• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

I posted this on another thread to help with some ideas when visiting Liverpool for a day. As Liverpool is becoming an increasingly popular cruise destination I thought I'd give it its own thread. It's my home city and I'm very proud of it. I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Liverpool as best I can. In the meantime, here are some suggestions:

First of all, I am not a tour guide. I’m just someone that loves the city of Liverpool. I have lived and worked here virtually all of my life. I am also passionate about cruising and hope to help some of my fellow cruisers to enjoy my city. There is a good informative website at http://www.visitliverpool.com/

I am working on the basis that your ship docks at 7am, but that you won’t come ashore until at least 8.30 to 9am. Remember that Liverpool is a working city and that you’ll be arriving on a normal work day. The Pier Head where you dock is in the business district, so when you come ashore there will be lots of people arriving for work.

I am pretty sure that the first ferry tour is at 10am (before then it’s just a working ferry) and the Maritime Museum doesn’t open until 10am. I’d suggest that you enjoy the waterfront, which is a world heritage site and hopefully the building work that has scarred it during the whole of 2008 will be completed by July.

If you look around you will see the Titanic memorial, on which can still be seen signs of bomb damage. It doesn’t have Titanic named anywhere on it. http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_memorial-liverpool_engineers.shtml

The three buildings you see are called the ‘Three Graces’ and I believe that you can access the entrance hall of each. Don’t worry in case they are not open to the public. This is England. If they ask you to leave they’ll be very polite. The Liver (pronounced Lie –ver) building is my favourite. Check out the Liver birds on top. Legend says that if they fly away then a great catastrophe will befall the city. They’re still there despite Hitler’s best efforts.

For anyone, like me, with an interest in history, there’s an interesting plaque, built into a wall on the left of the Pier Head as you look towards the buildings. It commemorates more than a million American soldiers who passed through the port during the second world war on their way to free Europe. We owe those boys an immense debt and I often wonder how many of them didn’t make it home. The plaque is relatively small and you may have to look for it, but stop by, take a photo and remember what we owe them.

Although the Maritime Museum doesn’t open until 10am the buildings surrounding it are worth a visit themselves. This is the Albert Dock area. For anyone interested there is the Tate Art Gallery in the dock. This is one of the finest modern galleries outside London, so I’m told. Admission is free, but again it doesn’t open until 10am. Those of you more interested in art can substitute the Tate for the Maritime Museum. Or do both! http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/information/

After taking a look around the Pier Head and Albert Dock buildings, it should be time for the Maritime Museum to open at 10am. Again, admission is free, and inside you can find information and exhibits tracing the maritime history of this great city from its earliest beginnings right up to the present day. My favourite exhibit is the Titanic exhibition (remember Titanic was registered in Liverpool, the home of the White Star Line) or the ‘Liverpool in WW2’ area. You can spend up to two hours in here quite easily. There are also outside exhibits such as the Harbour Master’s house and many boats are open to the public. I suggest you stay here for an hour or so. For those who like the Beatles there is a Beatles Museum (entry fee applies) at the Albert Dock. There are also tours which leave from around here. Be aware that this is a tourist area so it will get busy in July. You can get more info, and even book a tour online at

http://www.albertdock.com/

After you have finished at the Maritime Museum, you should walk back to the Pier Head (you’ll only be a couple of hundred yards away) and take the Mersey Ferry tour. Check out the timetable, so you’re not waiting too long. You can find this and even buy your (cheap) tickets online at: http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/

The tour will take you about an hour. You can get a snack lunch onboard. After the tour you can then head up into Liverpool proper. Don’t forget you will still be right in front of your ship, so you can even go back on board, freshen up, have lunch and still have a full afternoon ahead.

A taxi up into the city centre will cost very little, as it’s only half a mile or so right up to say Lime Street Station. However, it’s much more interesting on foot. Remember that you are walking in the footsteps of your forefathers when you walk through Liverpool, as something like nine million people passed through the port en route to the new world.

Also look around you and try to imagine it as it was in 1941 after the German bombing campaign reduced the city’s buildings to rubble, but couldn’t crush it’s spirit. Just google ‘Liverpool blitz’ and you’ll see what I mean.

