Princess Sun Reported Passenger Overboard South of Singapore

Expat Cruise

The passenger is reported to be an Australian man in his 80's. Reported missing at around 1.30 pm, Saturday May 19, 2018 100 nautical miles south-east of Singapore. The cruise line search until dark. It is now about 28 hours since the MOB happen.

No not good at all. The water is warm in that area but almost dark here now and I'm north of the location so at MOB spot, it is dark and this is night two. Also the search has been called off already. his happen yesterday as we are a day ahead of the United States. The Sun Princess is already back to cruising for about another six days. May He Rest In Peace.....

Very very sad. Just awful, for all, family, friends, PAX, staff, crew and officers.

I agree so sad! We have no clue what he was facing in his life. In our society we should treat people as well as we do animals at the end of their life maybe this would not happen.

I agree so sad! We have no clue what he was facing in his life. In our society we should treat people as well as we do animals at the end of their life maybe this would not happen.

You are so right. I just can't picture how hard it has to be to be the person to call off the search. That would really have to hurt your heart to have to do that.

You are so right. I just can't picture how hard it has to be to be the person to call off the search. That would really have to hurt your heart to have to do that.[/quote

Very Sad ,hope he went quick! In my line of work I have seen suicides before . Nightmares for weeks! Why can't we help those that have no hope of recovery? I don't get it! I would much rather they go to sleep peaceful than jump off a ship!

Very sad for the family but I've said it before and I'll say it again - how does someone manage to 'accidentally' fall overboard?

It is virtually impossible to accidentally go overboard from any cruise ship I've ever been on. I'm 5'7" and most plexiglass around the ship is about 6 inches below my shoulder level or higher. Balcony doors are heavy with locks on them (kids can't accidentally get onto a balcony.) And during particularly rough seas, the cruise lines close the open decks for safety reasons!

Yes, I'm aware of situations where people consumed far too much alcohol, had a fight with a spouse, and jumped overboard. And there was one situation where a teen jumped off deck 4 when a Disney ship was in port--that area of the ship has since been blocked off so it is inaccessible to passengers. And I've heard of a couple of "presumed suicides." It doesn't happen "accidentally."

You are so right. I just can't picture how hard it has to be to be the person to call off the search. That would really have to hurt your heart to have to do that.[/quote

Very Sad ,hope he went quick! In my line of work I have seen suicides before . Nightmares for weeks! Why can't we help those that have no hope of recovery? I don't get it! I would much rather they go to sleep peaceful than jump off a ship!

Like many people I don't know the warning signs. And I would never think any one I know would attempt suicide.

I think that is part of the problem. Most of us don't know what to look for and don't know how to help them. Very sad.

Like many people I don't know the warning signs. And I would never think any one I know would attempt suicide.

I think that is part of the problem. Most of us don't know what to look for and don't know how to help them. Very sad.

Even if we know what to look for ..why do we let people go thru hell before dying? I just don't get it! :(Have lost quite a few family members, sister has dementia , had a bad case just a while ago. Don't sleep well at night! Let's help people when THEY decide it is time to go! I mean if they have a fatal disease.

Edited by Reader0108598

Sadly the cruise line and the several news outlets are reporting it was suicide. Not really a good way to end things and we may never now why. Condolences to his family and friends, and the people traveling with him that still had another six days on the ship.

Sadly the cruise line and the several news outlets are reporting it was suicide. Not really a good way to end things and we may never now why. Condolences to his family and friends, and the people traveling with him that still had another six days on the ship.

Will keep them in my thoughts!:(

It is virtually impossible to accidentally go overboard from any cruise ship I've ever been on. I'm 5'7" and most plexiglass around the ship is about 6 inches below my shoulder level or higher. Balcony doors are heavy with locks on them (kids can't accidentally get onto a balcony.) And during particularly rough seas' date=' the cruise lines close the open decks for safety reasons!

Yes, I'm aware of situations where people consumed far too much alcohol, had a fight with a spouse, and jumped overboard. And there was one situation where a teen jumped off deck 4 when a Disney ship was in port--that area of the ship has since been blocked off so it is inaccessible to passengers. And I've heard of a couple of "presumed suicides." It doesn't happen "accidentally."[/quote']

Don't be silly just listen to the media! You can fall or slip right off a ship!;p

This is why I resisted cruising for so long. I watched a documentary about people disappearing from cruise ships with no recourse. Then that murder happened in Alaska and the FBI got involved so I thought it would be safer. And I didn’t want to limit myself from a possibly good experience. So we booked a cruise. We leave next week. I fully expect to come back.

Don't be silly just listen to the media! You can fall or slip right off a ship!;p

Like this:

In 2007, two students came back from spring break with one heck of a story. A 22-year-old man and his 20-year-old female companion fell off a balcony into the Gulf of Mexico during a night of partying aboard the Grand Princess.

What led to their terrifying plunge is unclear: Reports circulated that they had been either re-enacting the “king of the world” scene from “Titanic” or horsing around on the balcony (the fact that he was found naked had people speculating even more, although he says he’d taken off his clothes to help him swim).

Fortunately for them, their friends saw them fall into the water, and they quickly alerted the ship’s crew. The woman was rescued about a half-hour after the man. Neither suffered life-threatening injuries; in fact, he was seen partying on the ship for the rest of the cruise.

and this:

This 2009 incident is a case of a man literally going overboard during an argument. During a cruise aboard the Carnival Sensation, a 34-year-old man went over his balcony and into the Atlantic just off Port St. Lucie. Just before that, a witness reported hearing him argue with a female companion inside the stateroom and threaten to jump. ”Go ahead,” the woman reportedly responded.

After he was in the water for about an hour screaming for help, the man was rescued by another ship, the Disney Wonder, which had changed its course to help. The Disney Wonder captain told ABC News that the victim was “beaming — big smile all over his face” after his rescue. But, the captain added, “I think he obviously regrets what had happened.”

The man was taken to the hospital for physical and mental evaluation. Let’s hope they also threw in some couples counseling.

and this:

Proof that good decisions are rarely made at 4 in the morning: In June 2009, a passenger aboard the Carnival Inspiration fell overboard about a mile southeast of Florida’s Mullet Key.

The passenger, a 46-year-old man, later recounted that he had climbed the railing to get a better look at a pilot boat but slipped and fell. He was rescued almost three hours later, when someone on a boat found him hugging a pilot marker in the shipping channel.

This is why I resisted cruising for so long. I watched a documentary about people disappearing from cruise ships with no recourse. Then that murder happened in Alaska and the FBI got involved so I thought it would be safer. And I didn’t want to limit myself from a possibly good experience. So we booked a cruise. We leave next week. I fully expect to come back.

You will be fine and have a blast cruise number 30 coming up have not fallen or been murdered yet! Although hubby is looking at me funny! ..lol