Friends of Bill W

Lesstax

Recently returned (seems like a lifetime ago) from Connie. Every day meetings were advertised, but that’s the good point, Initially they were advertised to take place in the Library, on the face of it a sensible venue, but when the Library has 4/5 people in it happily reading, were we supposed to share the venue or ask the readers to vacate. Not ideal. We took it upon ourselves to put a sign on the window of the Library and changed the venue to a private setting utilising Qsine. Told customer services of the issue and the exact nature of these meetings and the need for them to be a private space. They agreed and next day the meeting was advertised in Qsine at 2pm, we turned up and of course Lunch was coming to an end so went away and reconvened at 4pm. We then ignored what was in the daily planner and met at 4pm. For anybody who doesn’t know or may have seen it in their daily planner and thought to themselves that Bill W has lots of friends it is actually code for Alcoholics Anonymous. People who are in recovery or even just starting their journey, it is a place to meet other like minded individuals, and in an environment that can be Alcohol Intensive it can be a safe place to meet up. My point is surely whoever organises the daily planner should have some knowledge of the various events and meetings taking place, and each events requirements. You wouldn’t see them holding a Sunday service at The Martini Bar or would you.

Recently returned (seems like a lifetime ago) from Connie. Every day meetings were advertised, but that’s the good point, Initially they were advertised to take place in the Library, on the face of it a sensible venue, but when the Library has 4/5 people in it happily reading, were we supposed to share the venue or ask the readers to vacate. Not ideal. We took it upon ourselves to put a sign on the window of the Library and changed the venue to a private setting utilising Qsine. Told customer services of the issue and the exact nature of these meetings and the need for them to be a private space. They agreed and next day the meeting was advertised in Qsine at 2pm, we turned up and of course Lunch was coming to an end so went away and reconvened at 4pm. We then ignored what was in the daily planner and met at 4pm. For anybody who doesn’t know or may have seen it in their daily planner and thought to themselves that Bill W has lots of friends it is actually code for Alcoholics Anonymous. People who are in recovery or even just starting their journey, it is a place to meet other like minded individuals, and in an environment that can be Alcohol Intensive it can be a safe place to meet up. My point is surely whoever organises the daily planner should have some knowledge of the various events and meetings taking place, and each events requirements. You wouldn’t see them holding a Sunday service at The Martini Bar or would you.

Ummmm I’ve seen many a Sunday service held in a bar.

Recently returned (seems like a lifetime ago) from Connie. Every day meetings were advertised, but that’s the good point, Initially they were advertised to take place in the Library, on the face of it a sensible venue, but when the Library has 4/5 people in it happily reading, were we supposed to share the venue or ask the readers to vacate. Not ideal. We took it upon ourselves to put a sign on the window of the Library and changed the venue to a private setting utilising Qsine. Told customer services of the issue and the exact nature of these meetings and the need for them to be a private space. They agreed and next day the meeting was advertised in Qsine at 2pm, we turned up and of course Lunch was coming to an end so went away and reconvened at 4pm. We then ignored what was in the daily planner and met at 4pm. For anybody who doesn’t know or may have seen it in their daily planner and thought to themselves that Bill W has lots of friends it is actually code for Alcoholics Anonymous. People who are in recovery or even just starting their journey, it is a place to meet other like minded individuals, and in an environment that can be Alcohol Intensive it can be a safe place to meet up. My point is surely whoever organises the daily planner should have some knowledge of the various events and meetings taking place, and each events requirements. You wouldn’t see them holding a Sunday service at The Martini Bar or would you.[/quote

I'm a licensed psychotherapist and it never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know what "Friends of Bill W." is, nor the importance of these meetings on a cruise ship. I have to explain this to my friends, who cruise with me, EVERY cruise! I also stress this name is to protect the anonymity of the members of this group and how we must honor every person's choice of beverage on the ship. Some people just flat out don't drink alcohol, others of us do so in moderation and others to excess on ships. Personally, I'm allergic to white sugar and have a heck of time explaining to people why I can't eat or drink sugary stuff. It's a challenge but it beats my nausea and vomiting when I ingest sugar.

I Am sorry that this issue cropped up, yet even very very very happy that you and the others took matters into your own hands to figure this out, even with the disappointments for a few meets.

I trust things will be better on future sailings... time will tell.

Now you know how you may need to plan for this going forward and hopefully the Hotel Manager can assist early if you or anyone else notices any issues with meeting space it can be brought to their attention immediately.

bon voyage

I Am sorry that this issue cropped up, yet even very very very happy that you and the others took matters into your own hands to figure this out, even with the disappointments for a few meets.

I trust things will be better on future sailings... time will tell.

Now you know how you may need to plan for this going forward and hopefully the Hotel Manager can assist early if you or anyone else notices any issues with meeting space it can be brought to their attention immediately.

bon voyage

We were all 15 + years sober, but someone in their early days could really struggle, and may have issues ensuring they make contact. The importance of meetings on board cannot be underestimated, and I speak from personal experience I truly appreciate the fact they are catered for. It is one reason I will not sail a UK cruiseliner as (Happy to be put straight) they do not host them.

It is important that the staff are educated about what they are, and how important they can be, to avoid any unnecessary embarrassment.

We were all 15 + years sober, but someone in their early days could really struggle, and may have issues ensuring they make contact. The importance of meetings on board cannot be underestimated, and I speak from personal experience I truly appreciate the fact they are catered for. It is one reason I will not sail a UK cruiseliner as (Happy to be put straight) they do not host them.

It is important that the staff are educated about what they are, and how important they can be, to avoid any unnecessary embarrassment.

Thank you and I laud you and others who use the meetings as a source of support during sailings which can be very tempting as it is all around us there...

bon voyage

Hmmmmm ... holding a meeting in an area open to the public?? That doesn't sound like very good planning. I wonder if they would schedule the chapel or one of the conference rooms for this meeting. It seems like either would be a more conducive venue for this gathering.

Wow!! I always wondered who the heck Bill and his friend were. What a fantastic thing that this is offered across cruise lines. Not being a drinker my self it was not on my radar. However I am so thankful for those overcoming or needing support have this. Cruising is a very 'alcohol intensive', its nice to know there is a place and friends to surround oneself with.

Yes - they had meetings every day on our recent Solstice cruise..... I must admit my wife & I did wonder who Bill W was and why his friends were meeting every night.... I don't know why they just didn't say it was Alcoholics Anonymous in the daily planner there's nothing wrong with that is there?