17 year old with student ID?

Hoping someone can verify, I've seen mixed things online. We are taking my son's girlfriend on our cruise this summer, but she has no ID. She is 17 years old, we had to order a copy of her birth certificate for her so we have that now. She does not have her drivers license and we don't have time to deal with that so we'd have to get her a state ID card. However I noticed in the online checkin that where it asks for a form of photo ID, one of the options listed is a student ID card, which she does have.

Are we really ok using that along with a birth certificate? I'd normally say let's be safe and get a state ID but, well, there are family issues involved and let's just say getting a copy of her birth certificate has been a real nightmare, and as someone who is not her parent or legal guardian I can't do much to get her an ID card so I'm a little worried it won't happen...

Hoping someone can verify, I've seen mixed things online. We are taking my son's girlfriend on our cruise this summer, but she has no ID. She is 17 years old, we had to order a copy of her birth certificate for her so we have that now. She does not have her drivers license and we don't have time to deal with that so we'd have to get her a state ID card. However I noticed in the online checkin that where it asks for a form of photo ID, one of the options listed is a student ID card, which she does have.

Are we really ok using that along with a birth certificate? I'd normally say let's be safe and get a state ID but, well, there are family issues involved and let's just say getting a copy of her birth certificate has been a real nightmare, and as someone who is not her parent or legal guardian I can't do much to get her an ID card so I'm a little worried it won't happen...

I believe her picture student ID will work out to use...hopefully you also have a notarized permission for this minor to sail with you.

Me......................I would hesitate to take someone else's child out of the country without a passport. I'm a little surprised that you didn't insist on it when you agreed to have the child travel with you.

Can you speak to her parents about this? I would also not send my own child out of the country with another family without a passport.

Absent that, even if a student ID "sounds" ok, I would still want a government issued one - the one that the DMV issues for non-drivers.

Personally check that birth certificate to make sure that it is properly certified.

I understand that this all may be "difficult", but after all, you have agreed to take her. The least her family can do is get her documentation in proper order.

And definitely get medical permission forms signed and notarized.

Do you all have travel insurance?

Me......................I would hesitate to take someone else's child out of the country without a passport. I'm a little surprised that you didn't insist on it when you agreed to have the child travel with you.

Can you speak to her parents about this? I would also not send my own child out of the country with another family without a passport.

Absent that, even if a student ID "sounds" ok, I would still want a government issued one - the one that the DMV issues for non-drivers.

Personally check that birth certificate to make sure that it is properly certified.

I understand that this all may be "difficult", but after all, you have agreed to take her. The least her family can do is get her documentation in proper order.

Agreeing with this. While I am comfortable taking my own children on a cruise with their birth certificates I would not be comfortable taking someone else's child unless they had a passport. A school ID issued by a public school is a government issued ID, and while it is acceptable there are obviously questions about it. We used our sons' learners permits since they didn't have drivers licenses. Anyway, if the family won't spring for a passport (for financial reasons) I would at least insist on a passport card.

A school ID issued by a public school is a government issued ID

While this is technically true, there's a big difference between a school ID, issued by a local school in a local jurisdiction, and a state ID issued by an agency (ex. the DMV) that operates state-wide or a federal ID (ex. military dependent card). At the age of 17, I'm guessing she may be able to go to the DMV and get an ID card without her parent even being there. Not the case for a DL, but may be for an ID card. She would likely need her BC and possibly her SS card.

While this is technically true, there's a big difference between a school ID, issued by a local school in a local jurisdiction, and a state ID issued by an agency (ex. the DMV) that operates state-wide or a federal ID (ex. military dependent card). At the age of 17, I'm guessing she may be able to go to the DMV and get an ID card without her parent even being there. Not the case for a DL, but may be for an ID card. She would likely need her BC and possibly her SS card.

There is nothing in the regulations that specifies that the government issued ID has to be state issued, ID's issued by local government entities are just as valid. Yes, getting a state issued ID card is an option, but applying for a passport involves the same process and maybe even less time since the DMV isn't involved.;)

Yes, we're having her dad sign a form to take her out of the country as well as a medical power of attorney.

Unless the father has sole custody, you will need signed permission from BOTH parents.

And if the Father does have sole custody, have a copy of the court order that shows this.

Unless the father has sole custody, you will need signed permission from BOTH parents.

And if the Father does have sole custody, have a copy of the court order that shows this.

In addition, that form must also be notarized, not just signed. Please be sure that birth certificate is properly certified, not just a copy.

At a minimum you should insist that she get a government issued State ID. But I would be uncomfortable taking someone else's child out of the country without a Passport. Stuff happens! I once assigned to a dinner table with a family who had to disembark in Cozumel because the kid had gotten ill. That would not be possible for your sons girlfriend if she was traveling with you had to disembark in a foreign port. If you have time I would strongly recommend that she get a passport. After 16 they are good for 10 years.