For an interesting walk into the city you should walk up Water Street. On your right you can see India Buildings, which housed the offices of some of the world’s biggest shipping lines. At the top of the hill, just before Dale Street, you can see the Town Hall. This is an interesting building. I’m not sure if it’s open to the public or not, but I don’t think so. Worth a photo, as it was built in 1754.

Carry on up Dale Street until you get right to the end. Stay on the right hand side of the road so that you can navigate your way across the roads around the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel. You want to cross over to the bottom of William Brown Street to see the magnificent buildings there. If you want more art galleries or museums then you have two of the best here. The World Museum would take you hours to get around as would the Walker Art Gallery (entry to both is free). Visit these if you wish, but DO NOT MISS St George’s Hall, which stands proudly at the top of the hill. The entrance is actually at the other end of the building in St John’s Lane. Go into the Heritage centre and follow the (free) guided tour through the law courts and the magnificent hall itself. It’s a real unmissable building. See what I mean at: http://www.stgeorgeshall.eu/

By now it will be mid-afternoon and I think your ship sails at 7pm. You can now decide between two alternatives. Those of you who enjoy shopping can head into the centre (a couple of hundred yards away) and visit the shopping centres in Church Street, Lord Street and the new ‘Liverpool One’ Centre.

Those of you still craving culture should jump a cab up to the Anglican Cathedral (no more than £2-3) and visit the first of our two cathedrals. After visiting the Anglican Cathedral, take a walk back along Hope Street to see the magnificent Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ The King (Paddy’s wigwam to the locals). This was finished in 1967 and mass was said here by Pope John Paul II in 1982.

After shopping or visiting the cathedrals, you will probably be ready to go back to the ship, hopefully with a hatful of memories of a wonderful city. I should know, I’ve been here over 50 years!!

All the activities I’ve scheduled for the morning are within a few hundred yards of the ship and are within easy, flat walking range. Everywhere I’ve mentioned is wheelchair accessible. Have a fantastic visit to my city, then go and tell the world!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hardcore Beatles fans might also wish to consider a visit to the childhood homes of Lennon and McCartney, though they'd have to book in advance as the number of places is limited to 14 per trip (max 3 trips per day I think, so as not to wear out the carpet).

Booking is via www.nationaltrust.org.uk/beatles

Also, they could visit the sight of the original Cavern club and sample a pint in one of the pubs where they used to drink (The Grapes on Matthew St)

I really enjoyed Liverpool. The hop-on-hop-off bus takes you to many of the sites you mentioned- including where the Beatles grew up and the music school that Paul McCartney attended. Then you see various churches and remnants of the damage done during the war.

I had a great time in Liverpool- did alot of walking also and found it to be a great tourist city.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot!

Follow your spirit! And upon this charge

Cry `God for Harry! England! and St. George.' "

Shakespeare: Henry V., iii. 1.

HAPPY ST. GEORGE'S DAY!!!

HAPPY ST. GEORGE'S DAY!!!
Ah, yes. Just as the United Kingdom is (IIRC) the only country of which the Queen is the Head of State which does not celebrate her birthday with a holiday, England is probably the only country that does not mark a national day at all.

Is that a sign of our work ethic, or what? :)

Towncar T,

Thank you for the post. I had read one of yours on another site, and had already decided to do a walking tour of your fine city. This new post on our Aug. 24, 2009 cruise has given me some more good information, and we are looking foreword to a great time.

Capt. & Teach:)

Towncar T,

Thank you for the post. I had read one of yours on another site, and had already decided to do a walking tour of your fine city. This new post on our Aug. 24, 2009 cruise has given me some more good information, and we are looking foreword to a great time.

Capt. & Teach

That's great. I'd appreciate it if you could give me some feedback on my suggestions and our city in general after you get back. Have a great trip!!:)T

Edited by Towncar T

TOWNCAR T, we will be on Crown Princess in Liverpool on Monday, June 29. Looking forward to it, your advice is much appreciated.

Just one question - from the ship direct into the city, is it far to walk? The Ferry info you gave confused me a little, it read like you had to catch a ferry into the city, just call me a dumb colonial.!

