MDR breakfast/lunch question

DancerMama25

Hello all! Please forgive my ignorance, but I am wondering about eating breakfast and lunch in the Main Dining Room. Is the MDR only open for dinners? We’ll be sailing on the Navigator of the Seas in June, 2019. Looking to have more relaxing daytime meals than fighting the crowd and throng in the Windjammer during the day. Thanks!

I can tell you that the MDR is open every day for breakfast. Hours may vary with times in port, i.e. open earlier for an early port day. Most mass market lines serve lunch in the MDR only on sea days. But I am not specifically familiar with Royal Caribbean, so I would double check on the board here for Royal Caribbean, under Cruise Lines P-Z. EM

Hello all! Please forgive my ignorance, but I am wondering about eating breakfast and lunch in the Main Dining Room. Is the MDR only open for dinners? We’ll be sailing on the Navigator of the Seas in June, 2019. Looking to have more relaxing daytime meals than fighting the crowd and throng in the Windjammer during the day. Thanks!

lunch is only offered on sea days. they do a VERY nice salad bar where you choose your own add ins and they will mix it up for you plus a small cooked to order menu.

breakfast is available daily. HOWEVER: we have found that service is abysmally slow.

I like the eggs benedict from the MDR -- I often also get a side order of bacon and hash browns. I find the breakfast to be much better than lunch in general, both in the MDR and the buffet. Remember -- the MDR is "all you can eat". RCI MDR for breakfast often has a small buffet also -- I usually get some fruit from there. And I find the orange juice in the MDR to be much better than the buffet. I'm told it is the same, but it does not taste the same to me. Besides, the buffet ices down (and therefore waters down) the juice.

The very last morning (when we disembark), we like the MDR for breakfast -- the buffet lines can be long and very slow that final morning. Even if there is a line for the MDR, it moves fairly fast (no longer than a 15 minute wait for me). I find it nice to have one final sit-down meal before leaving the ship. We usually drive down so we are not in that big of a hurry to get off the ship.

Note that buffet at night is a nice alternative to the MDR. It is not crowded, and usually has most of the same items, plus some additional ones. We usually do the night buffet when there is something scheduled that evening that conflict with dinner time (such as the ship's big band concert).

Keep in mind that the Windjammer (buffet) will be open for every meal, every day. There are also great little complementary venues (by fiance is a BIG fan of Sorrentos) where you will also be able to pick up a bite to eat. I've never found a lack of food on a cruise ship!

Keep in mind that the Windjammer (buffet) will be open for every meal, every day. There are also great little complementary venues (by fiance is a BIG fan of Sorrentos) where you will also be able to pick up a bite to eat. I've never found a lack of food on a cruise ship!

No Sorrentos on Navigator (a voyager class ship), but Cafe Promenade on deck 5 should be open most all the time. I often prefer the desserts there better than the MDR. Oh...If you do go to the buffet, be sure to go all the way back. The front part is often Asian food; the back part contains lots of choices. I like the carved ham at breakfast. On port days for lunch, your free choices are the buffet and Cafe Promenade. The buffet won't be very crowded for lunch on sea days. Here are a couple of videos of lunch on the Voyager (similar to the Navigator):

Edited by Jimnbigd