Question about luggage size, please advise!

ashton57

Called Carnival and they told me luggage can’t measure more then 24 wide and 16 high. I’m trying to figure out how they do there measurements. Would that mean a 28 inch spinner would be too large? Any advice appreciate!

If you are checking luggage, a 28" will be fine. If you plan to carry it on, it must fit through the same xray scanner as you have at the airport. The belt area of the scanner will accommodate a bag that is 24 wide and 16 thick, and any length. There will be someone along to tell you that they were able to heave their 28" bag onto the scanner belt and it went through. But good luck getting through the door with it - they will try to head you off. EM

Called Carnival and they told me luggage can’t measure more then 24 wide and 16 high. I’m trying to figure out how they do there measurements. Would that mean a 28 inch spinner would be too large? Any advice appreciate!

Yes too large.

If you are checking your bag with the porter, you can have a large suitcase. I've seen probably 30" suitcases or larger sitting outside people's cabins. So your 28" spinner is fine. I've taken a 29" suitcase onboard, but checked it w/ porters.

if you are carrying onboard, it needs to be smaller to fit through the scanner.

Here's the rules per Carnivals website:

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1373/~/embarkation---luggage-information

Look at the airline rules...cruiseships are pretty much the same...but they aren't as strict.

LOCK your bags if you're checking them. Do NOT leave them unlocked...that's just total idiocy. I don't care WHAT their website says...LOCK your bags!

Yes too large.

No, no , no. OP, please see HerbertandB's post below for the Carnival rules. The dimensions in the rule state specifically that those measurements are when the luggage is lying flat! The height of the luggage when standing does not matter.

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1373/~/embarkation---luggage-information

https://help.carnival.com/app/answer...ge-information

Generally the measurements will be the two shortest sides, so your 28" spinner is probably 28" long and within the height (depth) and width dimensions. Check at home to be sure.

If you are checking luggage, a 28" will be fine. If you plan to carry it on, it must fit through the same xray scanner as you have at the airport. The belt area of the scanner will accommodate a bag that is 24 wide and 16 thick, and any length. There will be someone along to tell you that they were able to heave their 28" bag onto the scanner belt and it went through. But good luck getting through the door with it - they will try to head you off. EM

Checked luggage dimensions are what Carnival is giving. If you arrive past a certain time (which is often advised to reduce wait/allow immediate access to your room without paying for FTTF) baggage checking has stopped and you have to carry on all with you anyway.

At airports we have had scanners that the standing height/length mattered also due to fitting in overhead. Cruise terminals use a belt that makes the length irrelevant.

OP - Measure your luggage at home and make sure it fits Carnival guidelines. If you will not be going to your cabin right away, check larger pieces. If you are going to your room immediately you might still want to check your larger bags. Space can be tight in the terminal and you don't want to crowd other passenger's space with your luggage. (Sorry if more info than your were looking for;))

I have taken a 32" (length) suitcase a few times. Once I even had a porter comment that he'd never seen such a large suitcase, but it made it on board just fine and not another word was said.

I've never known the official policy until now. Looks like the 24" guideline is for the width, so your 28" (long) spinner will be fine.

Advice? Check you luggage, instead of lugging it around.

The dimensions given by Carnival are for both checked and carry-on suitcases. I highlighted for you below. :halo:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answer...ge-information

Generally the measurements will be the two shortest sides, so your 28" spinner is probably 28" long and within the height (depth) and width dimensions. Check at home to be sure.

Checked luggage dimensions are what Carnival is giving. If you arrive past a certain time (which is often advised to reduce wait/allow immediate access to your room without paying for FTTF) baggage checking has stopped and you have to carry on all with you anyway.

At airports we have had scanners that the standing height/length mattered also due to fitting in overhead. Cruise terminals use a belt that makes the length irrelevant.

OP - Measure your luggage at home and make sure it fits Carnival guidelines. If you will not be going to your cabin right away, check larger pieces. If you are going to your room immediately you might still want to check your larger bags. Space can be tight in the terminal and you don't want to crowd other passenger's space with your luggage. (Sorry if more info than your were looking for;))

The dimensions given by Carnival are for both checked and carry-on suitcases. I highlighted for you below. :halo:

Thanks, Schoifmom:) I was trying to clarify for those who were stating that only carry-on's need to fit through the scanners and implying that checked bags didn't have the same size limits. I missed carry-on in my quote, good catch.