Rule Brittania ! But cry god for Harry? I thought Charlie will be King !

Edited by NSWP

TOWNCAR T, we will be on Crown Princess in Liverpool on Monday, June 29. Looking forward to it, your advice is much appreciated.

Just one question - from the ship direct into the city, is it far to walk? The Ferry info you gave confused me a little, it read like you had to catch a ferry into the city, just call me a dumb colonial.!

Rule Brittania ! But cry god for Harry? I thought Charlie will be King !

"Far" is a relative concept. A hundred yards is far if you are on fire, or have just had your legs bitten off by a crocodile, but not if you're an Olympic runner! If you are reasonably fit (like all Australians:rolleyes:) then the walk is a breeze. Even the furthest things that I have mentioned are no more than say a 30 minute stroll. In all seriousness, it would not be easy for wheelchair users because there are one or two fairly stiff uphill stretches that would be OK to walk but maybe not to push a wheelchair.

As for the ferry, you don't catch it to get to the city. It's more of a sightseeing thing. It will depart from right next to your ship and is a pleasant way to spend an hour seeing the waterfront. It makes a couple of stops on the far side of the Mersey and then goes up river. It's quite cheap (around five quid I think) and you will get some great photos of your ship from the river side.

Sadly Britannia doesn't rule much these days, but as for the Harry and Charlie thing. Even if Chas gets the big job he won't be called King Charles. Kings always change their names for some reason unknown to me. 'Harry' is short for Henry as in Henry V, about whom those lines were written in Shakespeare's eponymous play. (History lesson thrown in for free there mate.) G'Day!;):)

TOWNCAR T Cheers mate, thanks again. I am only a young 60 year old whippersnapper, play golf 3 days a week and walk the beach other days, I think I can manage a 100 yard walk uphill for a pint of the local brew.

Rule Britannia

Edited by NSWP

TOWNCAR T Cheers mate, thanks again. I am only a young 60 year old whippersnapper, play golf 3 days a week and walk the beach other days, I think I can manage a 100 yard walk uphill for a pint of the local brew.

Rule Britannia

Just got back in from the golf course myself. Weather was nice today and I played OK. If you'd like to have a game of golf when you get here I could arrange that. I've got a couple of free passes that I won for a really nice course not more than about fifteen minutes' drive from where your ship docks. My own club is really nice but it's about 35 miles out of the city. I could arrange to borrow some clubs and all you'd need to bring would be your shoes and a handicap certificate. It's a really nice course called Wallasey. The offer's genuine if you could swing it with the missus! T:)

I only booked my British Isles cruise this week (usually plan way in advance but with all the last minute sales due to the poor economy it pays to wait and my friends and I were able to book onto the Prinsendam's August 23 cruise at a rate that would make a pirate blush) and we will be in your city on Monday August 31st from 7 am until 5 pm. Your post has made me very excited about our visit to Liverpool!!

Because the Museums do not open until 10 am, would it be possible to take the ferry tour first and then start with the rest of your suggestions so as to gain a bit more time since I am sure we will need to be back on board by 4:30? Also are there any Monday closings we should be aware of?:confused:

I only booked my British Isles cruise this week (usually plan way in advance but with all the last minute sales due to the poor economy it pays to wait and my friends and I were able to book onto the Prinsendam's August 23 cruise at a rate that would make a pirate blush) and we will be in your city on Monday August 31st from 7 am until 5 pm. Your post has made me very excited about our visit to Liverpool!!

Because the Museums do not open until 10 am, would it be possible to take the ferry tour first and then start with the rest of your suggestions so as to gain a bit more time since I am sure we will need to be back on board by 4:30? Also are there any Monday closings we should be aware of?:confused:

I have a feeling that before a certain time, the ferries are simply ferries and just go back and forth across the river, much like the Staten Island ferry. I will ring the ferry company on Monday and find out what time the first sightseeing ferry is for you, and post the answer here.

In terms of tourist attractions, I am not aware of any Monday closings. If you want to tell me which particular things you're interested in then I'll find out for you.

