American Constellation Southeast AK July 28-August 4, 2018

bhopal21

Just a few comments about our recently completed cruise.

We arrived in Juneau late in the evening on July 27 and after a bit of jockeying were able to obtain a taxi to our pre cruise hotel. The Prospector is a very dated establishment with no AC which I later learned is the norm in Juneau. The temp was 78 degrees and it felt like the heat was on in my room so I opened the window which was next to a very busy thoroughfare allowing limited sleep. The front desk said they had several fans that they loan but all were already loaned out to other guests. The included bus tour of Mendenhall Glacier the next morning and delivery to the ship went very smoothly and the cabins were all ready upon our 1130 arrival. The Constellation is a very impressive ship and everything was spotless. I would say 85% of the crew was new (not only to the ship but American Cruise Lines) which caused a few bumps but overall they did an excellent job. We were surprised that a second cocktail hour was added beginning after dinner at 815. This itinerary (with the overnight in Glacier Bay) is certainly for those who like to get away and see areas not often covered on an AK cruise.

A couple of bumps were breakfast and the internet (WiFi). The implementation of room service during breakfast caused complete havoc during the morning hour which slightly improved during the week; but was still stretching the staff too thin to provide good service in the dining room. Many passengers were talking about this and in a ship this small it seems people could drag themselves to the dining room for the morning meal. We even observed folks using this for lunch (which the crew accommodated) when that is not offered.

I don't know if the Constellation has equipment problems with its routers, etc but there was not one minute of contact through WiFi with the outside world which was frustrating to many of us that have to at least have some contact while away. I will add that if you have Verizon cell service you might as well leave your phone at home while in AK. AT&T had decent coverage in all ports and nearby land areas. Guess who ditched AT&T for Verizon two weeks before our cruise?:o

The captain, Eric Brown was a delight and our group would happily sail on any itinerary where he was in charge.

I will be happy to try and answer any questions.

Mike:)

Just a few comments about our recently completed cruise.

We arrived in Juneau late in the evening on July 27 and after a bit of jockeying were able to obtain a taxi to our pre cruise hotel. The Prospector is a very dated establishment with no AC which I later learned is the norm in Juneau. The temp was 78 degrees and it felt like the heat was on in my room so I opened the window which was next to a very busy thoroughfare allowing limited sleep. The front desk said they had several fans that they loan but all were already loaned out to other guests. The included bus tour of Mendenhall Glacier the next morning and delivery to the ship went very smoothly and the cabins were all ready upon our 1130 arrival. The Constellation is a very impressive ship and everything was spotless. I would say 85% of the crew was new (not only to the ship but American Cruise Lines) which caused a few bumps but overall they did an excellent job. We were surprised that a second cocktail hour was added beginning after dinner at 815. This itinerary (with the overnight in Glacier Bay) is certainly for those who like to get away and see areas not often covered on an AK cruise.

A couple of bumps were breakfast and the internet (WiFi). The implementation of room service during breakfast caused complete havoc during the morning hour which slightly improved during the week; but was still stretching the staff too thin to provide good service in the dining room. Many passengers were talking about this and in a ship this small it seems people could drag themselves to the dining room for the morning meal. We even observed folks using this for lunch (which the crew accommodated) when that is not offered.

I don't know if the Constellation has equipment problems with its routers, etc but there was not one minute of contact through WiFi with the outside world which was frustrating to many of us that have to at least have some contact while away. I will add that if you have Verizon cell service you might as well leave your phone at home while in AK. AT&T had decent coverage in all ports and nearby land areas. Guess who ditched AT&T for Verizon two weeks before our cruise?:o

The captain, Eric Brown was a delight and our group would happily sail on any itinerary where he was in charge.

I will be happy to try and answer any questions.

Mike,

Thank you for the report. This is another itinerary that we are interested in doing.

I agree that on this sized ship, and the way ACL normally handles breakfast, room service is an unfortunate additional extra burden on the service personnel.

Was the after-dinner cocktail time an on-going event, or just a "one-timer"?

NRayH

On America, I remember a couple of times at breakfast where the folks serving our table would seem to vanish for quite a while, delaying things quite a bit. (Only happened a couple of times, though.) Wasn't savy enough then to wonder if room service might be the reason.

We too had an open bar after dinner. I'm thinking this is now standard on all ACL cruises. The only difference vis a vis the first one, was that no food snacks were provided. Of course, by then I'd had so much wine & food I just wanted to toddle off to bed (and usually did).

On America, I remember a couple of times at breakfast where the folks serving our table would seem to vanish for quite a while, delaying things quite a bit. (Only happened a couple of times, though.) Wasn't savy enough then to wonder if room service might be the reason.

We too had an open bar after dinner. I'm thinking this is now standard on all ACL cruises. The only difference vis a vis the first one, was that no food snacks were provided. Of course, by then I'd had so much wine & food I just wanted to toddle off to bed (and usually did).

On our last ACL cruise (June, 2018), we only had the pre-dinner cocktail hour.

We will be interested as to what we may have next month, during out Puget Sound cruise.

NRayH

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, same location. The bar remained open throughout the evening's entertainment.

I can see that on America, where they have a "Real" bar in the one lounge. On a number of the smaller ships, the "cocktail hour" is an temporary bar set-up, that is removed (during dinner) for the evening's entertainment (in the same lounge).

We'll see what they do aboard Spirit in a few

weeks when we board.

NRayH

I can see that on America, where they have a "Real" bar in the one lounge. On a number of the smaller ships, the "cocktail hour" is an temporary bar set-up, that is removed (during dinner) for the evening's entertainment (in the same lounge).

We'll see what they do aboard Spirit in a few

weeks when we board.

NRayH

They actually set up two bars on the Constellation the permanent bar on deck 3 then an additional bar (folding tables like on other ships) on deck 4.

I don't think the take down bar on deck 4 was open after dinner like the built in bar on deck 3 but on the other hand I didn't visit the deck 4 bar after dinner

They actually set up two bars on the Constellation the permanent bar on deck 3 then an additional bar (folding tables like on other ships) on deck 4.

I don't think the take down bar on deck 4 was open after dinner like the built in bar on deck 3 but on the other hand I didn't visit the deck 4 bar after dinner

Thanks Mike, That sounds reasonable. A temporary bar in the entertainment venue would cramp the festivities.

We have always seemed to find enough to drink, on any ship, thus avoiding "DTs" :halo:

NRayH

Thanks Mike, That sounds reasonable. A temporary bar in the entertainment venue would cramp the festivities.

We have always seemed to find enough to drink, on any ship, thus avoiding "DTs" :halo:

NRayH

Actually the permanent bar was in the entertainment area but it ran very smoothly. And like yourself we have never felt ourselves lacking for alcohol on ACL.