FYI - Sky - Not all wine under $15 included

jdvmd

Disembarked the Sky last Friday.

During the week, we ate at LeBistro where husband and I ordered two glasses of wine each. Listed in the wine list with a per glass price as well as a bottle price. I switched from the Italian Borrigiano at $6.25 a glass to the good old North & South blend, also costing $6.25. Selections by the glass are extremely limited.

Was surprised when the bill came that we were charged for wine because we thought everything under $15 was included. This was not clarified either by the server. Had we known, we would have ordered a bottle of wine instead.

Apparently on the Sky, you can only have house wine like La Terra cabernet etc.

It is often going to appear on the bill then be zeroed off your ship board account later. Are you sure you actually ended up paying for it?

Definitely paid for it.

Also, discussed with the server after the bill came. It actually got a little heated on my part because it was not disclosed beforehand.

Had never heard of this before.

It is often going to appear on the bill then be zeroed off your ship board account later. Are you sure you actually ended up paying for it?

I was on tbe Sky in April and had wine with dinner and was not charged?

Wasn't charged in Crossings but requested LaTerra, the house cab. No charge for house wines.

Server at LeBistro said we were charged because the wines chosen were not house wines though they were under $15 each.

Just a bit irritating as with the 20 percent gratuity, those four glasses of wine came to $30 and they were not good.

I think the Sky is different than the other ships in the fleet. Sky and now Sun are A1's. UBP is not offered on their cruises. I've read that the selection of drinks, wine or cocktails, is limited and not all are included in the A1.

Is there a gratuity charge for drinks? I've read that the DSC is quite a bit higher, too, right?

Hope you had an enjoyable cruise regardless of the surprise charges.

Cheers

Disembarked the Sky last Friday.

During the week, we ate at LeBistro where husband and I ordered two glasses of wine each. Listed in the wine list with a per glass price as well as a bottle price. I switched from the Italian Borrigiano at $6.25 a glass to the good old North & South blend, also costing $6.25. Selections by the glass are extremely limited.

Was surprised when the bill came that we were charged for wine because we thought everything under $15 was included. This was not clarified either by the server. Had we known, we would have ordered a bottle of wine instead.

Apparently on the Sky, you can only have house wine like La Terra cabernet etc.

It appears from your post that you might be confusing the two drink promotions.

The UBP that guests can purchase, and that is part of the ongoing Free at Sea promos has the $15 cutoff in place to determine what is or is not included. This is available for all NCL ships except for the POA, Sky, and the short sailings of the Sun.

The open bar that is offered for the Sky and select Sun sailings specifically states that it includes "designated spirits, cocktails, bottled beer, draft beer, and wines by the glass and unlimited fountain soda and juices". The key word here is "designated". It does not rely on the $15 cutoff, it relies on the spirit, cocktail, beer, or wine being on the "designated" list.

The UBP that guests can purchase, and that is part of the ongoing Free at Sea promos has the $15 cutoff in place to determine what is or is not included. This is available for all NCL ships except for the POA, Sky, and the short sailings of the Sun.

The open bar that is offered for the Sky and select Sun sailings specifically states that it includes "designated spirits, cocktails, bottled beer, draft beer, and wines by the glass and unlimited fountain soda and juices". The key word here is "designated". It does not rely on the $15 cutoff, it relies on the spirit, cocktail, beer, or wine being on the "designated" list.

link to this designated list?

Thanks for this clarification. I will assume this applied in my case. Just interesting that my son ordered a Stella Artois and its normal cost is more than one of those glasses of wine and it was included. Everything else we ordered during the cruise was included.

link to this designated list?

Sorry for the apparent confusion. I never said I had the list, or that it was posted in a publicly available place.

I'm certain that they have a list to share, just ask the Beverage Manager, the F&B Director, or the Hotel Director at the Meet & Greet. They would be likely to happily share.

On the Sun and the Sky, if a drink has a price on the menu, it isn't free, period. There is no "$15 limit," that's for the Ultimate Beverage Package, which is on other ships and is not available on the Sun or Sky. The only exception is the handful of drinks on the first page (Rebellious Fish, Moscow Mule, Mai Tai, etc,) which have prices, but which include a souvenir glass -- you're paying for the glass, not the drink, and if you don't want it, tell the bartender so, and the drink is free.