Coffee cards

Dorset Cruiser

See that coffee cards are $35.65 if purchased pre-cruise. Are they more expensive on the ship? Thinking of keeping our bar setup and swopping out for just gin and tonics and buying coffee cards. We usually swop bar set up for two coffee cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry. You can only swap full bar setups for coffee cards.

I am aware of that but you can swap contents of your bar. We would just want gin and tonics. We have done this before with no problem by phoning room service. I was asking about the cost of coffee cards on board [emoji848]

See that coffee cards are $35.65 if purchased pre-cruise. Are they more expensive on the ship? Thinking of keeping our bar setup and swopping out for just gin and tonics and buying coffee cards. We usually swop bar set up for two coffee cards.

Same price on board as pre-purchase

I am aware of that but you can swap contents of your bar. We would just want gin and tonics. We have done this before with no problem by phoning room service. I was asking about the cost of coffee cards on board [emoji848]

If you're interested in saving a few bucks there are several coffee cards for sale on ebay. I have found the price of coffee cards have varied on the ships from $35 to $38 but not higher. They have changed the rules on them and put an expiration date on them of Dec 2018 so you would not be able to use them past that date if you have any punches leftover.

No benefit to purchasing in advance except that they'd be in your room when you boarded...sometimes. We've also had situations where there was a voucher in the room and we had to go somewhere to exchange that for the card/soda glass, etc. In that case, you may as well just buy the card on board and you can use OBC for it in that situation.

Yes, you can swap out items in the mini-bar for other items.

No benefit to purchasing in advance except that they'd be in your room when you boarded...sometimes. We've also had situations where there was a voucher in the room and we had to go somewhere to exchange that for the card/soda glass' date=' etc. In that case, you may as well just buy the card on board and you can use OBC for it in that situation.

Yes, you can swap out items in the mini-bar for other items.[/quote']

Thanks - $35.65 pre-bought. Think we will wait until we get on and purchase them [emoji846]

FYI: just off a B2B last Sunday in a Suite on the Star and exchanged both of our mini-bars for 4 coffee cards. None of the cards had any markings on them. When I began using one card, the barista filled in the ship name and yoyage number...nothing else...no expiration date.

FYI: just off a B2B last Sunday in a Suite on the Star and exchanged both of our mini-bars for 4 coffee cards. None of the cards had any markings on them. When I began using one card, the barista filled in the ship name and yoyage number...nothing else...no expiration date.

Correct--on cards with an expiration date, the date is pre-printed on the card.

actually it effectively 'expired' your ability to get free brewed coffees after that cruise.

isn't that the crux of the whole situation...that passengers were expecting to get the free fresh brewed coffee for multiple cruises as long as they had a single punch left?:confused:

actually it effectively 'expired' your ability to get free brewed coffees after that cruise.

isn't that the crux of the whole situation...that passengers were expecting to get the free fresh brewed coffee for multiple cruises as long as they had a single punch left?:confused:

Well, that might be part of the issue. But the bigger issue is that no one knows whether the un-used punches will continue to be honored after the printed expiration date.

I always knew that unlimited fresh brew was only on the current sailing; however, I thought the new concern was the cards with a preprinted expiration date affected the inability to use the remaining punches left on the cards after the expiration date.

Well' date=' that might be part of the issue. But the bigger issue is that no one knows whether the un-used punches will continue to be honored after the printed expiration date.[/quote']

if you knowingly purchase a card with a pre-printed expiration date...why would you expect otherwise??

if you knowingly purchase a card with a pre-printed expiration date...why would you expect otherwise??

The problem is that you don't KNOW what you are purchasing until you get it. In April, we got two cards with no date on them. Others have reported getting undated cards since then....but we also know that as early as February, some of the cards had dates printed.

So, if I have an undated card, does that mean that my punches are good forever? In the past, that has been the policy. but no one knows what the ongoing policy will be.

On my next cruise, I'll have to wait till I have a card in my hand to determine which card to use first--if the "new" one has a date printed, I'll use it.

Dumb question here......but, do all the cabins have mini bars? And everything inside it is yours for consumption at no extra charge?

The only dumb question is the unasked question [she said sententiously]. No, there are no minibars per se, such as you find in a hotel room. Your cabin will have a dorm-size mini fridge and a large bottle of water, which will be charged to you if you open/consume.

The "minibar" you see people here refer to is a perk for those who have achieved Elite level in the past-passenger program and for those sailing in full suites. It's a non-replenishable set-up of some airplane-size bottles, beer?, and sodas/mixers that can be changed out/swapped for various things.

TIt's a non-replenishable set-up of some airplane-size bottles, beer?, and sodas/mixers that can be changed out/swapped for various things.

All of the items in the elite/suite mini-bar can be replenished, at a per-item price.

There is usually a card with a price list somewhere in the cabin.

If you're interested in saving a few bucks there are several coffee cards for sale on ebay. I have found the price of coffee cards have varied on the ships from $35 to $38 but not higher. They have changed the rules on them and put an expiration date on them of Dec 2018 so you would not be able to use them past that date if you have any punches leftover.

Just a heads up. I bought cards from ebay with no expiration date for our cruise in April. Depending on the barista, some punched my card for regular brewed coffee as well as specialty coffees. Was a crap shoot as some didn't even look at the back and others really checked.

Just got off the Ruby 2 weeks ago, and they were 20% off on the boat.

Just a heads up. I bought cards from ebay with no expiration date for our cruise in April. Depending on the barista, some punched my card for regular brewed coffee as well as specialty coffees. Was a crap shoot as some didn't even look at the back and others really checked.

Why did you use a punch for reg. coffee? Wouldn't it cost less to just purchase it there? Still, I would have pressed the Barista to not punch the card.. unless it already had a previous cruise number written on the back.

The way I see it is that I am buying 15 specialty coffees,it is not something that is free; I even pay for it in advance.

Because we pay for the card there should not be an expiry date, next thing you know they will put a "Best Before" date on it.

On the other hand I think it should not be possible to use the card indefinitely as bought. If they, due to inflation—higher product cost--etcetera, need to add an additional charge so be it.

As an example; when we buy a card for $35.00 during one cruise and we use the leftover punches a year later when the card might be $39.00 we happily pay the $ 4.00.

Just my 2 cents ($ 4.00) worth.

Theo

Edited by Renmar