FTTF - Carry On or Check the bags

Darwal

I had FTTF once before and only had one bag so I carried it on myself and quickly ran it to the room. This time our kids will be with us and we will have additional luggage. My question, if you have had FTTF, did you carry on your own luggage knowing you can bring it straight to your room without lugging it all over the ship OR did you still use the baggage check \ porter option?

We haven't checked luggage in years!! What you do will depend on how you end up packing. IF you call can manage the luggage yourselves then just carry it onto the ship. Small children have wheeled school backpacks they can use for some of their things if that helps.

so i can bring my own luggage on the boat with FTTF? I would rather do that. we are all bringing one bag each (DH, DD, DS, and myself)

You can always bring your own bags regardless of having FTTF or not, the only rule I am aware of is number of bags per person and the size of the bag because they have to hit through the xray scanner. Dimensions are listed on Carnivals website.

The kids are 12 and 15, more than capable of bringing wheeled bags. I'm thinking 2 suitcases, one for parents and one for kids and then a couple additional carry-on's for misc stuff (camera, cpap, etc)

Just a note - this post has nothing to do with recent discussions of lost \ damages bags or porter tips, this is just a question of curiosity what others do. I think I'm leaning towards just carrying it all on since the room is supposed to be ready.

I check my large bag and carryon my small shoulder bag.

I don't unpack until the next day, so I don't care when I get my luggage.

I wouldn't mind taking all my own luggage, but I hate lugging it up the very long gangway. If I could board at pier level on deck 0 I would probably do that.

I also am not worried about lost luggage

I prefer to carry my luggage on so I can get unpacked right away - Sometimes not always I like to take an afternoon nap before Muster - I generally take naps every day at home so it is no different on the boat I just happen to enjoy my nap time and before Muster is the perfect time as nothing is going on - But in order for me to sleep I would need my fan which happens to be in my luggage so I like to bring it with me

Not to mention I just feel better knowing everything is unpacked and in it's spot which allows me to fully relax and enjoy myself

If I had FTTF (we did 2 weeks ago on Vista).

I would check the bags.

We were on ship, bags (3) delivered to the room ( Havana Aft Wrap), unpacked, all bedding changed ( wife bring on sheets and pillow cases) met and tipped or steward and having lunch in the Italian Restaurant a little after 12.

Backpack with all personal items passports etc.. stayed with us.

We have had FTTF on our last four cruises. On two of the cruises, our luggage was sitting in the passageway outside our cabin when we boarded.

We would rather turn them over to the porters and not have to deal with them. Remember that once boarding starts, the elevators are jam packed with people. Do you want to have to deal with a full elevator trying to get yourself and your luggage into it.

We've enjoyed priority boarding the last 3 years and though we personally have not carried all of our luggage on board, but we have known many that do and they were happy about it.

So my advice is as long as your whole family is in agreement do whichever is decided on.

Edited by maryred

I had FTTF once before and only had one bag so I carried it on myself and quickly ran it to the room. This time our kids will be with us and we will have additional luggage. My question, if you have had FTTF, did you carry on your own luggage knowing you can bring it straight to your room without lugging it all over the ship OR did you still use the baggage check \ porter option?

It depends on the size.

Having FTTF, Platinum, or whatever doesn't guarantee your bags will be at your cabin door early. I've seen it soone,r and later.

But, if you do have FTTF, or Platinum and beyond, drop your stuff off in you cabin, quick-like-a-bunny, so you can beat the hoards to your first lunch. Then, relax, and enjoy your cruise!;)

The only luggage I use on a cruise is a 21" roll on that I've wheeled onto the ship since I became eligible for priority boarding. I go right to my cabin, unpack in 10 minutes, and then find the BBQ place for an unhurried lunch.

It's a nice, relaxing way to start a cruise.

We had FTTF for the first time on our cruise earlier this year, and carried on our luggage. Be prepared to be asked repeatedly if you want to check your bags;)

My husband and I are healthy so would have no issue carrying up the stairs if elevators were an issue and use spinner cases that wheel easily. We did use the elevators to take the bags up, but there was little wait since we boarded early.

For our next cruise we will try to reduce one bag each since it was a little crowded in the terminal and we don't want to inconvenience others with our bags.