Do the menus reflect the destination?

ChrisB123

We'll be taking the 15 day to Hawaii and I was wondering if the menus (we will be on the Star) will have Hawaiian theme. I'm really looking forward to it. :D

Princess has a standard set of menus although they do add some things related to destinations. One of my complaints about cruising is that you do not eat like the locals as you do on a land based tour. Remember they have to try to satisfy 2500+/- passengers on a daily basis, so it is easier with the tried and true. If you want a “luau” experience you will have to find that on shore.

We'll be taking the 15 day to Hawaii and I was wondering if the menus (we will be on the Star) will have Hawaiian theme. I'm really looking forward to it. :D

We found at least one Hawaiian themed entree each night. Mostly the fish dishes. The one I was most looking forward to was Kalua Pork. Sadly, the day that was the feature, we went to afternoon tea and were still stuffed at dinner time, so I didn’t get to have it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No Spam musubi, loco moco, kalua pork, poi (wall paper paste) or Spam fried rice. All very simple dishes to make for the masses.

Princess is missing an opportunity to provide local easy to make dishes. Princess could do a Hawaiian themed lunch on a sea day prior to arriving at the islands, similar to the Pub Lunch.

Mai Tai as the drink special with Hawaiian rum. Maybe a Luau on an open deck.

I'm seeing an awful lot of seafood on my upcoming Alaska cruise. {S I G H , I don't much like seafood; I see pizza (and that is now deemed "bad" here on CC) and burgers in my future.}

You should expect seafood. Remember you are on the sea. If stores get tight the crew just drops a couple of lines off the bow and catches tomorrow’s lunch.

Here’s a link to their Aloha Spirit webpage:

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/hawaii-cruises/things-to-do/

SAVOR HAWAII

Our team of talented chefs will take you on a mouthwatering culinary journey with exclusive "Aloha Spirit" menus, featuring freshly prepared and carefully curated Hawaiian dishes. You'll quickly see why Food & Wine magazine named us Best Cruise Line for Food Lovers. Delight in slow-roasted Luau pork, delectably marinated Kona shrimp, divine Hawaiian Macadamia-infused desserts and, of course, refreshing Hawaiian-inspired cocktails. Friendly crew members also host open tastings and culinary demonstrations so you can truly immerse yourself in the wonderful flavors Hawaii.

View Hawaiian culinary photo gallery

I'm seeing an awful lot of seafood on my upcoming Alaska cruise. {S I G H , I don't much like seafood; I see pizza (and that is now deemed "bad" here on CC) and burgers in my future.}

What? You mean I'm not the only person who isn't excited by salmon? I don't like crab at all. Somebody has to be "the guy" who doesn't like crab so I fulfill that function. (I've also never purchased coffee at Starbuck's. :rolleyes:)

There will be plenty of offerings in MDR that aren't seafood. You should be able to eat - and eat well - while avoiding the "swimmy stuff". :D

Only way to find out if it is truly "BAD" is to try it yourself. Food is entirely subjective.

Princess has made attempts to improve the food offerings to include some local dishes. It started a few years ago. I still remember my disappointment on our first cruise to New England/Canada when the menus were exactly the same as we'd had in the Caribbean. Now there's usually one or two dishes each night to match the destination.

Chris,

We just got off the Grand today. On our Ultimate Ship Tour, the chef was asked how the menu changes for the 3 different routes the ship takes throughout the year. He said that they had a set menu with some items that are taken out and replaced depending on where they are- in Alaska one set, Hawaii another and the CA coastal has a different set. Each replacement set reflecting where they were visiting.

He commented that all food is loaded in San Francisco, home port for the Grand, with the exception of Halibut and Salmon being brought on in Ketchikan.

-Jerie

Yukonjake,

We found the pizza in Alfredo's on the Grand (last week) to be quite good! We did not try the other pizza location- didn't look that great - so can't compare. My husband had a burger from the Trident grill as well as the main dining room- he enjoyed both, but said the main dining room was definitely better. (Could it have been the bacon on that burger????)

I would recommend staying away from the lobster on the last formal night- probably my least favorite meal of the entire cruise..

have a great trip!

-Jerie

SAVOR HAWAII

Our team of talented chefs will take you on a mouthwatering culinary journey with exclusive "Aloha Spirit" menus, featuring freshly prepared and carefully curated Hawaiian dishes. You'll quickly see why Food & Wine magazine named us Best Cruise Line for Food Lovers. Delight in slow-roasted Luau pork, delectably marinated Kona shrimp, divine Hawaiian Macadamia-infused desserts and, of course, refreshing Hawaiian-inspired cocktails. Friendly crew members also host open tastings and culinary demonstrations so you can truly immerse yourself in the wonderful flavors Hawaii.

HOLY COW! Now I'm HUNGRY!

SAVOR HAWAII

Ope the6 have hat n our round trip out of Aus, sounds delightful.