Also, a 17-year-old does not need parental permission to go to the DMV and get a state issued ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Laurin612

Hmmm I don't think a passport card will help, because you can't fly with it. Since we're only going to islands (St. Maarten, Puerto Rico and Haiti) it would not be very helpful for an emergency. However looking at the requirements it looks like a 17 year old does not need a photo ID to get a passport, they just need a parent or guardian to show up with a photo id. So we might actually be able to pull this off. We've got 34 days until departure so it will be tight...

Am I correct in understanding that if we get her a passport we will not need to get her a photo id? We could just skip the ID and get a passport then. TSA lists a passport as an acceptable document, but she's also 17 and they say under 18 no identity documentation is required too. So I'm thinking just a passport would work.

My son's passport came in less than 3 weeks so if we can get parental co-operation we might be able to make it happen.

We do have all the other documents of course, I've cruised several times before with my ex-stepchildren (who, legally, are just random kids), so we know what to do. We'll get a consent to travel, we already have a copy of his court order for sole custody and we're also going to get a temporary power of attorney. I've never once had anyone ask to see any of that documentation in the past, of course, but better to be safe than sorry.

Hmmm I don't think a passport card will help, because you can't fly with it. Since we're only going to islands (St. Maarten, Puerto Rico and Haiti) it would not be very helpful for an emergency. However looking at the requirements it looks like a 17 year old does not need a photo ID to get a passport, they just need a parent or guardian to show up with a photo id. So we might actually be able to pull this off. We've got 34 days until departure so it will be tight...

Legally both parents have to be present at the same time to obtain the passport, unless one parent has sole LEGAL custody, not just sole physical custody. Check the paperwork her dad gave you to make sure if specifies that he has both (they should both be listed separately).

If she can get a passport in 34 days then yes, that’s all she needs. If not, go with the birth certificate and school ID. My daughter has used her school ID at the airport, but she has always had a passport for cruises so I’m not sure about that, but a school ID should be fine for someone under 18 without a license. I wouldn’t love that situation, but if worse comes to worse you can probably get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Am I correct in understanding that if we get her a passport we will not need to get her a photo id? We could just skip the ID and get a passport then. TSA lists a passport as an acceptable document, but she's also 17 and they say under 18 no identity documentation is required too. So I'm thinking just a passport would work.

My son's passport came in less than 3 weeks so if we can get parental co-operation we might be able to make it happen.

We do have all the other documents of course, I've cruised several times before with my ex-stepchildren (who, legally, are just random kids), so we know what to do. We'll get a consent to travel, we already have a copy of his court order for sole custody and we're also going to get a temporary power of attorney. I've never once had anyone ask to see any of that documentation in the past, of course, but better to be safe than sorry.

I only mentioned the passport card because once her information is in the State Department system it would be quicker for them to help her, but you are right it wouldn't help to fly home without intervention. If it were me I would still much prefer her to have a passport and yes, that's the only thing that she would need ID-wise. There is still plenty of time before the cruise to get one, but paying for expedited service would ensure it made it in time.

Is there a reason that her parents cant obtain all this for you? It seems like a lot that you are taking on. It would be much easier if they did it. I wouldn't take her unless she had all correct documentation. And I would verify with rccl.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

(y)(y)

Is there a reason that her parents cant obtain all this for you? It seems like a lot that you are taking on. It would be much easier if they did it.

I don't really feel it's appropriate to share such information about someone else's family online, suffice it to say that not all kids out there are lucky enough to belong to the kind of stable, functional and affluent families that most of us likely have or grew up with. We are indeed taking care of a lot, and we're perfectly ok with doing so.

I don't really feel it's appropriate to share such information about someone else's family online, suffice it to say that not all kids out there are lucky enough to belong to the kind of stable, functional and affluent families that most of us likely have or grew up with. We are indeed taking care of a lot, and we're perfectly ok with doing so.
Well! Ok. Lol. Have a nice time. Just for the record, I really dont care about the why and how. I thought the parents could help and was interested in the answers. But I guess being that I'm stable functional and affluent, I just dont get it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I'm not trying to be rude. I also come from what I would consider a stable, functional and at least financially stable family that can afford vacations like this. I'm just trying to say, there are kids out there who don't have that luxury and getting parents to deal with international travel can be, shall we say, a challenge. I'm being vague and it may come off as condescending but really, I'm just trying to avoid spelling out personal information about the situation of someone else's family online, not disparage anyone for their privilege (as I also consider myself quite privileged).

Well I think we're ok now and going to try and get a passport route since it appears we don't need a driver's license for that as I thought. Though still trying to decipher the state department info.

They say:

You must present a government-issued photo identification document (ID) when submitting Form DS-11 if you are:

* Over age 18

* The parent or guardian identifying an applicant under age 18

Which to me reads like she doesn't need a photo ID, but her dad will need to bring his (as the parent for her). But from their list of acceptable secondary documents it sounds like if that's not the case we should be able to get by with presenting her student id and an "Identifying Witness" statement from her father or myself.