Help me choose please

CeCe_

We are considering a 10 days Southern cruise from Miami, either the Southern Caribbean Medley (without Panama) or the Panama Canal with Costa Rica and Caribbean.

We haven't been on a Panama Canal cruise before, and as much as we are tempted for it, we worried too much of a jungle cruise, or is it? What is your opinion of the two?

Are we required to take vaccine shots going that far South?

Thank you.

we've done both 10 day cruises...out of PE/FLL, not Miami

would do the Southern again in a heartbeat ( but would hopefully get to upgrade that to a 14 day Circle Caribbean - not the 2 B2B 7 days east and west...

the 10 day Panama - not so much - it was OK, enjoyed it - just not interested in doing it again

Thank you! Is the "Time Away Sale" a great bargain to jump on it? Does Princess repeat the "3 free" promotions every year?

Tom - One on Crown Princess and one on Island Princess.

Thank you! Is the "Time Away Sale" a great bargain to jump on it? Does Princess repeat the "3 free" promotions every year?

There are no vaccination requirements in the Caribbean.

Except for the ABC islands, most of the Caribbean islands are some form of 'jungle'.

we've done both 10 day cruises...out of PE/FLL, not Miami

would do the Southern again in a heartbeat ( but would hopefully get to upgrade that to a 14 day Circle Caribbean - not the 2 B2B 7 days east and west...

the 10 day Panama - not so much - it was OK, enjoyed it - just not interested in doing it again

You are right both are out of FLL.

we did the Southern on the Emerald, and the Panama we were on the Island Princess in a corner bumpout cabin...before the Island renovations

which ships are you looking at - if that even matters to you?

Condition of the ship is important to us. We like newer or recently renovated ship if possible. Not a fan for dated old ship.

Trying to compare the Crown and Island.

We have done both cruises. Just got off the Crown in Feb. (8 day ABC cruise) and we did the Panama Canal with Costa Rica in 2015 on the Coral. Both are amazing cruises but Panama Canal was my favorite! One of my bucket list items!

I've done the Panama Canal cruise twice (all the way both times).

Why do you think it is a 'jungle cruise?'

Go to Princess.com, lookup this cruise and you'll know why I think so.

We are considering a 10 days Southern cruise from Miami, either the Southern Caribbean Medley (without Panama) or the Panama Canal with Costa Rica and Caribbean.

We haven't been on a Panama Canal cruise before, and as much as we are tempted for it, we worried too much of a jungle cruise, or is it? What is your opinion of the two?

Are we required to take vaccine shots going that far South?

Thank you.

The 10 day Southern is a nice route and the Crown is a nice ship. Have been on the Crown and its sister ships a number of times. Although older I enjoy the Grand Class ships and their amenities better than the new Royal Class ships. On this 10 day voyage you will find many passengers doing b2b's. The b2b'ers like the 10 day itinerary.

I have been to the P.C. five times, most recent the 10 day on the Caribbean Princess. I prefer the Caribbean Princess over the Island Princess, although I have to say that the transit of the old locks is much more interesting than the new locks. In my opinion the Island Princess was spoiled when they re-configured it taking away the Universe Lounge and adding cabins for 200 more passengers in that area.

The P.C. is not a jungle cruise. You enter the lock very early in the morning, 6am or so, and transit into Gatun Lake. The ship anchors. Passengers on ships's tours are tendered ashore. Those not on ships's tours must remain on the ship. There is no private tendering. After a number of hours the ship transits back out of the locks and docks in Cristobal. Passengers on tours re-join the ship there. There is nothing at Cristobal except a tent with some vendors. Regarding tours, there are some that focus on the canal, some that transit the canal, some that go to Panama City, and some that visit the Embera's. The Embera's do live in the rain forest. Expect hot/humid weather and it can rain any time.

No beaches in Cartagena, Limon or Cristobol. Limon basically has rain forest active tours, and some boat tours. You can explore the town, but not too much there.

We did a Panama Canal crossing several years ago and enjoyed it greatly. In April, we did a "partial transit" on the Caribbean Princess. I wouldn't do it again. It is not a "jungle cruise" at all.

We liked the Caribbean Princess. However, the port times were quite horrible. They were very short and often had "start times" like 6:30 am. The time we were allowed off the ship in Panama was shortened to about 45 minutes--I do realize that this wasn't due to the ship authorities, but rather those running the canal. When looking at the cruises, look at the port times in advance, realizing that they can change. Also, the port charges on the Panama cruise were very high compared to the same length Caribbean cruise.

We've done lots of Caribbean cruises on various lines and various ships. While we like some ports better than others, I would do this again.

Go to Princess.com, lookup this cruise and you'll know why I think so.

If you are looking at the picture of a river in the jungle, I can understand why you think that way.

The cruise is NOTHING like that unless you take an excursion to one of the smaller rivers.

But I don't see any PC sailings on the Crown ... only the Coral and Island so I was wondering if I was looking at the right sailing.

Here's a link to my blog post about our sailing. You can see in the picture that the river is wide open

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2011/02/review-transiting-panama-canal-on-coral.html

Thank you Terry.

Did you get enough beaches time on a Panama cruise?

We were fortunate to have Aruba and Grand Cayman included with our Panama Canal so yes we did. Beach time is my favorite. The ABC southern carribean is all about beach days. We are doing the 10 day Eastern Carribean in Feb. Cannot await!

We've done them both and absolutely loved them both.

If you are interested more in beautiful beaches and islands, the Southern Caribbean, including the ABC islands is probably what you will want choose.

If you are more interested in some history and have a fascination with the engineering marvel of the Panama Canal, you'll want to choose that itinerary. So many interesting places on this sailing, none of which were beachy.

They are very different types of sailings. Only you know what holds a bigger interest for you and your family.

Thank you all for the valuable information.

After think about it, i agree that the Southern Caribbean, the itinerary, the ship, the beaches, would be a better choice for us. And, we will be doing this with a 7-days b2b on Symphony At The SEA (embark from Miami). It would be a wonderful vacation for me and my husband.

Diane, yes, that's the picture. Thanks for sharing the link.

We've done them both and absolutely loved them both.

If you are interested more in beautiful beaches and islands, the Southern Caribbean, including the ABC islands is probably what you will want choose.

If you are more interested in some history and have a fascination with the engineering marvel of the Panama Canal, you'll want to choose that itinerary. So many interesting places on this sailing, none of which were beachy.

They are very different types of sailings. Only you know what holds a bigger interest for you and your family.

Totally agree. Spot on advice.