is costing $917 for 5 nights (before any taxes, gratuities, etc.), so works out to be $183/night. The ship is going to Key West and Cozumel. Not ones I would call show stoppers, like Cuba for example, that warrants a higher price. I am already booked on Freedom of the Seas for August, which is a 7 night cruise, also staying in a Junior Suite. That one is costing $1,062 for 7 nights (before any taxes, gratuities, etc.) or $152/night. Now, onto the drink package. Carnival's is costing $52/day and they limit you to 15 drinks a day!! Now, I know 15 sounds like a lot but when you think about it, two mimosas for breakfast, a late morning bloody mary, 2 pina coladas in the hot sun, etc. it goes by fast. To compare, on Royal, I pay $56/day, which is unlimited drinks and internet package.

My point is everyone tells me how cheap Carnival is, yet how is this becoming my most expensive cruise vacation. They don't give away any freebies like Norwegian and Royal does, and seem to charge for everything. I feel like I am going on the Spirit Airlines of cruises.

Please tell me I'm wrong!!

You're wrong. You can't compare a 5 day cruise out of Tampa with a 7 day cruise out of San Juan. And if you're such an experienced cruiser.....why is this only your second post in almost 5 years?

This is equally so interesting to me!! I have been on Carnival (first cruise 27 years ago), Norwegian, Princess, Royal, and Celebrity. I am totally loyal to Royal, being a Diamond member. My experience with Royal is it's like staying at a Marriott hotel. It is consistently good and no matter what ship you go on, it's a great experience.

Wellllll, on Monday, I am going on the Carnival Paradise for a friend's 40th. It's so funny but I always hear how cheap Carnival is, and was looking forward to a "cheap" vacation. Holy cow!! This will be my most expensive cruise. To compare, I am staying in a Junior Suite and it is costing $917 for 5 nights (before any taxes, gratuities, etc.), so works out to be $183/night. The ship is going to Key West and Cozumel. Not ones I would call show stoppers, like Cuba for example, that warrants a higher price. I am already booked on Freedom of the Seas for August, which is a 7 night cruise, also staying in a Junior Suite. That one is costing $1,062 for 7 nights (before any taxes, gratuities, etc.) or $152/night. Now, onto the drink package. Carnival's is costing $52/day and they limit you to 15 drinks a day!! Now, I know 15 sounds like a lot but when you think about it, two mimosas for breakfast, a late morning bloody mary, 2 pina coladas in the hot sun, etc. it goes by fast. To compare, on Royal, I pay $56/day, which is unlimited drinks and internet package.

My point is everyone tells me how cheap Carnival is, yet how is this becoming my most expensive cruise vacation. They don't give away any freebies like Norwegian and Royal does, and seem to charge for everything. I feel like I am going on the Spirit Airlines of cruises.

You may be right about the cost for this particular cruise, but you try to go with an open mind. I am Diamond on Royal and Platinum on Carnival. Each line has its pluses. Carnival has lots more free food choices, and 24 hour pizza and ice cream. Carnival has a comedy club, with shows every night. On Carnival, there is almost always a party somewhere. There is a reason they are called fun ships.

A cruise is usually what you make of it. If you board with a great attitude, there is a high likelihood you will have a good time. Hope your friend has a happy birthday and you enjoy your cruise.

It's interesting to read the various pros/cons of the RCCL and Carnival, which I have done more than one time.

I did like RCCL when cruising on it, but the "main" thing I liked about it was the ice skating show, which was spectacular! I did pay a little higher price for the ship compared to Carnival, and it was fine when I did it, but I normally wind up going back to Carnival. As a few have mentioned, Johnny Rockets was OK, but.........having to pay for it, no, I did not like that. As for Guys Burgers, yes they are greasy, as some have said, but you DON'T have to eat there, as there is plenty of other food on the ship to eat!!!

That's the best statement I've ever heard on here about cruising. If it fits your liking, then that's the best cruise line for you and you shouldn't have to explain your preferences to anyone. We like Carnival. Tried RCL and didn't like it. Went back to Carnival and have no intentions of trying another line.