Just finished Alaska Inside Passage (Glaicer Bay) on Ruby

TrueNorth21

Just finished 7-day Alaskan cruise Inside Passage (Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria BC). Be happy to answer any questions the best I can!

How was the food? What time was boarding? I’m going in August and it says boarding starts at 1.

How was the food? What time was boarding? I’m going in August and it says boarding starts at 1.

The food was pretty good. Breakfast buffet was standard (eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast etc.) but well done with many choices. We didn't hit the lunch buffet often but I wasn't very impressed, they seemed to have a theme each day but there was always a wide selection. Dining Room was very good in my opinion, there never was a night were there weren't multiple entrees I wanted to try. Also ate at the Crown Grill which was excellent. Don't want to ramble but I can go into more detail if you'd like!

We were on board by 11:30 AM. Our boarding also said 1 PM so I'm sure that is just the standard they say. We were on the first bus to the Port around 9:30ish I want to say. Probably arrived at port at 10:30. Then between all the check-ins on board by 11:30. It was quick and painless!

Do you remember what night Italian was in the MDR?

Also, when you arrived in port, do you remember what areas of the ship they opened to get off?

I ask this because a recent cruiser. Anthony stated that it was very much in disarray and nobody knew where people were allowed to get off the ship. and I'm traveling with a mobility limited guest.

Thank you and hope you had a fantastic trip.!!!

And did you see any whales or bears?

How was the weather was it very cold?

Tony

The weather was cold but nothing too terrible. Probably around 50ish average. The mornings were always rough, but it was usually quite nice by afternoon. The wind was the worst part. We got lucky at port as Juneau was the only rainy day. Ketchikan you could have walked around in shorts and a t-shirt, it was beautiful. Layers are key as you'll read anywhere. This was my 2nd Alaskan cruise. Last time we went in July and I don't remember wearing anything heavier than a sweatshirt and jeans.

What did you do in the ports?

Juneau- we did a guided hike by Mendenhall glacier. It was very nice and you avoided the the crowds at the visitor center. You also get some better views in my opinion. Afterwards we walked around town and checked out the tourist shops. Hit a few local bars. Line was out the door for the Red Dog Saloon so we avoided that.

Skagway- We did Rock Climbing the morning. Not my cup of tea but it was still a lot of fun and the guides were the best we had all trip. In the afternoon we did an Ocean Raft Adventure were they take you out at sea and show you some of the waterfalls and nature up close. Probably the best excursion of the trip.

Ketchikan- We rode ATV/Go-Kart combos up a trail to an outlook. It was a blast but very dusty due to the lack of rain the past days.

Victoria- We just walked around and checked out a few local breweries. Beautiful city.

Also, when you arrived in port, do you remember what areas of the ship they opened to get off?

I ask this because a recent cruiser. Anthony stated that it was very much in disarray and nobody knew where people were allowed to get off the ship. and I'm traveling with a mobility limited guest.

It was usually the Port side and decks 4, 5, or 6. They announce overhead when arrive in port where to disembark and on what floors. There were usually two exits to get off and get back on. It does get a bit chaotic as the lines build up very fast and people get confused where to go and with people cutting and all that good stuff. In your case I might recommend waiting for the initial rush to get off and you should have no problem exiting with ease.

We didn't see a whale until the last day sailing to Victoria, though many people saw them in Glacier Bay. I saw bear briefly in Ketchikan on our excursion but it ran quickly into the woods. It was a great trip and I'm sure you will have an amazing time also!

As you'll see in many other threads after you've looked around a bit here on CC...the boarding time is a suggestion, unless you're notified a day or 2 before the cruise that there's an inspection or deep cleaning required.

Was Mike there?

He is our favorite bartender. Usually in that one bar over by the place.

Ahhh... Mike. Not a patch on Chris on Emerald but, since he's just in the one bar over by the place I'll cut him some slack. (Actually, Chris on Emerald was the absolute best bartender I've ever had - and I had him for 28 days straight with the beverage package. :))

Either Anthony wasn't on a Princess ship or he may be on heavy drugs - or overindulged the beverage package. There are always announcements as to the disembarkation location and then there are also always signs in the hallways near the stairwells and elevators. It would be pretty difficult to not be able to figure out where to disembark.

