Thought experiments

HappyPig

Oh dear. I have prepped choices 1-5 for fall 2019 itineraries, have a budget, and range of dates. Planning to wake up hour before opening bell for Silver Castaway Club members with hubby; I will search computer while he calls. Then he asks: what if we did a river cruise in Europe? Aaargh! I LOVE DCL, but I admit for the price it is tempting. Can a European river cruise be as magical as DCL? I need to relax on vaycay. We are sans kiddos so v. Flexible. There are no wrong answers in brainstorming, thanks for thoughts or suggestions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh dear. I have prepped choices 1-5 for fall 2019 itineraries, have a budget, and range of dates. Planning to wake up hour before opening bell for Silver Castaway Club members with hubby; I will search computer while he calls. Then he asks: what if we did a river cruise in Europe? Aaargh! I LOVE DCL, but I admit for the price it is tempting. Can a European river cruise be as magical as DCL? I need to relax on vaycay. We are sans kiddos so v. Flexible. There are no wrong answers in brainstorming, thanks for thoughts or suggestions!!

A river cruise is a different animal than an ocean cruise.

You are traveling mostly at night, with a new port each morning. Often you are docked right in town. Many river cruises have included excursions.

The "night life" on a river cruise is much less than on an ocean cruise. Even less than a Disney cruise. No major shows, most evenings there may be some local entertainment (combos, singers, local dancers) brought onboard to perform before the ship sails.

Rooms are much smaller, even smaller than many other cruise lines besides DCL.

Depending on how much you are into history, local flavor, and quiet time, a river cruise could fit the bill.

A river cruise is a different animal than an ocean cruise.

You are traveling mostly at night, with a new port each morning. Often you are docked right in town. Many river cruises have included excursions.

The "night life" on a river cruise is much less than on an ocean cruise. Even less than a Disney cruise. No major shows, most evenings there may be some local entertainment (combos, singers, local dancers) brought onboard to perform before the ship sails.

Rooms are much smaller, even smaller than many other cruise lines besides DCL.

Depending on how much you are into history, local flavor, and quiet time, a river cruise could fit the bill.

Thanks so much for the insight!

I think in further cogitation we have determined there is “relaxing on a Disney cruise” and alternatively, Visiting Europe. I value my offline time on the DCL so much that I think it remains my first choice. I even prefer it to visiting WDW/ The Parks!

We have had APs for WDW for the past 5 years; this year we realized we have kind of aged out of the crowds and hassle. We like staying in one place on European vacations and digging into the local culture.

I think we will still keep our plan for a DCL cruise in fall 2019 but will be ready to readjust if the prices are crazy expensive!!

There is always Grand Marias!

Thanks so much for the insight!

I think in further cogitation we have determined there is “relaxing on a Disney cruise” and alternatively, Visiting Europe. I value my offline time on the DCL so much that I think it remains my first choice. I even prefer it to visiting WDW/ The Parks!

We have had APs for WDW for the past 5 years; this year we realized we have kind of aged out of the crowds and hassle. We like staying in one place on European vacations and digging into the local culture.

I think we will still keep our plan for a DCL cruise in fall 2019 but will be ready to readjust if the prices are crazy expensive!!

There is always Grand Marias!

Booked Nov concierge status cruise on the Fantasy; pricing similar to accommodation at WDW with fraction of hassle and superlative customer service and experience! As I age out of Space/Splash/Aerosmith Mountain, the Disney Boat is my Happy Place!