If you like Liverpool half as much as we like NYC then you'll love it. Can't wait to go back there in October. T:)

Steve, I just checked and like I thought the river cruises only start at 10am. Here's a link to the timetable.

http://merseyferries.co.uk/timetable/explorer-cruise.aspx

I'll have a think and see if I can find something close that opens at say 9am

I just had another thought. You could maybe just do the ferry crossing and not the tour. That way you could still get to see the waterfront from the river and get some fantastic photos of your ship. The only thing you'd miss is the commentary and a bit of a ride up the river and back to the Pier Head (and a really cheesy song by Jerry & the Pacemakers!). Just a thought. I guess the return crossing would take about half an hour, by which time the museums would be open once you've walked there.

Edited by Towncar T

I actually prefer to take a ferry with locals then one just for tourists. It give us a chance to start-up a conversation with a local chap and half the fun of being in a different place is to be able to talk to people who live there. And I can only manage that where my language skills are good enough . . . as I received part of my education in London, the British think I speak English tolerably well! LOL!

Anyway as this is my first time in Liverpool, and it's just for the day, I'm pretty much going to stick to the expert's advice (yours) and do the things you've suggested . . .it will make for a wonderful day!:D

And I'm so please to hear you'll be in my home town in October---the absolute best month as for as the weather is concerned all year (2nd best would be May). If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me. I use to pose my email address on this site but as I work full time I was getting to many emails on past tours I had arranged. I just couldn't keep up. Let me go refresh my profile.:rolleyes:

We are arriving on the Crown Princess on June 29 for a day and my son would love to tour the Liverpool's Anfield Football Stadium. Do you know how we can catch a tour from the dock? Princess has an excursion to the Stadium but it might be fun to do it on our own. We are traveling with another couple and their son--both soccer players.

Thanks!!

We are arriving on the Crown Princess on June 29 for a day and my son would love to tour the Liverpool's Anfield Football Stadium. Do you know how we can catch a tour from the dock? Princess has an excursion to the Stadium but it might be fun to do it on our own. We are traveling with another couple and their son--both soccer players.

Thanks!!

A black cab can hold up to five passengers. That might be an easy option (unless there are six of you?). The stadium is only a 10 minute cab ride from the Pier Head and there will be plenty of taxis available. :)

Morning All!

Towncar T, I have read all of your advice and trust your opinion. We'll be in Liverpool on the Crown Princess on June 29. We've rented a car from Enterprise. My husband very much wants to take a drive as far into the dales as is reasonable.

We'll be in port from 7 am to 7 pm, but I assume it will take a while to disembark and get our car.

Being so familiar with the area, could you recommend a route that would show us some of the dales landscapes and towns and get us back to the ship on time?

Thanks so much for taking the time to offer all of us your advice.

Best to you,

Erin

:)

Morning All!

Towncar T, I have read all of your advice and trust your opinion. We'll be in Liverpool on the Crown Princess on June 29. We've rented a car from Enterprise. My husband very much wants to take a drive as far into the dales as is reasonable.

We'll be in port from 7 am to 7 pm, but I assume it will take a while to disembark and get our car.

Being so familiar with the area, could you recommend a route that would show us some of the dales landscapes and towns and get us back to the ship on time?

Best to you,

Erin

By the Dales I guess you mean the Yorkshire Dales. It's not an area that I know that well, but I do know that the round trip would be something like seven hours, allowing time for traffic jams etc. I'm not sure that it's a journey I'd want to make from Liverpool on a tight deadline. Are you sure that you mean the Dales?

Here's a link to the Dales official website. You'll see that it is a fair way from Liverpool. It's also very rural, so the roads aren't the best. You could easily lose a lot of time, and if there's a jam on the motorway (very common) you could easily be held up for an hour or more. Personally, I think you'd be taking a big risk going there independently. Just my opinion.

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/

Edited by Towncar T

Morning All!

Best to you,

Erin

I took a look at the map and reckon that the nearest part is about 80 miles away. If you could get on the road by 8am then my best guess for the journey time would be at least 2 hours. I think the best way to go might be to go on the M62 then M6 then M65, which would probably be the quickest route to get you to the western edge of the Dales. Then you could spend say three or four hours exploring, but to be on the safe side you would have to leave the area no later than say 2.30pm so that you can be back before 6pm.