I can understand why remarks of that sort might make you concerned about getting off in ports with a mobility impaired person but I really don't think it will be an issue. Princess makes it very clear where to go. Relax and enjoy your cruise. I wish I was cruising soon but don't have another booked until November. (My wife reserves the summer months for our land trips and I have to say she does a fantastic job of figuring them out.)

Anthony stated that it was very much in disarray and nobody knew where people were allowed to get off the ship. and I'm traveling with a mobility limited guest.

In over 20 cruises on Princess we have never had an issue determining where to exit the ship. It is announced over the PA system once disembarkation is ready to commence. If you miss the announcement any of the crew in the Piazza will be able to tell you which deck to exit from. On a 31 day cruise in 2016/2017 I was using a cane when touring and again on a 25 day cruise last fall sailing just 3 months after hip replacements (both hips) surgery. The crew couldn't have been more helpful on both cruises. I hope all goes well for your friend or family member and don't hesitate to ask questions or for simple assistance if necessary.

We’re you in Anytime Dining or Traditional? Would you happen to notice if there was a long wait time for Anytime Dining? I heard that Anytime Dining started early (4:30pm) for the Ruby cruises to Alaska and I was wondering if that reduced the wait time during the peak hours 6:30-7:30pm).

We’re you in Anytime Dining or Traditional? Would you happen to notice if there was a long wait time for Anytime Dining? I heard that Anytime Dining started early (4:30pm) for the Ruby cruises to Alaska and I was wondering if that reduced the wait time during the peak hours 6:30-7:30pm).

We had Anytime. Longest wait was 5 minutes and we ate at a different time each day. If you are fine eating with other people you get seated almost right away. Only time we had to wait was when we wanted a table to ourselves.

We had Anytime. Longest wait was 5 minutes and we ate at a different time each day. If you are fine eating with other people you get seated almost right away. Only time we had to wait was when we wanted a table to ourselves.

Thank you very much! That is great to hear about the minimal wait times.

It was usually the Port side and decks 4, 5, or 6. They announce overhead when arrive in port where to disembark and on what floors. There were usually two exits to get off and get back on. It does get a bit chaotic as the lines build up very fast and people get confused where to go and with people cutting and all that good stuff. In your case I might recommend waiting for the initial rush to get off and you should have no problem exiting with ease.

We didn't see a whale until the last day sailing to Victoria, though many people saw them in Glacier Bay. I saw bear briefly in Ketchikan on our excursion but it ran quickly into the woods. It was a great trip and I'm sure you will have an amazing time also!

Thank you!

Either Anthony wasn't on a Princess ship or he may be on heavy drugs - or overindulged the beverage package. There are always announcements as to the disembarkation location and then there are also always signs in the hallways near the stairwells and elevators. It would be pretty difficult to not be able to figure out where to disembark.

I can understand why remarks of that sort might make you concerned about getting off in ports with a mobility impaired person but I really don't think it will be an issue. Princess makes it very clear where to go. Relax and enjoy your cruise. I wish I was cruising soon but don't have another booked until November. (My wife reserves the summer months for our land trips and I have to say she does a fantastic job of figuring them out.)

Hi Thrak, Anthony actually was on the first Ruby Princess cruise to Alaska a few weeks ago, those were more my interpretation of his words ,than his words. He was just stating that they were very disorganized and things weren't very clear on where to leave the ship at port. He was extremely kind to post all the patters that I was looking for someone to post and answered many questions everyone had.:)

In over 20 cruises on Princess we have never had an issue determining where to exit the ship. It is announced over the PA system once disembarkation is ready to commence. If you miss the announcement any of the crew in the Piazza will be able to tell you which deck to exit from. On a 31 day cruise in 2016/2017 I was using a cane when touring and again on a 25 day cruise last fall sailing just 3 months after hip replacements (both hips) surgery. The crew couldn't have been more helpful on both cruises. I hope all goes well for your friend or family member and don't hesitate to ask questions or for simple assistance if necessary.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help and everyone else's suggestions and comments.!!

Red:cool: