Tide Pods in Laundry

Jthomasou

Is their laundry reasonable on board? We never realized that they had one. Do you have to stay with the laundry or is it safe to come back in an hour to switch it all? Just normal laundry, nothing fancy that I would imagine anyone would want to steal.

Is their laundry reasonable on board? We never realized that they had one. Do you have to stay with the laundry or is it safe to come back in an hour to switch it all? Just normal laundry, nothing fancy that I would imagine anyone would want to steal.

Yah i mean most people don't even go into the laundry room so you should be fine leaving and coming back i would just make sure you come back when you need to as to not hog it all day

washer and dryer are three and some change for each

i think the only thing I would ever use is maybe the dryer when we go to alaska just in case we have issues with our shoes getting wet other than that I have no intention of doing laundry i rather just pack what i need for the week and do my laundry when i am back home

Guys I've been on 4 cruises..about to go on my 5th and never had a clue that this self service option was available. We've got 4 older kids and every once in awhile I'd cave and pay something like $2 for a pair of socks and $3 for underclothes (EACH!) which I thought was insanely ridiculous. More often than not I was scrubbing them in the shower and hanging it all out to dry while the rest of the family was playing ping pong or going down the slides. Sometimes on a long cruise or vacation I just tossed them and would buy new ones at a market to save the hassle as they could go through more than 2 sets per day each in the intense heat!

I don't want to be overly mushy here, but this thread alone has just made my next trip so much nicer. I'll set my alarm or do whatever is appropriate. I'm just so thankful not to have to hand scrub numerous pairs of grubby socks anymore! You guys are awesome. :)

Edit: To elaborate, we do a lot of flights that allow carryon only. We do this internationally as well as domestically and get quite limited on space, especially on vacations that are 2 - 4 weeks long! I've washed more than I would have liked to by hand!

Guys I've been on 4 cruises..about to go on my 5th and never had a clue that this self service option was available. We've got 4 older kids and every once in awhile I'd cave and pay something like $2 for a pair of socks and $3 for underclothes (EACH!) which I thought was insanely ridiculous. More often than not I was scrubbing them in the shower and hanging it all out to dry while the rest of the family was playing ping pong or going down the slides. Sometimes on a long cruise or vacation I just tossed them and would buy new ones at a market to save the hassle as they could go through more than 2 sets per day each in the intense heat!

I don't want to be overly mushy here, but this thread alone has just made my next trip so much nicer. I'll set my alarm or do whatever is appropriate. I'm just so thankful not to have to hand scrub numerous pairs of grubby socks anymore! You guys are awesome. :)

Edit: To elaborate, we do a lot of flights that allow carryon only. We do this internationally as well as domestically and get quite limited on space, especially on vacations that are 2 - 4 weeks long! I've washed more than I would have liked to by hand!

I agree -- this is why I love Cruise Critic. There's always something new to learn. :)

Doing laundry is probably last on my list of favorite things to do while on vacation, but as you know it's sometimes a necessity. We try to pack light and I refuse to haul tons of heavy luggage.

We often travel with our two adult kids. For our upcoming cruise, we are flying out the day ahead, then have an 8 day cruise. Add the travel day home, and that means ten days' worth of dirty clothes -- multiplied by four people. That's a lot of stuff to pack and dirty laundry to haul home!

A few thoughts... the laundry rooms are going to be crowded on sea days. Best to catch them early in the morning, during elegant night dinner if you aren't into dressing up, or during port days if you aren't planning to be off the ship the whole time.

Tide Pods should work fine, but I actually prefer to take powdered laundry detergent. That way I can parcel out just a small amount if I want to wash small items in my sink. (Of course, in a pinch you could use the ship-supplied shampoo for this.)

Also, there is an ironing board and iron in the laundry room if you need to touch up your clothes.

The machine will tell you how long you have. I think it’s around 30mins wash and 45 mins dry. I make sure I’m back before the machine goes off. There are only a couple of washers in each room. You won’t be happy if you drag all your clothes to the Landry room and someone has both washers tied up because the machines run for 30 mins and the person decided to leave for an hour. I want to say it costs $3 to wash and $3 to dry...something like that. The single serving tides are $1.50. One time I got double charged for that so now I just bring my own. 75 cents at a laundromat here.

can you use pods in the laundry or does it need to be the powder?

Yes, you can. We did in our last cruise. Was so easy to put them in a zip lock bag, in our luggage, and they worked great in the washer. We did a couple of large loads and they came out really clean.

We learned a few cruises back to buy these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purex-Complete-3-In-1-Spring-Oasis-Laundry-Sheets-22ct/16419328 Just throw one sheet in the washer for the detergent, then leave it with the wash in the dryer for the fabric softener. Not sure what the third part is but they do a great job and don't take up any space when you pack your luggage. We just take them out of the box and put them in a zip lock bag.

Be careful with the irons. Check the bottom before you use them. Some are filthy on the bottom.

On some ships, the machines take coins. On the newer ships or ones that have been updated, there is a box on the wall that you swipe your S&S card, then press the number of what machine you want to use. Then the machine starts. No need for coins.

I'm not sure but I have read on here that the machines won't work while in port. If you do a search it will tell you what floor and location of where the laundry rooms are located.

If you have any ironing to do for Elegant Nights, don't wait until the last minute. There will be people lined up waiting to use the iron.

By the way, the laundry rooms are very small. Just enough room for the washers and dryers, one fold down ironing board with an iron hard wired in and a deep sink. No folding table.

There is also the laundry bag in the cabin. I think it's $15 a bag for all that you can roll up tight and stuff in it. Don't put anything in it that can't take heat. They use extremely hot water and high heat to dry. It's great for socks and underwear and Tees. Leave it on your bed in the morning and the cabin steward will turn it in. It usually comes back later that night all clean and folded. Beats doing it yourself.

There is also the laundry bag in the cabin. I think it's $15 a bag for all that you can roll up tight and stuff in it. Don't put anything in it that can't take heat. They use extremely hot water and high heat to dry. It's great for socks and underwear and Tees. Leave it on your bed in the morning and the cabin steward will turn it in. It usually comes back later that night all clean and folded. Beats doing it yourself.

We did this when we went to Europe as we were there for 18 days half by cruise half on land so at the end of our cruise we crammed so much stuff into 2 bags especially the underclothes its amazing how much stuff you can get in a bag if you fold your clothes just the right way

Those 3 in 1's are genuis. Sold out currently, but I'm sure I can find them on Amazon. Even $15/bag doesn't seem unreasonable compared to what we paid at the last all inclusive resort. This is all one last thing that I'm going to have to stress about. Thanks again!

We always bring a small pack of tide pods, or generic equivalents and do a load or two halfway through. Any unused pods can be givrn away. As far as sticking around and waiting is concerned, I have two things to point out...

1) Be mindful. Some folks "forget" and leave their stuff in there for hours, taking up machine space. (I have removed someone elses stuff and 'neatly' stacked it on an ironing board or dryer' after they left it there for over an hour). Setting a timer is fine, or...

2) I just check my watch, go grab a drink, and come back with a book to wait. Nobody gets inconvenienced due to me, and if a machine becomes available early, I can transfer my stuff over.

I am not saying this to be preacy or critical, and I am not saying that you would do this, but it does happen, so just be mindful :)

You can really save luggage space by spending just a copule hours doing laundry in the laundry rooms.

We did this when we went to Europe as we were there for 18 days half by cruise half on land so at the end of our cruise we crammed so much stuff into 2 bags especially the underclothes its amazing how much stuff you can get in a bag if you fold your clothes just the right way

When we cruised on the Dream, our cabin steward told us that the best way is to roll them as tight as possible. We had one bag full and she re-did it and got it down to about 3/4 of the bag. She advised us to hold off until the bag was full to get our money's worth. Two days later we sent it in. It took two bags to deliver them back to us. She knew her stuff!

I don't care what the price is.

If my partner is spending time doing laundry, I failed him or her.

They've earned this vacation as much, if not more, than anyone.

That's what I am saying I don't wanna spend my vacation doing laundry or even having someone else do my laundry because that is time I have to take to prepare the bag - the only reason we did it in Europe was out of the necessity of being there for almost 3 weeks and we could not pack that much clothing

Doing laundry, or sending it out, is a lifesaver, especially when flying. We are platinum and get the free laundry bag, it’s small but helps a ton. Before we were platinum, and even now, we use the laundry room to help out on some of the weight of the dirty clothes. It is so refreshing to come home with clean laundry in the suitcase. I especially like the laundry service for swimwear , as it doesn’t seem to ever get dry in the cabin. The pods work well, I also buy bleach pods for home and those travel well too as they are already measured. Just make sure to pack the pods in ziploc bags to keep them dry. Liquid will dissolve the bleach pods and that would be horrible. We usually cruise from our local port of Galveston so we can pack a small jug of bleach if needed. Or buying it on the ship is not an issue either. Something for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always run the washer then go back to my room. I set the timer on my phone for 25 minutes, then when it goes of I return to the laundry room and wait to put the clothes into the dryer. I repeat the timer for the dryer after going back to my room. I don't want to forget my laundry and prevent the next person from using the washer and dryer.

(y) Same here...

Laundry rooms on Carnival are one thing that they have over RC. I don't want to do laundry but not having to bring huge suitcases, especially as we like to disembark as early as possible, sure makes life easier! I am platinum now but hesitant to have them do my laundry as I never wash in hot water. May give it a try for a few things this time (Magic, May 26!).

We have used the pods without issue and also always put in our laundry, left it and come back and get it when the time is up. Never had a problem.

I have always been amazed that anyone can take a seven day cruise and not use the laundry. We are heavy on the clothes though as we always wear an outfit during the day and change into another for dinner.

Edited by asalligo

We've gone on 7 cruises and I've had to do laundry on the last seaday each time. I didn't realize the laundry bag was so cheap. My husband always runs out of shorts and tshirts.

I will never do laundry again! Laundry service here I come!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't care what the price is.

If my partner is spending time doing laundry, I failed him or her.

They've earned this vacation as much, if not more, than anyone.

My spouse always help me and we just go throw them in washer and set a timer and go back and throw them in dryer . I know some who refuse to do laundry on vacation but with a family of 4 it starts piling up. We would rather use a little bit of time when we are on vacation to get some of it done rather than have it all to do when we get home which is usually the day before we have to return to our jobs. I still feel like we have a great vacation and we haven't failed each other for simply doing a couple loads of laundry while on vacation.