Sirena - worn out?

Andura

Hello everyone,

my husband and I are thinking about taking the Radiant Rhythms cruise next April on the Oceana Sirena. It woud be our first cruise with Oceana and I am pretty excited about giving it a try. But my husband is a bit unsure, because the Sirena will go to the dry doc next May for a refurnishment, Oceania Next. He is afraid that before that the ship will show its age and be poorly maintenaced before that. It is not so much aobut being an older ship and not so stylish but about being in a bad condition that could be annoying. Has anyone been on the Sirena lately and could tell me if my husbands worries are valid or (hopefully) not?

We were in a B4 cabin in Sirena's inaugural voyage. The cabin had new soft goods (ie carpet, drapes and bedding but the furniture was in bad shape. There were scratches in the wood, door falling off the hinge, etc. The bathroom was recaulked but that was it. The sink had stains and the old hairdryer was still attached to the wall and the shower curtain looked old. If you are in a PH than that would be different since they redid those cabins. The main areas were fine.

Hello everyone,

my husband and I are thinking about taking the Radiant Rhythms cruise next April on the Oceana Sirena. It woud be our first cruise with Oceana and I am pretty excited about giving it a try. But my husband is a bit unsure, because the Sirena will go to the dry doc next May for a refurnishment, Oceania Next. He is afraid that before that the ship will show its age and be poorly maintenaced before that. It is not so much aobut being an older ship and not so stylish but about being in a bad condition that could be annoying. Has anyone been on the Sirena lately and could tell me if my husbands worries are valid or (hopefully) not?

Tell your DH not too worry. We were on the Sirena for 16 days in an A1 cabin in May and had a great time and the ship looked wonderful and very well maintained and the food was fantastic!! We are currently on the Nautica and it is also in great shape!

Hello everyone,

my husband and I are thinking about taking the Radiant Rhythms cruise next April on the Oceana Sirena. It woud be our first cruise with Oceana and I am pretty excited about giving it a try. But my husband is a bit unsure, because the Sirena will go to the dry doc next May for a refurnishment, Oceania Next.

The Sirena came from Princess in 2016 & from the reports she was in pretty bad shape

After millions spent bringing her up to O standards

Yes some things were still being worked on

The new dry dock is to up date her to the new colour scheme & new look of O not because she is falling apart

JMO

• Like 1

The Sirena came from Princess in 2016 & from the reports she was in pretty bad shape

After millions spent bringing her up to O standards

Yes some things were still being worked on

The new dry dock is to up date her to the new colour scheme & new look of O not because she is falling apart

JMO

As in $40 million to fix Princess' low quality of pretty much everything!!!

We were just on the Sirena a few weeks ago. The ship is old and worn . Our couch was dirty, they had to steam it clean. The furniture was old! Worn and scratched. The bathroom was old, the shower curtain was yellow with age and the room just had a bad smell. The crew was very attentive and tried to immediately fix any issue we had. However, it's a 19 year old ship. The deck was buckling, chairs in the Terrace cafe needed repair. We left out of Miami and it took two days for the air conditioning to cool the cabins properly. The money that was spent on renovation certainly did not go to the cabins except for the suites. The food and service was excellent However very very disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

If you go to the Research tab in Cruise Critic and enter Sirena for the ship name there will be reviews from people who sailed on her. I sailed in 2016 and things may have changed.

• 4 months later...

Okay, my news about Sirena is 2 years ago (October 2016) but she looked beautiful then.  Per the complaint about lower level cabins I have to admit we were in a Vista -- thanks to the downsell we'd accepted a few months earlier on Nautica.

The thing is ... lots of people seem to be judging the "R" ships due to their age.  I'm not saying at all that ALL critical comments are because of this but there are those who want newer looking, larger ships.  And it has seemed to me that much of the criticism comes from that mindset ... which doesn't mean these people are wrong.  They are looking for something else.

We have traveled more on the "O" ships since they came on line than the "R" ships, but we've been on all of the "R" ships and had no disappointments. Oceania has always maintained the ships beautifully.  I personally am not fond of the "improvements" with NEXT, but that's my personal choice.  Certainly the OP's husband should be comforted with the information that the ships have regularly been updated and are in good condition.

Mura

We were on Sirena Dec 10-17, 2018.  Had not been on such a small ship previously.  There is some fading to fabrics here and there, but ship was beautiful, in great repair, spotlessly clean, service outstanding.  Surprisingly, since we had heard the contrary, the entertaiment was very good to excellent.  We had A1 cabin, smallest we had been in. It was roomy and plenty of storage. Tiny shower, but we dealt with it. Really loved the ship. 

WE  sailed on her in Oct. in a PH and did think she was kinda worn out.   Even the service and food did not compare with the bigger ships.  Needs a full rehab which i know will be coming in the future.  Also need to get rid of the combo Polo and Toscana. (Tuscan Steak)  Most people on board gave it poor reviews.   I guess the kitchen is too small to make it work with Red Ginger also using the same kitchen.   Good idea which did not make it.   Hope they do not make the same mistake with the other R ships.  

4 hours ago, RJB said:

WE  sailed on her in Oct. in a PH and did think she was kinda worn out.   Even the service and food did not compare with the bigger ships.  Needs a full rehab which i know will be coming in the future.  Also need to get rid of the combo Polo and Toscana. (Tuscan Steak)  Most people on board gave it poor reviews.   I guess the kitchen is too small to make it work with Red Ginger also using the same kitchen.   Good idea which did not make it.   Hope they do not make the same mistake with the other R ships.  

They are not changing the restaurants on the other R ships..

Jancruz1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Bootman4U said:

I'm sorry but when I hear the words "most people" without any documentation whatsoever as well as the words "kinda worn out" without any examples I tend to discount that "review." Call me stupid or whatever you wish.

Do not wish to call you stupid, but most of the people we came in contact with during our cruise agreed with my postings.  Kinda of worn our were my words without getting into every carpet and couch on the ship.  A lot looked pretty worn out.  Like my house when things need o be replaced.  WE can look and know. 

The Sirena is getting a full refurbishment end of April/beginning of May, 2019.  Hubby & I will be on her "inaugural" sailing May 19 - 29, Barcelona - Venice.  I am looking forward to smelling that "just cleaned & new" scent :)!

14 hours ago, sdougan said:

The Sirena is getting a full refurbishment end of April/beginning of May, 2019.  Hubby & I will be on her "inaugural" sailing May 19 - 29, Barcelona - Venice.  I am looking forward to smelling that "just cleaned & new" scent :)!

I am sure at that point it will look great.