Where is the Jewel repostitioning to in the Fall of 2019

jyoung1

I agree, I've been waiting for the Jewel's re-positioning itinerary for April 2019 for months. I'm at the point now of browsing other cruise lines to see what they have to offer.

Until NCL decided which ship is going to be in the Southern Hemisphere for the 2019/2020 summer season the whereabouts of the Jewel is in limbo.

Yes, but the Jewel is in Asia in March, having left Australia after our Summer season, and is in Alaska in May. I'm wondering when we'll know what it's doing in April. Surely the 2019/2020 Summer season wouldn't have any bearing on what the Jewel is doing in April 2019? It has to get from Asia to Alaska somehow.

The last date in Asia, available on NCL.com, is 16th March and then the first date in North America is May 20th. That is a period of about 8 weeks.

I see "concerns" Which ship is going to be in Australia and New Zealand in the southern summer of 2019/2020. There is talk that it won't be the Jewel. In that case how will the replacement get down south and that may determine the path the Jewel takes to get from Asia to North America.

The second is the "bottom line" on the cruise just completed from Yokohama to Seattle.and also the reports they get from passengers, crew and onshore suppliers about that cruise.

The third is whether the cruises north of Hong Kong have also been effective and if there is a call for short cruises Yokohama to Yokohama. Then how effective was the Golden Week charter in Japan.

8 weeks would allow:-

Cruises in China/Japan and Northern Crossing of the Pacific (Only done this year)

Cruises back to Singapore/ Australia and Southern Crossing of the Pacific. (Never done)

Cruise back to Singapore then a number of long re-positions. To Europe via India; Cross the Atlantic and Through the Panama. (Maybe possible)

The other thing to take into account is the effect of the Chinese, Japanese and Russian Authorities. They had lots of effect this year.

It will interesting to follow what is going to happen having spent 48 days on the Jewel in those areas this year and 40 days between Honolulu and Sydney last year.

It will interesting to follow what is going to happen having spent 48 days on the Jewel in those areas this year and 40 days between Honolulu and Sydney last year.

We were shipmates on the Jewel coming into Sydney last year, though we only did the Papeete to Sydney leg, having flown into Papeete and spent a few days, then joined the Jewel to cruise home. Great cruise!

We'd really wanted to be on the trip from Japan to Seattle that's just completed but it clashed with a cruise we'd already booked. As it turned out, our recent cruise was magic so no regrets, but I do hope they repeat that Japan to Seattle or Vancouver itinerary in 2019. I'm looking forward to reading reviews on it.

I'm still unable to grasp what bearing the ship chosen for the Australian/NZ 2019/2020 sailings will have on what the Jewel does in April/early May this year.... unless the aim is to have different routes for the Jewel going north and the ??? ship coming south later in 2019. But you've obviously got a good handle on what all the issues are; all I can do is cross my fingers and keep checking the NCL site for new sailings.

I feel it's a shame that NCL have chosen to have the Jewel mainly cruising NZ (already extensively covered by the other cruiselines) and the occasional "S. Pacific" cruise to have been half S Pacific ports and half hugging the Australian coast. As an Australian I wouldn't bother booking on a ship that is going to take me to a disgraceful Brisbane port and a couple of Australian ports in areas I've been to anyway. With the main market probably being Australians, I'd think this would put many off. I wonder if this could make NCL's Sydney based cruises less popular than they hoped.

NCL would, I think, have done better offering some decent South Pacific ports, or ports not so often visited, eg Champagne Bay, Mare, Mystery Island, and definitely some appealing Fijian ports such as Dravuni Island rather than unappealing Suva, Lautoka.

Tonga and Samoa, too, are not common on present Australian based cruise ship itineraries. They could have made a positive point of difference between them and Australia's Carnival and RCI S. Pacific itineraries. But I suppose there's good logistical reasons why some of the more beautiful and pristine ports aren't so often visited.