I still think that unless you have a compelling reason to visit the Dales on THIS trip, that you should stay in/near Liverpool. Again, just my opinion, but I also think that a few hours in the Dales will never do it justice. You should really go there for at least a few days to get the real flavour.:)T

I actually prefer to take a ferry with locals then one just for tourists. It give us a chance to start-up a conversation with a local chap and half the fun of being in a different place is to be able to talk to people who live there. And I can only manage that where my language skills are good enough . . . as I received part of my education in London, the British think I speak English tolerably well! LOL!

Anyway as this is my first time in Liverpool, and it's just for the day, I'm pretty much going to stick to the expert's advice (yours) and do the things you've suggested . . .it will make for a wonderful day!:D

And I'm so please to hear you'll be in my home town in October---the absolute best month as for as the weather is concerned all year (2nd best would be May). If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me. I use to pose my email address on this site but as I work full time I was getting to many emails on past tours I had arranged. I just couldn't keep up. Let me go refresh my profile.:rolleyes:

Bit of advice, if you're going to chat to locals on the ferry, make sure you listen extremely carefully. The scouse (Liverpool) accent can be very hard to understand if you speak to someone with a real scouse accent.

I'm originally from a town called St Helens which is about 12 miles from Liverpool, I still have difficulties understading them sometimes........

Rule Britannia

If you want a pint of decent beer, I suggest you try and find pub which serves Cains bitter, one of the best pints you'll find.

Thanks for the input.

Hmmm...not sure what to do. My husband REALLY wants to see the countryside and he wanted to take me to the Yorkshire Dales because I have greatly enjoyed the Herriott books.

I wonder if there is somewhere closer we should consider...I believe that on a post way back someone mentioned the Lake District (north of Liverpool?) but I don't know anything about it.

I don't know that I'll ever get my husband back to England so this may be his only chance to see it. (He has a long list of places he'd like to travel to!).

Thanks again for all of your thoughtful advice. You do put a lot of time into helping all of us, and it's appreciated.

Erin

Thanks for the input.

Hmmm...not sure what to do. My husband REALLY wants to see the countryside and he wanted to take me to the Yorkshire Dales because I have greatly enjoyed the Herriott books.

I wonder if there is somewhere closer we should consider...I believe that on a post way back someone mentioned the Lake District (north of Liverpool?) but I don't know anything about it.

I don't know that I'll ever get my husband back to England so this may be his only chance to see it. (He has a long list of places he'd like to travel to!).

Thanks again for all of your thoughtful advice. You do put a lot of time into helping all of us, and it's appreciated.

Erin

Well Herriot Country is really North Yorkshire, and I think perhaps a little far. Bear in mind that I'm a very cautious type when it comes to these things. We never take independent tours in case we miss the ship. If we go on excursions we always book through the ship. You may be more adventurous than me, and just want to give it a go.

If it's countryside you're after then North Wales (not England but VERY nice) is easily accessible within an hour and a half. A couple of other CCer's are going there. Lots of historic castles in North Wales and all the quaint villages you could ever want. A place called Llangollen is very popular. Very scenic ride to get there. Conway is beautiful and within a 2 hour drive. You could get a lot done in North Wales and still be back well in time for the 7pm sailing.

I don't want to put you off. I just don't want to be responsible for you missing the ship. Your next port of call is across the Irish Sea, so you couldn't even drive there. You'd end up either flying to Belfast or driving to Glasgow.

Lots to do and see in Liverpool you know. Speke Hall is beautiful;)

Thanks for the input.

Erin

The Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District are very similar distance wise from Liverpool. The Lakes have the advantage that it's 95% motorway all the way from Liverpool, where as the Dales are split more 50/50 between motorways and 'A' roads.

Also traffic is an absolute nightmare going in any direction in and out of Liverpool during the week, especially in the morning and afternoon between 4 - 6pm.

If your cruise finishes in England, have you thought about staying on an extra couple of nights and renting a car, this way you'd be able to have a better chance of seeing more in the days.

Edited by newport dave
Extra info